Paint engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I blew a head gasket recently and was going to paint the engine while it is out. I would love suggestions on what to paint the block, valve cavers and maybe throttle body.

I blew a head gasket recently and was going to paint the engine while it is out. I would love suggestions on what to paint the block, valve cavers and maybe throttle body.
There are a couple of threads here that deal with engine paint colors, not sure that's in the thread titles(?) Lighter allows you see leaks more easily and "brightens up" the engine bay, making everything easier to see. On the other hand...

Not sure i understand your question. Are you asking what color to paint the block etc. Or are you asking what kind of paint to use?

There are a couple of threads here that deal with engine paint colors, not sure that's in the thread titles(?) Lighter allows you see leaks more easily and "brightens up" the engine bay, making everything easier to see. On the other hand...

Black is what I was thinking but the idea on making it brighter makes a good point. Thanks

Here you go. Covers paint types as well, There may be other threads, but this is the one I was thinking of.

Last edited:
Change all the gaskets when you have the head off and it won't leak. Black on the block is the best. I used POR15 engine enamal on the block.
20220524_214056.jpg

and the POR15 high temp stuff on all the silver bits.
20220524_214119.jpg

All the metal work was prepped with the POR15 metal prep.

20220524_214141.jpg

I can't remember what i used on the valve cover but it was crap. I think the next time i do a valve cover it will be powder coated.

I rebuilt my engine a couple of years ago. Used Rustoleum engine enamel (black) on the block and VHT (red) for valve cover. Block looks very good, valve cover started peeling around edges and bolt holes. Didn't use primer on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom