Parts Geek, a discount parts supplier with terrible policies. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tralaz.org
Buyer beware, this company has some bad order fulfillment practices and unfair return policies.

This saga began when I lost power braking a month or so ago. I did my research and started looking for a Seiken brake booster, and added a 'while I'm in there' Advics (OEM supplier) master cylinder to my list. I found both on Parts Geek at good prices and the booster was even available for one day delivery. Looking further, I saw that they also offer an 'OEM' master cylinder, which according to the pics is probably the same part with a Toyota-branded reservoir cap and a different part number, and they also offered one-day delivery on that. I opted to spend the extra ~$35 for the 'OEM' master cylinder so I could get both parts and install them before my next outing.

I received the parts on time, but upon inspection the master cylinder was the same part number and cap that was offered for less money. I emailed Parts Geek and asked for a refund for the difference. They requested pics, and upon receipt they agreed that the wrong part was sent out but they could only accept a return of the part for a full refund. They offered to send me a return shipping label. I grumbled a bit, accepted the offered shipping label, and ordered the cheaper master cylinder.

So far, their shipping department substituted a part that was functionally identical but with a different part number instead of the branded part I paid extra for, but they did make me whole financially, even if they could have made it a bit easier by simply refunding the difference and letting me keep the part. Or, you know, sending the correct part to begin with. Not a big deal, just annoying and a bit shady. I put the new booster in the truck and reinstalled my old master cylinder, which was working fine. I sent them back their master cylinder for a refund.

I received the re-ordered (brand-new, not rebuilt or reconditioned, etc) Advics master cylinder and installed it. To my despair, it didn't function properly. Bench bled and fully system bled with a gallon of fluid put through the system, the pedal slowly went to the floor and the truck barely stopped- the telltale signs of a leaking seal in the master cylinder. Bummer. I re-installed my old master cylinder (again) and contacted them again to do a return. They authorized it. I asked for a return label, and got this:

Thank you for contacting us regarding order XX-XXXXXXXX
We apologize that you are unhappy, but as indicated on our website.

All returns are freight prepaid by the customer. We do not offer return shipping reimbursement regardless of the party at fault.

Thank you
Customer Service Team
Parts Geek LLC

Huh? I replied:

That's a terrible policy. Your customers have to pay to return faulty parts? I will make sure the Toyota communities that I am a part of understand your unfair practices.

Minutes later, I got this:

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Kindly disregard the email above, we've already processed a return label which should arrive in your email shortly. Make sure to check your inbox, spam, or junk folder for the email.
Follow the instructions included in this particular email to ensure that we don't have any issues with the shipping and refund times for this part.
Keep in mind that it takes 7-14 business days for the refund to be processed once we have received the defective part.

Thank you!
Customer Service

Parts Geek LLC

So my threat worked, except it was not a threat, it was a statement. If you deal with Parts Geek, make sure you receive what you pay for, and be prepared to fight for a fair deal if you have issues with their parts.

Yup, made that mistake once. Well twice, figured they couldn't possible F it up twice in a row. NEVER again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve added them to my avoid list.

I've found Rock Auto is pretty good about handling issues like that. Received a Denso AC compressor that looked like it had been dropped (bent pulley) and an AC condensor that was significantly bent/twisted, they took both back no problems, no charge.

I've found Rock Auto is pretty good about handling issues like that. Received a Denso AC compressor that looked like it had been dropped (bent pulley) and an AC condensor that was significantly bent/twisted, they took both back no problems, no charge.
Yep, they're my go-to. Unfortunately they didn't have the Seiken booster. I understand there are other vendors offering them though, if you're at your wit's end.

Please keep in mind that my 93 LC has a 2nd ":reserve" resevoir very small located just above and attached to the left rear axle that is not shown in the manuals
that also must have the air bled out of it or you'll have the same problem you've described. I found it on accident by tracing my whole brake system to see if I had a leak after I replaced a master cylinder.. Hint to others.... NEVER use a rebuilt aluminum master cylinder. Always a new one.

Learned my lesson with Parts Geek long ago. I use Rock Auto (pretty good service) various dealerships Stateside and Partsouq.

Please keep in mind that my 93 LC has a 2nd ":reserve" resevoir very small located just above and attached to the left rear axle that is not shown in the manuals
that also must have the air bled out of it or you'll have the same problem you've described. I found it on accident by tracing my whole brake system to see if I had a leak after I replaced a master cylinder.. Hint to others.... NEVER use a rebuilt aluminum master cylinder. Always a new one.
Are you referring to the LSPV?

Load Sensing Proportioning Valve (LSPV). Mentioned prominently in the factory service manual.

Parts Geek messed up my order, too. It was a few years ago, I think. The process I had to go thru to get it resolved was, in my opinion, unnecessarily difficult and tedious. I won't order from them ever again, and I never recommend them to friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom