Events/Trails OTMT 2023 (8/18-8/20) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This year we will be a bit different than years past. This will be a fee free event; no shirts, stickers, or potluck this time. Everyone will need to be self-reliant when it comes to food.

Current layout.

Day 1
Head to Jocassee Gorges State Park in NC and camp for the night down on the river. The entrance is here.
Dropped pin
Near Transylvania County, NC

35°05'19.0"N 82°57'06.0"W

goo.gl
goo.gl

The park closes at 10 so if you can’t get in by then you will have to wait till the next day. The location is the beginning of the trail. It’s about 2 miles in to a crossroads where you can only turn right. Then another 2-3 miles down to the river. We should be at the river.

Day 2 Saturday

Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway to our spot we have been going to for many years. There will also be hikers on this trail as well. Many of them are not prepared to see a vehicle in this area. I ask that you are courteous to them by trying to give them room to pass. Most will step off the trail and let you pass. It’s easier for us and them. Just be nice. The last thing we need is to make waves. And you don’t want to be that guy.

Please note these trails are all capable in a stock land cruiser. That being said things can happen. Please make sure you are prepared. A fire extinguisher is a must. I suggest to have some tools. You certainly need a spare tire. Most of the trails will be mostly scratch free except for saturday and Sunday. By far the most amazing campsite but it comes at a cost. A past club officer made the mistake of saying you will get light pinstriping. It’s major pinstriping. In some spots the trail is narrower than your truck. If you want to camp but don’t want the damage you can park at the trailhead in a parking spot, throw your camping stuff in one of the other trucks and ride along. I wouldn’t suggest bringing your kids if you do that but I’m sure wives and dogs are fine. Speaking of dogs. If you are bringing a dog that doesn’t get along with other dogs make sure you have him on a leash.

As far as alcohol. We will most likely be camping and riding in state and federal parks where alcohol is prohibited. That being said we have never had an issue. We are all adults and can make our own decisions. Out of sight out of mind.

We are also in the mountains where rain showers and wind can be a factor. Be prepared! We will bring the club 10x20 canopy for rain at night.

There will be plenty of stops for gas and probably a grocery store on Friday and Saturday.

Also note we are in black bear country. Don’t put food in your tent. We can string up trash at night.

Attending:
@LCNuts (and friends)
@NC LX
@Bryanseye
@trshmtnyoda
@Jsparks117
@ceby
@Yotahead52
@aquatech3
@Trollhole
@TallPineCruiser

Last edited:
This year we will be a bit different than years past. This will be a fee free event; no shirts, stickers, or potluck this time. Everyone will need to be self-reliant when it comes to food.

Current layout.

Day 1
Head to Jocassee Gorges State Park in NC and camp for the night down on the river. The entrance is here.
Dropped pin
Near Transylvania County, NC

35°05'19.0"N 82°57'06.0"W

goo.gl
goo.gl

The park closes at 10 so if you can’t get in by then you will have to wait till the next day. The location is the beginning of the trail. It’s about 2 miles in to a crossroads where you can only turn right. Then another 2-3 miles down to the river. We should be at the river.

Day 2 Saturday

Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway to our spot we have been going to for many years. There will also be hikers on this trail as well. Many of them are not prepared to see a vehicle in this area. I ask that you are courteous to them by trying to give them room to pass. Most will step off the trail and let you pass. It’s easier for us and them. Just be nice. The last thing we need is to make waves. And you don’t want to be that guy.

Please note these trails are all capable in a stock land cruiser. That being said things can happen. Please make sure you are prepared. A fire extinguisher is a must. I suggest to have some tools. You certainly need a spare tire. Most of the trails will be mostly scratch free except for saturday and Sunday. By far the most amazing campsite but it comes at a cost. A past club officer made the mistake of saying you will get light pinstriping. It’s major pinstriping. In some spots the trail is narrower than your truck. If you want to camp but don’t want the damage you can park at the trailhead in a parking spot, throw your camping stuff in one of the other trucks and ride along. I wouldn’t suggest bringing your kids if you do that but I’m sure wives and dogs are fine. Speaking of dogs. If you are bringing a dog that doesn’t get along with other dogs make sure you have him on a leash.

As far as alcohol. We will most likely be camping and riding in state and federal parks where alcohol is prohibited. That being said we have never had an issue. We are all adults and can make our own decisions. Out of sight out of mind.

We are also in the mountains where rain showers and wind can be a factor. Be prepared! We will bring the club 10x20 canopy for rain at night.

There will be plenty of stops for gas and probably a grocery store on Friday and Saturday.

Also note we are in black bear country. Don’t put food in your tent. We can string up trash at night.

Attending:
@LCNuts (and friends)
@NC LX
@Bryanseye
@trshmtnyoda
We will be there

Anybody up for a charcuterie style pot luck? We’ve done it on a few trips and seems to always be a hit. Everyone bring one type of a favorite meat/cheese/nuts/crackers/ bottle wine.

It easy to pack, prep is sitting it out. I usually swing by a fancy grocery store and grab some swanky cheeses that are way too expensive.

Maybe we can even convince @Bryanseye to whip something up in his oven.

Last edited:
What time is everyone getting to Gorges. I’m keeping the girls out of school Friday and gonna leave early. According to google, driving back roads with stops I’m about 6-7 hours out. Loosing an hour I’m shooting for a 4-5 pm arrival, and then another 30 min after going through gate.

Anybody up for a charcuterie style pot luck? We’ve done it on a few trips and seems to always be a hit. Everyone bring one type of a favorite meat/cheese/nuts/crackers/ bottle wine.

It easy to pack, prep is sitting it out. I usually swing by a fancy grocery store and grab some swanky cheeses that are way too expensive.

Maybe we can even convince @Bryanseye to whip something up in his oven.
Well I do have a cowboy dutch oven hanger that hasn't been used yet. Thinking I may just cook up some beans.

1691766219383.png

What time is everyone getting to Gorges. I’m keeping the girls out of school Friday and gonna leave early. According to google, driving back roads with stops I’m about 6-7 hours out. Loosing an hour I’m shooting for a 4-5 pm arrival, and then another 30 min after going through gate.
@TallPineCruiser and I plan to leave the Pee Dee region around 9:00am. That should put us at camp around 2:00pm

Also count me in for the fancy cheeses

Just about as pleasant as can be for Friday's site. Saturday's site forecast shows 10+ reduction in max temps with the elevation change but still no signs of high wind or precip.
1692021749364.png

Just about as pleasant as can be for Friday's site. Saturday's site forecast shows 10+ reduction in max temps with the elevation change but still no signs of high wind or precip.
View attachment 3400801
Looking forward to it. It’s 97 with a heat index of 121 here in Huntsville.

Disregard last message…,Looks like we’re coming, I’ve been told to go and take the kids. Having them out and busy so she can spend time with family. See y’all tonight

Last edited:
I’m pretty sad to say this but I’ve had an unexpected passing in my family. Me and the kiddos will not be attending. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for months. It’s a favorite. And I’m running out of time before my busy season begins. I may put out a thread in the next few weeks to see if anybody wants to go up with me again or someone who couldnt make this weekend. Sorry guys. Y’all know I had something special brewed up to bring with me…

Last edited:
Left late and my alternator crapped out. Limped it home off my aux battery. Pretty sure I have internal regulated alternator in the barn somewhere I ordered for a 40 and never used. Gonna get it installed and leave early. See y’all at the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom