1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parking brake type question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Tatunka, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Tatunka

Tatunka

I have aquired an 81 rear axel with the parking brake on the axel. I have read that these axels are desired because of the parking brake, why? What are the pluses and minuses between the parking brake at the transfer case and at the axel? Basically would it be worth it to install the 81 rear axel on to my 73?

2. jm599

jm599

good question, what about keeping both e-brakes operational. would be the cats ass on the boat ramp

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Would only really be desirable if you were going to swap out your trans and tcase to a later model four speed and split case, or, an H55 and split case combo, since the split cases here in the USA do not have the provision for mounting the transfer case mounted parking brake.

It is a better parking brake system compared to the transfer case mounted unit, and a couple other nice features are single wheel cylinders each side, instead of two a side, and the rear brake shoes are adjusted by using the parking brake on that set up, instead of having to crawl under the truck and manually adjust the wheel cylinders.

Otherwise, I cannot really think of a reason why you would want to swap it out.

4. jm599

jm599

poser, could it work though, could one retain the transfer case e brake and under dash handle, but then add the 81 rear axle and run the cable to another floor handle by the console and have 2 functioning e brakes.

I guess what I'm saying is that my 77 fj40 ebrake will not hold on a steep ramp with a boat, even after tightening up the cam bolt

5. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

Mechanical Line Lock: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sand-Rail-Buggy...7QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33568QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can pay as much as you want for an electric one, but they need electricity to maintain lock and will draw down your battery for regular parking.

Search ebay for "line lock": http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ws/&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=line+lock&category0

If you hide the mechanical one it makes a pretty good security device too.

6. jm599

jm599

neat ideas.

by the way and sorry for the hijack but my ebrake works well to prevent forward travel, just lousy at preventing unwanted reverse:crybaby: , any reason for this? this happen to anybody elses

7. Poser

Media:
    Albums:

I do not see why not....any parking brake lever and bucket assembly from a later 40 or 60 series will work for a floor lever....however you may find trying to mount it on the tunnel that it interferes with the transmission housing....

8. fjwagon

fjwagon

Actually, the fj60 lever has a better feel in my opinion. I removed the 82 40 lever and replaced it 82 fj60 one.

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:

I have not ever noticed anything different about them. What is different?

10. Mark W

Mark W

Drum brakes are a bit directional in their function. They are self energizing when the vehicle is rolling forward. That is, the interaction of the shoes and the drum tends to pul the shoes into the drum. Designed that way to result in stronger braking. That's also why the return springs are as strong as they are.

This effect doesn't happen in reverse.

Mark...