Paint my 100 Land cruiser myself! ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LC has about 6 square inches on the hood and on the roof that has worn down to primer. I have had good luck with my HVLP sprayer and I'm thinking of painting it myself. My color code is 1c3 (river green mica that looks grey to most eyes.) My quesitons:

1. Do I prime the whole car?

2. What kind of primer do I use?

3. How much of the 1C3 paint do I need to cover the whole car?

Thanks!

Gil

Im certainly no expert, but I dont think you need to prime the car. The OEM paint already has good adhesion to the body. You just need to sand it and reapply the base and clear. If its just a small area you may be able to get by with doing just the area affected. You will need to blend it since there is metallic.

Never done it, but I hear metalics are hard to match, hence the blending to a much larger area than the area that is affected.

No way you will blend a metalic paint on your first shoot. You can paint it yourself. Primer is a bonus... Some kind of etching primer would aid in adhesion. Base clear is easier to get a good end result. do a bunch of googleing, then find a test panel to shoot a few times. For your first shoot, a panel at a time would be a super great idea, but it would take a coons age. Check with a local body shop for any ends they may donate for some practice on the extra panel.

Whatever you do... practice practice practice first! I learned my lesson the hard way. Like Wagnerwerks said, get something else to try your technique out on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom