P0401 fix leads to bad stutter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I did all the work needed. See previous post 'this is what p0401 code looks like'.

Idle now struggling and not smooth as before. Truck readjusting to more airflow? Should I disconnect computer and rehook up?

Amy other ideas?

Without knowing your baseline, my thought is that "more" airflow isn't a problem, especially since the engine control determines this, unless you also have a fuel delivery problem. Consider that the ideal combustion cycle is a result of a mix of fuel and air.

In my case, CEL codes are the result of component and operating condition deterioration. So it's never one condition which is suboptimal, and I have to "adjust" something else to return the system to acceptable operating limits. I try to keep up with the system conditions by recording the condition of components when they're replaced. (love those cell phone cameras) I just replaced the plugs yesterday. As you can see, my valve seals don't, and the gasohol we're stuck with is coating the combustion chamber. Other than that, the plugs look mostly good (#4 doesn't), which is consistent with the way the engine runs.
NGK: How do I read my spark plugs?

Assuming you don't have any good data on the overall operating condition of the engine, I'd suggest pulling the plugs and opening the distributor. Take a look at the electrodes and distributor/rotor contacts. While you have the air intake open (to get to the plugs; I pull the airfilter can off completely), look in there too. This will give you an idea of what's going on inside the engine.

20170212_085728.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom