OUCH!! - Callipers Rubbing Rim???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang. Why won't Pictures show up in the message? I attached them.

the caliper bolts are spec's at some pretty high torque. Ask me how I know... I had to order replacements from CDAN...

97 sounds like you know excactly what I am talking about.

I called the closest O'Reily Auto Parts, and they can have the pins in by 6pm tonight. I am stranded at work!! My boss loves it.

The pins are only holding in the pads, bolts hold the caliper to the knuckle in the front. The rear also has a bolt/pin to hold the caliper on and then the brake holder is held in place by bolts. The bolt to knuckle torque in the front is 90 ftlb. In the rear the holder to axle is 70 ftlb, the bolt/pin is 35ftlb( i believe)If the caliper is indead resting on the front rim it will take bolts not pin to put it back on the knuckle and you would want to inspect the thread on the knuckle for them being hurt. As for the rear either bolt or pin/bolt can be lost and the caliper will hit the rim. there again you will need to inpect the threads for any screwed up threads. good luck later robbie

Torque the poo out of those bolts, but not too much. Trust me, if you strip them it SUCKS.

The front is recoverable, I don't think the rear is if it is stripped (part of the housing?).

The front you just need a new knuckle housing if it is stripped (eep).

Hope yours are simply loose and can be retorqued.

ouch. Bolts are a Toyota only thing. The pins are carried by O'Reily Auto Parts.

Another experienced vote for missing or loose caliper bolts.

Ok, here is the deal.

I was missing the lower front caliper bolt.

Something tells me I may have forgotten to put it in LATE LATE LATE one night. But due to geometry. I took the one out of the top. Put it in the bottom. I will take one from the rear, and put it in the front top. This will get me limping home tonight from work. Tomorrow I go and see if the Toyota Stealership has any caliper bolts in stock. One bolt, then TORQUE THE POOP out of them. I remember they were a 2 grunt and fart to get broken loose to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom