Overdrive , transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody, what does it mean when I'm going Up on a slope and I switch On the overdrive, the rpm is going higher and no change at speed level. Knowing that this is not the case when driving on flat roads.
Is there any issue with my automatic transmission?

When you push the OD button and the light on the dash illuminates then overdrive is disabled therefore the RPMs are going to be higher.

When you push the OD button and the light on the dash illuminates then overdrive is disabled therefore the RPMs are going to be higher.
Noob question. So should I day to you drive with OD enabled (OD light on)?

I don't understand your question as you may have spelling or grammar errors.

OD light on indicates overdrive is disabled. For normal driving you want overdrive enabled to achieve the best MPG. The transmission will automatically switch gears as needed in 99% of cases. If the transmission constantly is downshifting/upshifting or otherwise hunting for the proper gear as when towing a trailer then disable the overdrive.

I don't understand your question as you may have spelling or grammar errors.

OD light on indicates overdrive is disabled. For normal driving you want overdrive enabled to achieve the best MPG. The transmission will automatically switch gears as needed in 99% of cases. If the transmission constantly is downshifting/upshifting or otherwise hunting for the proper gear as when towing a trailer then disable the overdrive.
Sorry about that. It was supposed to say "day to day". But thanks, you answered the question

Overdrive is a higher gear designed to improve gas mileage. If you turn it off, you'll be defeating the purpose. The only time you should consider turning it off is when you're in the mountains (on pavement, not the tank trails). IIRC, there's an explanation in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, you should probably consider buying one.

Overdrive is a higher gear designed to improve gas mileage. If you turn it off, you'll be defeating the purpose. The only time you should consider turning it off is when you're in the mountains (on pavement, not the tank trails). IIRC, there's an explanation in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, you should probably consider buying one.
Hi, I just changed my transmission and I want to make sure that its working properly. Its working normally on flat roads whereas if you go up in a slope the gear on 3rd , rpm on 2000 and the overdrive is off(light on) . When I turn it on (light off) the rpm jump above 2000 and speed still the same. I just wanted to make sure if the overdrive is slipping in this case or its normal.

Sorry about that. It was supposed to say "day to day". But thanks, you answered the question
Hi, I just changed my transmission and I want to make sure that its working properly. Its working normally on flat roads whereas if you go up in a slope the gear on 3rd , rpm on 2000 and the overdrive is off(light on) . When I turn it on (light off) the rpm jump above 2000 and speed still the same. I just wanted to make sure if the overdrive is slipping in this case or its normal

Your transmission will shift from O/D to Drive (3rd gear), assuming you have the O/D engaged (the "O/D Off" light isn't on) if the grade is steep enough, and the engine RPM will increase accordingly. I usually turn the O/D off if I'm going to drive in the mountains, because the ECU can't see the road in front of me and doesn't do a very good job of shifting, IMO. The O/D was designed for highway driving anyway.

HTH

Another factor to consider is the lockup of the torque converter which can happen in either third gear or overdrive. With higher loads like climbing a grade the converter will unlock raising the RPMs and feels very similar to downshifting into another gear.

Another factor to consider is the lockup of the torque converter which can happen in either third gear or overdrive. With higher loads like climbing a grade the converter will unlock raising the RPMs and feels very similar to downshifting into another gear.
Is it a normal behavior or its slipping ?

Is it a normal behavior or its slipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom