Paint for Rock Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The time has come to re-paint my rock sliders. The rust oleum gloss paint has lasted a few years and I did a pretty quick (no primer) paint job to them the night before a trip so I can't complain. This time around I would like to strip and primer them so they hold up better. What do people recommend for prep/primer/paint? Spray paint or other. I've never bene great at the paint side of things. Since these are sliders I know I'll need to re-paint them on occasion so I certainly want to use something that can be touched up down the road.

I've used a dunn edwards product called Enduragloss on a couple metal gates. Once it hardens (maybe cures?) it is pretty damn strong. That said, it is gloss, so getting it on evenly is important.

Edit: i should also say i just use rustoleum on my sliders/bumper. Easy to touch up needed, but not super durable.

I use Krylon Ultra Flat Camo, black. Super easy to touch up but not durable.
What you're looking for is an etching primer with an epoxy top coat. Takes compressors and spray guns to run that stuff. And don't forget the proper PPE, get that s*** in your lungs and your :dead:.

Any powder coaters near you?

Last edited:
Rustoleum truck bed paint…easy to touch up…textured finish, pretty durable

This is the best stuff I’ve ever used. John Deere Blitz Black Paint - TY25631 - https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Blitz-Black-Paint-TY25631.html
I painted my whole truck with it and it has held up great.

E4D53E19-EF27-4762-89B7-9BFB01B2C77F.jpeg

I used Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black on my rear bumper. It’s somewhat expensive. As for durability, I am a bozo and accidentally backed into a Hyundai Tuscon in a parking lot (it was well hidden behind my spare tire and my mind was elsewhere after receiving some bad news). The tuscon rear quarter was pretty badly damaged, but I was able to wipe his paint and crushed body off of my bumper with a lint free rag. It was like it never even happened.

I used VHT roll bar paint on my Marlin Crawler tie rod. It’s much more affordable and goes on nicely. It didn’t stand up to the pipe wrench I used during install though.

I have not tried it myself, but folks swear by Steel It, too.

@voodu3 , is the garage pic most current? Or do you have any of it assembled and outside, for a finished look? I've been tossing around ideas of JD blitz black too. Thanks!

VHT wheel paint gets hard, the graphite stuff seems to be the same stuff harbor freight jacks and jaskstands are painted. Not sure how durable it is but goes on nice and is better than the average rattle can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom