For Sale Perfectly Imperfect 1977 FJ40 57K documented (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

77Available for purchase is a 1977 FJ40 with 57K on the ticker. I have done my best to preserve this FJ and thank all who offered suggestions on my preservation post.

What can I say? Everything works! When I purchased this I drove it home 1500 miles. I did get a few surprises along the way but nothing that left me calling for transport. I had a loose belt, temperature spike from the loose belt which was corrected with my channel locks, and a super stiff right leg. Other than these two things the trip was uneventful and as predicted I ran at 65 all the way getting passed with every mile. I may have passed a couple of vehicles along the way but I assure you it wasn't many. Since getting this FJ home I have spent a lot of time working to preserve what I believe to be an awesome original FJ. I did take extensive pictures to document the preservation. This vehicle was towed and the jumper for the lights is included, I have removed the rear tow lights as they were not becoming an FJ.

The body was removed from the chassis and the engine, transmission and transfer case were then removed from the chassis. The bare chassis was stripped and coated in IMRON. The tie rod ends were replaced. While the chassis was being striped the underside of the tub and fenders were prepped and coated in red bedliner material. I did take pictures of the raw tub and fenders, they are solid. The engine was reinstalled along with painted driveshafts. New shocks and body bushings were installed, I did not save the originals and now I wish I would have, again I took pictures. New shackles were installed for a very minor lift as I felt she looked just a tad tired, maybe it was just me? The exterior has had nothing except a good cleaning. The wheels were also stripped and repainted white. The front bezel was also painted. There isn't any body work or filler on this truck and all the spot welds are visible. The glass is all original TEQ and presents itself well. The front windshield could be replaced as there are a couple nicks and minor pitting. I did replace the door mirrors with European spec, I have managed to source an OEM drivers arm and OEM mirror head. The Warn 8274 works as intended. Every light works including, Headlights, marker lights, seatbelt light, brake light, rear lights, backup lights, fog lights and switch, cluster lights, green dash light and dome light. The gutters are rust free and nothing has been done to hide anything. There was some questionable bubbling at the rear ambulance door sill plate which was cut out and replaced with new metal. I have taken pictures documenting everything. The tires have plenty of tread and the spare is from 1982 and holds air. All stickers that came on the FJ are present, Warn locking hubs, Unleaded fuel only on fuel filler door, Drivers door stickers albeit faded.

Areas of concern; The dash does have two cracks from front to back. I thought about replacing it but chose to keep it original as it's an awesome example. All doors are solid and close with ease andfeel solid but under the rear ambulance doors closest to the hinges has minor bubbling. Where the passenger fender attaches to the step is not museum quality.

All in all I have done my very best to preserve what I believe to be an awesome FJ. I'm not the authority I just enjoy all things LandCruiser. I'm certain there are individuals here who will chastise this vehicle as a flip and I cannot defend my motive. I have not cut any corners and have thoroughly documented every step. I welcome input and recommendations on what I might have done differently. I always hope to learn more. I believe this vehicle to be worth $30K. I welcome trades of the 4x4 type and preferably Toyota. I hope you all enjoy this project!

Driver side exterior.jpg

front 2.jpg

Passenger side exterior.jpg

Rear ambulance doors.jpg

ledger.jpg

What's the ebay up to? Link? Reserve?

Just posted on eBay today. Not sure how to post a link. It is listed though. With any luck the fun will continue????????

Hard to say. The originallty and low mileage adds value for sure. Beautiful rig and good luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom