Overdrive switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was trying to switch out my shifter and gave up when the O/D wires would not come through the old shifter. So I put it back together.

But now O/D is always on. Apparently I did not put the switch back together right.

The problem is it will not click and stay in. I can drive around hold the button in and works right.

Attached is a picture of all the parts. I believe the small metal clip goes somewhere important but I don't know where.:rolleyes:

Any help would be great.

Matt

IMG_1038 (Small).jpg
IMG_1038 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Bump.

Nothing? No one has had any dealings with the O/D switch?

Resurecting in case anyone else is as dumb as me :

I just hosed mine up last night and kinda fixed it - kinda not - I think my mistake was straightening the kink out of the tiny wire to the left of the switch in the above picture. I'll try again this weekend and take some pics while I'm at it.

The TINY ^ shaped wire on the left goes horizontally across the top of the switch housing forming a brace that the large C wire forms a T shape with, the bottom of the big C wire goes down into the switch itself where it catches on an inverted V to hold the switch in when locked. That probably made no sense at all so I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.

Anyone any hints as how to get this out while replacing the shifter - all I've come up with is to trace the wire back to the plug and try with a terminal pick (that I don't have) to unseat the male wires from the plug.

Last edited:
Zombie thread.
Any chance you figured it out, and remember what you did?
I just did the same thing and now O/D is on all the time.
My switch slipped out of my hands and spontaneously disassembled on the floor of the truck.
I may not have the wire, not sure, going to have to take it apart again to look.

I took it apart tonight and low and behold all the parts where there, just not assembled correctly. Lucky Dog!
So in case anybody is curious here is how the wire forms go together and how the switch functions.

Wire form orientation:
The thin wire is a keeper that holds the staple shaped wire in a pivot hole.
CZCpJgZ
bEW7kZm.jpg

The free end of the staple shaped wire runs in a Z shaped track that works exactly like a retractable pen.
Locked or button in (O/D ON)
mtjPOnz.jpg

Unlocked or button out (O/D OFF)
j1kjVDi.jpg

Last edited:
If a mod can figure out how to reduce those images a touch, it would be OK by me.

The switch is still available. I think I paid about $30 for it when mine combusted and launched parts while I was removing my shifter and I never could find all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom