Painter needed close to Tahoe/Reno/Sac (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My friend and I have been doing work fixing up various LCs for ourselves and others and we need a recommendation for a shop to do final minor bodywork (no major rust, just small dents), final prep and single stage paint jobs on these rigs.

Some are just exterior only (no jambs, etc) some are color changes.
Quality should be better than Maaco, but they are off-roaders (hence the single stage)

Must be in the area from Sac, to Reno, Closer to Truckee the better.

Right now we have:
- a clean 80 build in need of a full color change
- 2 60 series with minor dents here and there needing exterior only

In the queue:
- 46 series custom flatbed
- 40 series full tub/body color change
Probably more if we can get a relationship going.

Thanks in advance
Karl

Give Cruiser Bros a call

I have done a fair amount of paint work, blending and minor dent filling on my 100 series. It’s not super hard, just VERY time consuming to do the prep work. You can order all the factory colors from a handful of platforms. I think they were all 2 stage though, which I would recommend regardless just for adhesion purposes.
I’m going to be up in Reno next week to pick up an aux fuel tank that a friend ordered for me so I can avoid Cali compliance issues. I’d be happy to do the work and or show you how to do the work on those cruisers. Message me if you’re interested

Wow, I just was looking for painting tips and advice to see if I can garner the information and courage to shoot a rig myself and forgot I posted this thread....
Thanks y'all.

Current project is a straight and rust free 96 80 that has absolutely awful clear coat over black paint. I'm welding up the flare, roof rack and rear spoiler holes then looking for either:
1) respray in black including jambs as there are issues
or
2) full respray in a different color

1 or 2 stage...?

I realize the color change is more work/$$$, but I want to weigh the option .
I have a large RV garage to work and spray in, and I can do top notch rattlecan jobs, But I have no experience with hplv topcoats and clears, picking and mixing reducers and thinners for conditions, gun setup, etc....

I am just going to do the welding and bodywork and run the whole truck with the DA @ 220 for now....

But.... Still looking for a shop....

I did a 1 stage on my 80 with no prior experience. You'll need a garage, or in my case a tent, and a compressor + plus lots of odds and ends. I saved $ by going LVLP and it went on super smooth no issues. I used "aircraft" paint. A durable finish used on commercial equipment. My thread is called cement gray 80 if you want to read about it. No issues with the paint after about 3 yrs, and has held up to pretty bad oak tree and chaparral trail abuse.

Also, there is a great shop here in Oroville (5th ave body shop) that did my 40 for a very reasonable price. PM me if you want more info or pics.

I don't know about Ca vs NV paint .

I do know that Reno Maaco closed over a year ago and is a non-chain shop now. Nearest Maaco is Roseville (Ca)

For reference...
I have a friend who got a quote of about $5k from Spraycraft in Reno to repaint his 62 the same white color.

Bumping this as we are still looking.

My friend with a 62 needing very minor bodywork and a full same color respray has been kicked down the calendar at Spraycraft 2 times now due to busyness and employee turnover.

Initial conversation last winter was bring it down whenever, a month later when he had it stripped and ready the postponed a few months and said not till June.

He was just told not till September at least now.

My other friend is trying to get us to go to Maaco in Roseville. Owner of the 62 is not comfortable with that.

Help!

You should try and repaint it yourself if you have the space to do it!

Prep work is very time-consuming, but if you’re not taking the car down to bare metal, all you really need to do is cut through the clear and smooth the surface. Then Shoot a layer of primer/sealer, then color and (if applicable) clear.

OEM colors are going to cost you a fortune, And two-stage paint might actually be cheaper than one stage.
For example, I am repainting my 60 in the original color—freeborn red. sherwin-Williams single stage paint actually cost more than for me to purchase color from Sherwin-Williams and clearcoat from Amazon for a 2-stage job.
Amazon had the same clear that Sherwinn sells.

If perfect OEM match isn’t a priority, you could go with single stage options from companies such as Eastwood. You would save tons of money on paint and they do have some good color options.

I’m down in Reno, and I will let you know how my paint job goes once it’s finished…

Thanks @GarrettS
How did it go?

Still looking!!

I spoke with Maaco in Roseville and they won't touch the 80 due to "customer prep" of me welding and filling the flare and roof rack holes.

Maaco in North Highlands will do it with the customer prep, they need to see it for an actual quote but to do a color change is $500 per jamb, so +$2500 On top of the regular rate to change the color, and a 3-hour round trip drive just to get a quote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom