Part Time Kit - bushing needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyFish

GOLD Star
Threads
Website
twitter.com
Hi folks. I'm looking for someone in this community with intimate knowledge of the HF2AV transfer case. I want you to tell me "You don't have to take your t-case apart again to install this. It's an over-engineered part designed by lawyers, and is not needed."

Here's the story. I installed a part time kit over the weekend, including Asin hubs and a spool in my LX450 HF2AV transfer case. The kit included a polymer bushing that wasn't mentioned in the documentation, and doesn't appear in this installation demonstration video:

I was running out of time and couldn't see any obvious place for the bushing, so I just followed the video.

Here's the bushing:

Here's the explanation I received after I "finished" my install and buttoned up the t-case:

"This is the old instructions.
http://sleeoffroad.com/installation/91-97_part_time_kit.pdf
See page 5 of 7 – On the bottom photo it shows the spool with a brass spacer. Your spool should look look like this with that piece bolted to it, but they piece is nylon and not brass."

So, that bushing obviously fills the space formerly taken by the spider gears and the other gear that was on the inside of the now-replaced front-to-back differential assembly. Without the bushing, will the shaft the spider gears used to turn eventually walk back, fall out, and catastrophically detonate my transfer case? Probably. I should just install it. Never mind. I'll leave this here as a warning to others.

HUH?

Can you please explain in clear language what the issue is?

Yes, spacer is needed since it supports the front output shaft on a PT set-up in an HF2A/AV.

Hi Beno,

The issue is that I disassembled the t-case, installed the spool without the spacer, and re-assembled the t-case. Now I have to do it all again.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited:
Yes, you need to install the spacer with the 2 allen head bolts. Did you also remove the viscous coupler?

Thanks Duggy,

Yes, it's out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom