Phantom Canyon, Shelf road? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking of going on these this Saturday. Do you guys think it will be ok with the up coming weather conditions. The trails I know are pretty much gravel roads but there is a chance of 10-16 inches of snow. Taking the family out so if anyone else wants to go your more then welcome. Any impute from you guys would be awesome.

I used to drive my 2 wheel drive, 3/4 ton work van home up Phantom Canyon in the snow all the time when I was doing generator warranty work. It was the more fun way home coming from the South area. I know without a doubt you'll be OK on that side in reasonably deep snow.

I want to say that Shelf Road has no off camber spots that I remember, but my memory sometimes makes up its own stories. It doesn't snow much that way, and if it did, it will melt very quickly. There will be less snow on shelf than will be on Phantom, Shelf road sees a lot more sun.

Your rig is extremely capable, I think you'd have a good time. Remember, there's no cell service anywhere down there, but a Ham radio will get out ;)

If you are going to be down there anyway, I heard the BWOs are popping in Canon City area of the Arkansas. :clap:

Blue wing olive, a type of Mayfly. I thought Matt was a fly fisherman.

I am not a fly fisherman yet but hope to be some day. Another fj and I ran up and down shelf and phantom canyons. The lady lives right in divide and we picked her up and headed out. I got to say that is probably the most scenic trail I have ran this close to home. I am sure the snow made it that much better though.

image.jpg

I got to say that is probably the most scenic trail I have ran this close to home. I am sure the snow made it that much better though.

I hear ya. When the club went out last spring, I brought the family along and my wife and I were both amazed that all that was so close to home. It was beautiful in spring, but I think you're right, that light snow cover just makes everything look that much more impressive.
Thanks for the pics.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom