Patching a rusty rear quarter panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, looking for any suggestions on how to patch a fist size hole on the drivers side rear quarter panel. From searching the forum it looks like a common place for rust.

The mud flaps hide the hole so I’m okay with a simple functional solution. I also don’t have or know how to weld so looking for any suggestions that I could do with simple tools.

My thought was to cut off the existing rust around the hole, find/cut sheet metal (or any other durable material) to similar size and then seal the sucker shut. Bad idea?? Let me know!

Thanks in advance all!

IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg

Take the panel off and wire brush the rust and old paint then treat it with a rust converter. Tape some cardboard/paper on the outside to simulate the shape and fiberglass on the inside first and then add a patch outside. Sand prime and paint. matt black looks good on those parts

@Fairgame is right on. I don't have any previous experience and I welded my metal sheet metal cutout in before using a fiberglass body filler from evercoat (advanced auto) to fill in all the small holes. It worked great and I just need a second coat of pant to finish
IMG_8138.jpeg
. My hole was smaller but here are some pics. Definitely use rust converter and cut out wider than the rust area to make sure you get it all.

IMG_8136.jpeg

IMG_8120.jpeg

@Fairgame is right on. I don't have any previous experience and I welded my metal sheet metal cutout in before using a fiberglass body filler from evercoat (advanced auto) to fill in all the small holes. It worked great and I just need a second coat of pant to finishView attachment 3451473. My hole was smaller but here are some pics. Definitely use rust converter and cut out wider than the rust area to make sure you get it all.

View attachment 3451474

View attachment 3451475
Just prime all bare metal before fiberglass

Just prime all bare metal before fiberglass
True! Forgot to do this. Hope it'll hold alright. It's in a good spot to keep working on easily. It was good practice if anything later in its life gets bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom