Overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone
I'm having overheating problem 1992 3fe 220k miles
I have changed the following
Water pump
Radiator CSF
Thermostat
Hoses
All hoses are oem from toyota
Can somone help
I even changed the transmission front hoses for the cooler
What else should I change or do

Leave the cap off during the fill process.
Start with a cold engine.
Pour coolant in until it fills to the top of the filler opening.
With the engine running, use the palm of your hand to seal the radiator and pump the top hose by squeezing it.
When more space in the coolant system becomes available, top off with coolant.
Seal with hand, pump top hose, top off coolant, repeat until no more fits.
1/2 fill the overflow tank.
Put the cap on and run up to temp. Ensure the overflow goes to "fullish".
I've used that sequence to top off everything from Chevys, Fords, Dodges, & Yotas and I've never had that fail.
It shouldn't overheat with that sequence if it does there's something physically wrong with the system.

Leave the cap off during the fill process.
Start with a cold engine.
Pour coolant in until it fills to the top of the filler opening.
With the engine running, use the palm of your hand to seal the radiator and pump the top hose by squeezing it.
When more space in the coolant system becomes available, top off with coolant.
Seal with hand, pump top hose, top off coolant, repeat until no more fits.
1/2 fill the overflow tank.
Put the cap on and run up to temp. Ensure the overflow goes to "fullish".
I've used that sequence to top off everything from Chevys, Fords, Dodges, & Yotas and I've never had that fail.
It shouldn't overheat with that sequence if it does there's something physically wrong with the system.
Ok I will try I appreciate it

Fan clutch appears to be bad. Buy a new one for now, save the old one to rebuild for a spare. (see link below).

Be sure to use ~ 50:50 concentration of coolant (anti-freeze) to distilled water.

Which Thermostat did you install (Toyota part number is 90916-03052)?

Following along with Kernal... when the rig starts, is there a loud roar of air from the fan that gradually settles down after 10 seconds or so?
With the engine cold can you spin the fan by hand and have it continue to rotate a blade or two when you stop spinning it?
If No and Yes are the answers, then you probably have a bad fan clutch.

Hello everyone
I'm having overheating problem 1992 3fe 220k miles
I have changed the following
Water pump
Radiator CSF
Thermostat
Hoses
All hoses are oem from toyota
Can somone help
I even changed the transmission front hoses for the cooler
What else should I change or do
Was it overheating before you changed all these parts?
If you see steam then you have a leak in the system.
An AISIN FCT-049 fan clutch should have been on the list of parts.

Was it overheating before you changed all these parts?
If you see steam then you have a leak in the system.
An AISIN FCT-049 fan clutch should have been on the list of parts.
Yes it was overheating before and that's why I changed the all those parts
No steam however the coolant coms out

Radiator Reservoir and when I open the cap it comes out
OK, you should not be opening the radiator cap with the engine running. As the coolant heats, it expands and will run out of the radiator fill neck.
Is the overflow tank filled to the correct level?
Is the radiator cap an OEM replacement?

With a cold, NON RUNNING engine, the radiator should be filled to the top of the filler neck and the overflow bottle should be at or close to the full line. As the engine warms, the coolant level in the overflow bottle should rise and fall with engine temperature. As the coolant heats, it expands and pressurizes the coolant system. The radiator cap regulates system pressure by bleeding off excess coolant into the overflow bottle. As the engine cools down, the radiator cap allows coolant to get pulled back into the system from the overflow bottle, thus maintaining proper coolant level in the system.

The coolant system self bleeds and any air in the system will find its way to the top tank of the radiator, so after 1 or 2 drive cycles the levels should be rechecked with a cold non-running engine.

Last edited:
Radiator Reservoir and when I open the cap it comes out
Does coolant come out of the fill neck with the cap removed when its Cold (sat at least 8 hours) or when hot?

If the coolant comes out when the system is cold, you need a new cap. The cap acts as a breather between the overflow bottle and the coolant system, its a little more complicated than that; but if you take the cap off of a cold system and coolant squirts out, you need a new cap.

If Coolant is coming out when you take the cap off when its hot, that's normal, the system operates at ~14 PSI and ~186 to 220 F.
That said, Don't ever take the cap off a hot, pressurized coolant system, it will cause a fountain of hot coolant and could scald you badly.

Does coolant come out of the fill neck with the cap removed when its Cold (sat at least 8 hours) or when hot?

If the coolant comes out when the system is cold, you need a new cap. The cap acts as a breather between the overflow bottle and the coolant system, its a little more complicated than that; but if you take the cap off of a cold system and coolant squirts out, you need a new cap.

If Coolant is coming out when you take the cap off when its hot, that's normal, the system operates at ~14 PSI and ~186 to 220 F.
That said, Don't ever take the cap off a hot, pressurized coolant system, it will cause a fountain of hot coolant and could scald you badly.
I filled the coolant and start the engine and while the engine is idelling for like 3to 5 minutes with the radiator cap off the coolant start to come out and starts bubbling

This is when you plug it with your palm and pump the top hose. Its trying to burp itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom