Opinions Please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you may remember me, I used to have a 40th trail rig I got rid of a few years ago. Well, I am considering another 80. Here is my situation. I had an 06 Tundra Double cab I wreced on Saturday. I just heard from the body shop that it is totaled. I have $10,000 I can put into a vehicle. The two options I am considering right now are using that $10K as a down payment on an 07 or 08 Tundra 5.7 or use it to buy and fix up an 80 as a daily driver. I am looking for opinions on which way I should go. I'm kind of aprehensive about using a 13-17 year old vehicle as a 50 mile a day daily driver. I'm not wanting to do any kind of off roading mods to the 80 as long as its my daily driver. I need a big vehicle due to having a handicapped daughter that requires a lot of medical equipment when we travel. If I get the tundra I would put a bed cover on it as my 06 had and would use that. If I got an 80 I would likely also have to purchase a small cargo trailer for vacations.

In your case, I'd say Tundra for sure. Some may argue, but an '08 Tundra is going to be more reliable on average than a 13-17 year-old Land Cruiser. If your old Tundra served you well, I'd hop right back in one. My brother just picked up a 2010 two months ago with the 5.7. Very nice trucks. The Tundra will get marginally better mpg with the large V-8. Depends on how you drive it.

Last edited:
Your other option would be to go with a 100-series which could be paid off really quick, if not fully, and have all the necessary maintenance up to date. It sounds like you came to the 80's section to be talked into another SUV, but why not get the comfort, power and space afforded by a UZJ100? Or, 200? Either way, you are not going to need an 80-series for it's off road capability; and even then, the 100 is not barred by any means of being off road capable, but you mentioned that it is not a necessity of yours.

It seems that it all boils down to personal preference at this point, so take whichever suits you best. I would personally like the idea of having my vehicle paid off as well as the reliability factor.

x3 on the 100 Series. An early 2000's 100 will still be very reliable and you wouldn't have the enormous monthly payment to go with it.

Used Sienna minivan. I have a daughter with CP, and the 80 is not a mobility vehicle. Neither is a tundra. The 100 might be a good idea. The hatch is high, and putting a wheelchair in and out will get tiresome. Your wife might not like the lifting. good luck.

You went away from the 80 series once. Ask yourself, why do you want another one? Is it nostalgia or is it practicability? That might help you decide. IMHO, using a 13-17 year old vehicle as a DD is not the greatest idea in the world, unless you have the time, tools and desire to spend a considerable amount of time on PM and upkeep.

A LX470! I drove one the other day for kicks and giggles and it was plush! They are still very capable off road and you get all the upgrades. I am going to buy one myself when I go hog wild with my truck and dedicate it to the trail rig.

How about a seqouia? Lots of room, huge rear gate lots o room etc.

I will take any Toyota with plenty space, 4 doors and easy access to cargo area .. means a Land Cruiser or any Toyota Van ..

I will take any Toyota with plenty space, 4 doors and easy access to cargo area .. means a Land Cruiser or any Toyota Van ..

...and a Sequoia. ;)

...the 100 series proposition is way good.

I can't imagine buying brand new when there are good used options out there that are reliable.

Asks the question on the '80s forum and so far everyone has recommended to stay away...

so I have to speak up and support getting another 80. Not just to go against the other comments but because I believe it. I can afford and justify going with something newer but simply don't like anything I've seen over the past 10 years. Too much trim, unnecessary electronics, etc. Much prefer to stick with the basics and have the emphasis put on driving capability rather than more plastic, etc. And this isn't even getting to the character of the vehicle...

Think of all the mods, maintenance, etc you can do with an 80 and still have plenty of your $10K left over. You could replace enough of the critical parts in an 80 to make it essentially as reliable as a brand new one.

If you're going to use the 80 as a trail rig, then I'd say buy one. However, you're looking at a DD that you need ultra reliability from. I'd say buy a much newer vehicle.

The 80's are great trucks, but frankly the reason we all love them so much is they are comfortable and relatively plush vehicles that can wheel like crazy. They are beefy and well-built and pretty reliable and all that, but they are at least 13 years old now, so you'll be facing reliability and maintenance issues that you won't face with a newer Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom