personal shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyFish

GOLD Star
Threads
Website
twitter.com
This working in my garage and making my wife step over car parts is getting old.

I've never considered renting shop space before, and I have no experience doing such a thing. I'm wondering if my LC peer group here can offer any ideas. The guy I bought Porsche 911 seats from in '19 had a shop he shared with some buddies. I think he worked at Cobb. He's my inspiration.

Any thoughts folks?

Larry

Not sure if you're looking for a ongoing space or just for when you have a project. I've threatened moving just to get a third car garage or some type of space to be able to work and not feel constrained by completing by EOD so wife could get her car in the garage. But in this housing market that's not happening.

I know in high school a budd's dad rented a stroage unit basically that had 220 and 110 plugs in the "unit" where he stored and worked on his project. There was a ton of space all around and up. Haven't seen those around here but haven't looked heavily.

I do know for just getting a lift or quick jobs you can rent space by the hour up north at https://diyatx.com/.

1612364847028.jpeg
1612364862572.jpeg

Good call on diyatx, but my current project isn’t really suitable.

You're working with a lot more space than I am!
What's that on the lift? 👀
Good eye! That's the '66 MGB my dad ordered from an Air Force base PX in '65. I spent about $20k restoring it 20 years ago, and it's worth maybe $15k now, but priceless to me. Under it is my kid's Civic. My wife's Mini parks next to Goose Poop (the project in question).

I would share a picture of my garage but what was already small now feels tiny (take that where you will).

My buddy said it was a RV storage unit (enclosed) and had the power outlets. I remember it being cooler than that but that was a long time ago

If I had a nickel every time I heard that...

I rented a 12x25 storage unit that had lights and a couple of 110v plugs for 65.00 a month for a few years that I used to work on my Jeeps. It was pretty basic but had a 10x10 roll up door. That is going to be cheaper than trying to rent a Bay from a normal shop.

I rented a 12x25 storage unit that had lights and a couple of 110v plugs for 65.00 a month for a few years that I used to work on my Jeeps. It was pretty basic but had a 10x10 roll up door. That is going to be cheaper than trying to rent a Bay from a normal shop.

I called a couple of places to explore that idea, and was told they don't let you do that anymore. Too much liability from fire and injury, too many messes. There are probably exceptions of course.

I called a couple of places to explore that idea, and was told they don't let you do that anymore. Too much liability from fire and injury, too many messes. There are probably exceptions of course.
You could always not be tooooo forthcoming with your intentions?

What part of town are you in? A long time ago we rented a storage unit off Slaughter because some of the units had electricity. Used it for band practice. Lots of guys using their units to work on cars. At least one older guy was even living in his. Found this out one night when band practice was running a little late and he came over banging on our door shouting "Some of us are trying to sleep!"

It was called Tanglewood Self Storage at the time. I think it's Extra Space Storage now. Not sure if they still have units with electricity. Slaughter Creek Dr.

@JohnnyFish did you end up finding something that suited your needs? I'm looking for something similar, have an 80 and a Mustang that need a place other than parked in front of our house. My wife has realized we are "those neighbors" :meh:

Nope. Haven’t found an affordable and reachable place. I’m SW of downtown Austin.

I’m about to move down to ATX, I would definitely be down to cost share on warehouse space or hanger... somewhere I could store a few cars...

I've found a couple of interesting candidates, but they're gone by the time I really think about doing something. Hot real-estate market these days.

@JohnnyFish did you end up finding something that suited your needs? I'm looking for something similar, have an 80 and a Mustang that need a place other than parked in front of our house. My wife has realized we are "those neighbors" :meh:
I have 2 60’s , I’m in. Yes , I’m that neighbor as well.

Ha. My neighbors hate me, too.

Yeah, it's going to be tough finding something affordable and convenient to you.

I still can't believe my cul-de-sac neighbors haven't said anything about my constant banging, grinding and the loud music past midnight... Oh, and there's also the noises coming from the garage as well. ;)

There's a spot on 1826 just south of Slaughter Ln. up for sale.

It's a metal structure with three roll up doors and ample space between those doors. It was only built a year or two ago. Not sure what it was or what it's going for but could be an interesting option for those in the south side of town. I can't find it on RedFin but there's a sign and will try to grab a picture next time I drive by.

There's a spot on 1826 just south of Slaughter Ln. up for sale.

It's a metal structure with three roll up doors and ample space between those doors. It was only built a year or two ago. Not sure what it was or what it's going for but could be an interesting option for those in the south side of town. I can't find it on RedFin but there's a sign and will try to grab a picture next time I drive by.
$1.85 million

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom