Overland Trip Kiamichi Trail - Clayton, Oklahoma to Mena, Arkansas (1 Viewer)

What date would work best?

• May 26/27/28

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • June 2/3/4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • June 9/10/11

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evan, Logan and I are interested....

Preference is June 2, 3, 4.

Can't make:

May 26, 27, 28 - Memorial Day Weekend, family commitment.

June 9, 10, 11 - Work commitment.

Last edited:
Sammy,

Thanks for referencing our trip report. Unfortunately the last we heard on the status of the Kiamichi Trail is that it is closed. The road that makes up the majority of the K-Trail is private land, and the land owners have no interest in leaving it open. Here is the latest update from the guys at Lonestar Overland,

"Just confirmed a suspicion that both my buddy Taylor over at Overland Textile Co and I had about KTrail and Clayton Trail in Clayton, OK. Both are off limits and this has been confirmed by Eric Dane the Oklahoma Game Warden in that county responsible for patrolling that area. This is quoted from Taylor from another FB Group....

"I talked with Pushmataha County game Warden, Dane Polk this morning. Had a long phone conversation with him. It's been a private road for years and years now. It's 100% private land on both sides of the road (as we knew), and IT'S A PRIVATE ROAD as well (no different than someone's driveway). Has been for a LONG time apparently. This isn't a recent deal. There is NO forestry land up there, and no ODWC land either. There USED to be but it has all been sold to private land owners, so everything on and along the trail is private from 9 Pine Road up till the Fire Tower. From the fire tower eastward is USFS land and legal to be on. I went by the 9 Pines entrance of Clayton Trail yesterday and there are no signs, no gates, nothing... so I asked Dane why there wasn't anything there to stop the traffic, and he said that they just get ripped down and it's a lost cause to try and stop them... he did say if you are caught on it, and the land owner wants to press charges, you will be fined a $500 trespassing ticket the first time, and the 2nd time you are caught it's $1500. Doesn't matter if there are signs or not, as you DO NOT need to post your land in Oklahoma to press trespassing charges, so signs or not, it's illegal to be up there. If you don't believe me, or have questions of your own, please contact Dane Polk, Pushmataha County Game Warden based in Clayton, OK (+1 580-271-0808). He will tell you everything I just did, as he has jurisdiction over that trail. Not USFS, not country Sherrif, not local PD... Dane is in charge of it."

So guys, stay off KTrail in the section that is not USFS land. Let's not create a bad name for the overlanding or rockcrawling community by trespassing.

- Tulip"

Sorry for the unfortunate news, but I didn't want to see you make the drive all the way to Clayton only to find out there is a gate blocking the trail.

-Ryan

Sammy,

Thanks for referencing our trip report. Unfortunately the last we heard on the status of the Kiamichi Trail is that it is closed. The road that makes up the majority of the K-Trail is private land, and the land owners have no interest in leaving it open. Here is the latest update from the guys at Lonestar Overland,

"Just confirmed a suspicion that both my buddy Taylor over at Overland Textile Co and I had about KTrail and Clayton Trail in Clayton, OK. Both are off limits and this has been confirmed by Eric Dane the Oklahoma Game Warden in that county responsible for patrolling that area. This is quoted from Taylor from another FB Group....

"I talked with Pushmataha County game Warden, Dane Polk this morning. Had a long phone conversation with him. It's been a private road for years and years now. It's 100% private land on both sides of the road (as we knew), and IT'S A PRIVATE ROAD as well (no different than someone's driveway). Has been for a LONG time apparently. This isn't a recent deal. There is NO forestry land up there, and no ODWC land either. There USED to be but it has all been sold to private land owners, so everything on and along the trail is private from 9 Pine Road up till the Fire Tower. From the fire tower eastward is USFS land and legal to be on. I went by the 9 Pines entrance of Clayton Trail yesterday and there are no signs, no gates, nothing... so I asked Dane why there wasn't anything there to stop the traffic, and he said that they just get ripped down and it's a lost cause to try and stop them... he did say if you are caught on it, and the land owner wants to press charges, you will be fined a $500 trespassing ticket the first time, and the 2nd time you are caught it's $1500. Doesn't matter if there are signs or not, as you DO NOT need to post your land in Oklahoma to press trespassing charges, so signs or not, it's illegal to be up there. If you don't believe me, or have questions of your own, please contact Dane Polk, Pushmataha County Game Warden based in Clayton, OK (+1 580-271-0808). He will tell you everything I just did, as he has jurisdiction over that trail. Not USFS, not country Sherrif, not local PD... Dane is in charge of it."

So guys, stay off KTrail in the section that is not USFS land. Let's not create a bad name for the overlanding or rockcrawling community by trespassing.

- Tulip"

Sorry for the unfortunate news, but I didn't want to see you make the drive all the way to Clayton only to find out there is a gate blocking the trail.

-Ryan
Wow that's unfortunate thanks for the update Ryan.

I'm in for the trip if it is rerouted or changed due to the closures. Cannot make May so I chose the later June dates.

Alright here is PLAN B :ban:. Lets do a part of the Oklahoma Overland/Adventure Trail (Map Attached). This park is the exact same distance as Clayton...Arbuckle Off Road Park | Oklahoma Plan would be adding an extra day and here would be the agenda:
Thursday: Travel to Sulphur OK and spend the night at a hotel
Friday: Hit the off road park and establish camp somewhere close or at the park (i'll check the details)/Go due a part of the overland trail and explore the lakes south
Saturday: Wheeling at the park/Swimming
Sunday: departure

Let me know your thoughts.....

Attachments

• OK-CL-07-2007.gpx
    30.1 KB · Views: 212
I'm in to bring my 100 or to just tag along with Jack if the number of rigs gets too high

Mitch and I would love to join. For sure cannot make the first date and too early for me to confirm either of the other two. If we can we will be there.

Leslie and I could do Jun 2-4th

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom