Opinionated introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next door neighbor has a '15 Escalade that they bought this summer, low miles. We compared both trucks side-by-side, and the Caddy definitely has more tech goodies and doodads. I don't particularly think the thing felt as "solid" or well put together as the 200, but it was sure comfy and quiet going down the road.

Bad side of all the tech: the thing started having Christmas tree lights on the dash about a month ago. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't figure it out. They had the thing for FOUR WEEKS trying to get it fixed. At one point they called and said it was all fixed, so they went and picked it up. Pulled out of the lot, all the lights came on again. First they were in a crappy rental, then they complained so they got a loaner off the lot. They just got it back on Saturday, some brain somewhere ended up being the culprit.

Good side of the tech: at one point they called to check on the progress and were told "we're working on it right now". "uhhh... that's funny because On-Star shows me that the truck hasn't moved from the spot where I parked it a week ago". Busted by their own tech.

The promise to keep a car 10 years when previously changing out every 3-5 will be a test of will power for sure.
But the reasoning got the job done with the Mrs... so congrats and welcome. :beer:

Congratulations on the purchase! It sounds like you made a very well-considered choice, with the 200.

I don't know what people mean when they speak of "German Engineering" - the BMW's, Audis and MB's I've either owned or those around me have owned have been in the shop almost as much as on the road. I think people who extoll the virtues of German Engineering or how well-made those vehicles are, either never owned one, or have an extremely high threshold for repairs and repair costs.

Anyway, congrats. It's a phenomenal truck, capable of just about anything (except 20 mpg :) )

I have had many and mostly owned BMW, Merc(AMG63’s) and Audi’s. My BMWs have been in the shop more then any vehicle I’ve ever owned, including my first LR3 I had years ago(suspension failure though). My Mercs always need a firmware update but that’s about it. Granted I’ve never kept them past 3yrs and would never own any German car out of warranty. I am hoping the Porsche Macan S I ordered for my wife and picking up on Saturday will be much more reliable from all the other German products I’ve owned. I am buying the extended 7yr 100k warranty since she will keep it for 6yrs. I am absolutely buying a 2018 Land Cruiser in the next few months without the rear screens. This time I will keep it for 10yrs. I am tired of car shopping buying every couple of years and simply throwing away money when the LC is a very smart long term buy in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have had many and mostly owned BMW, Merc(AMG63’s) and Audi’s. My BMWs have been in the shop more then any vehicle I’ve ever owned, including my first LR3 I had years ago(suspension failure though). My Mercs always need a firmware update but that’s about it. Granted I’ve never kept them past 3yrs and would never own any German car out of warranty. I am hoping the Porsche Macan S I ordered for my wife and picking up on Saturday will be much more reliable from all the other German products I’ve owned. I am buying the extended 7yr 100k warranty since she will keep it for 6yrs. I am absolutely buying a 2018 Land Cruiser in the next few months without the rear screens. This time I will keep it for 10yrs. I am tired of car shopping buying every couple of years and simply throwing away money when the LC is a very smart long term buy in my opinion.

I had a Macan S that I absolutely loved. They seem to be very reliable from all reports I've read as well, and I had no issues with mine. I hope you got at least the 14 way if not 18 way seats - super comfortable!

I had a Macan S that I absolutely loved. They seem to be very reliable from all reports I've read as well, and I had no issues with mine. I hope you got at least the 14 way if not 18 way seats - super comfortable!

Great to hear you loved it and that it was reliable. As soon as my wife jumped in to test drive one, she was sold. She ended up picking the 14way seats. The 18way are really nice as well but when wearing big ski coats it might get a little snug, so the 14 was the better option for us.

Great to hear you loved it and that it was reliable. As soon as my wife jumped in to test drive one, she was sold. She ended up picking the 14way seats. The 18way are really nice as well but when wearing big ski coats it might get a little snug, so the 14 was the better option for us.

I had the 14 way in Agate grey, and they were excellent. If/when I get back into a Macan though I'll give the 18 way a shot - my buddy has a Turbo and I absolutely love the seats after trying them.

Congratulations on the purchase! It sounds like you made a very well-considered choice, with the 200.

I don't know what people mean when they speak of "German Engineering" - the BMW's, Audis and MB's I've either owned or those around me have owned have been in the shop almost as much as on the road. I think people who extoll the virtues of German Engineering or how well-made those vehicles are, either never owned one, or have an extremely high threshold for repairs and repair costs.

Anyway, congrats. It's a phenomenal truck, capable of just about anything (except 20 mpg :) )
I think for most people (especially automotive journalists) "German Engineering" refers to performance: acceleration, breaking, handling, balance, ride, etc. My 98' Boxster has been all kinds of unreliable.

Reminds me of the summer I worked for BMW in their R&D center in Munich. Went to visit one of the factories, and at the end of the product line there was a space with about 30-40 finished cars, each getting one or another manufacturing problem fixed before leaving the factory. The plant manager was beaming about how a team from Toyota had been there recently to see how BMW managed this kind of re-work. Of course, the Toyota plants each had only space for 3 cars to be re-worked -- because they didn't have manufacturing defects in the first place. That told me all I needed to know about how the cars were put together.

Did they have an LC on the Ridgecrest Toyota lot??? Or did they order it. Even in freaking LA they aren't on the lot

I made largely the same decision two years ago when I bought my 2015 (got a sweet deal considering the ‘16 was around the corner). I had a V10TDI Touareg, then a Cayenne Turbo, then an SQ5, all in a period of six years. When they worked, they were absolutely brilliant, but I honestly got sick of the “courtesy vehicle” lettering on the back of my ride everyday... when you pay for 500hp, it’s not fun to get 170hp and a CVT in a cheap loaner... but I digress.

My goal now is to take a car from 0-200k miles without sacrificing a thing, and the LC is the only car that made my list.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Looks like some like minded individuals around here.

I had to bow out of the convo when my wife’s water broke at 0930 yesterday morning. We welcomed this creature to earth at 1630.

FD93A46A-34A7-472A-BC4F-C86990BC6220_zpsnjcl6xuo.jpg

Both happy and healthy. Really ready to make use of the LC’s extra space over our previous vehicle now. Will check in when we’re all settled back at home.

Best post of the thread... congrats!

Thanks for all the replies folks. Looks like some like minded individuals around here.

I had to bow out of the convo when my wife’s water broke at 0930 yesterday morning. We welcomed this creature to earth at 1630.

FD93A46A-34A7-472A-BC4F-C86990BC6220_zpsnjcl6xuo.jpg

Both happy and healthy. Really ready to make use of the LC’s extra space over our previous vehicle now. Will check in when we’re all settled back at home.

Great post and amazing follow up! Congratulations on your new creature! :) Wishing yours great health and blessings!

We bought a 2014 X5, first year of the redesign. Wife loved it. Drove and felt amazing inside.

Within 6 months it had made 6 trips to the dealer and had over $10,000 worth of warranty repairs. Every time I picked it up, they essentially said to me “glad this was covered under warranty”.

Then at 14,000 miles I noticed one of her rear tires had tread hanging off the inside part of the tire. Took it in. They said that the large wheeled tires were only good for 15,000 miles and I was right on time to replace them. $3,200 for a set of low profile high speed rated tires. Called Discount Tire, price was about $2,800.

I told my self I was done with BMW. The difference in information given to customers by sales people vs service dept is staggering. Now I call service depts and ask about costs and longevity of thing, acting like I own a car I’m prospecting.

Anyways, sold the X5, and showed it as a trade in on a Tahoe. Got almost $5,000 back in extended warranties I bought and didn’t even feel comfortable would cover the car!!!

The Tahoe has been a great vehicle. It’s very reliable IMO, not an LC per se, but still does well.

Though I know my 200 will live past our current Tahoe and whatever precedes it.

The cost of ownership for 20 years is greatly less with a LC than any other vehicle out there.

Anyways, sold the X5, and showed it as a trade in on a Tahoe. Got almost $5,000 back in extended warranties I bought and didn’t even feel comfortable would cover the car!!!

The Tahoe has been a great vehicle. It’s very reliable IMO, not an LC per se, but still does well.

Though I know my 200 will live past our current Tahoe and whatever precedes it.

The cost of ownership for 20 years is greatly less with a LC than any other vehicle out there.

The Tahoe/Yukons are nice rides. Yeah, they'll last but just not on the level of LC, first will come the crumbling and creaky interior, and then the leaks, and then they just end up looking way outdated when the next generation comes along. But drivetrain wise.....the 5.3/6.2L are pretty good, trans are better than others out there but still not Toyota.

Did they have an LC on the Ridgecrest Toyota lot??? Or did they order it. Even in freaking LA they aren't on the lot

Sort of. The owner of the dealership had one he was using for his/his wife's transportation. We got it with some "demo" miles on it, but low enough for "new" finance rates at my lender. Goes to the point of the thread... Not something I'd be comfortable doing on a BMW, and made almost zero difference in the decision on the LC. I know all 2017's are essentially "loaded" but this one even had the paint protector film, remote start, and a few other add ons. Pretty thrilled with the deal we got.

We found the same thing at dealers; no Land Cruisers in stock anywhere. We assumed the further south we went the more likely we'd be to find one. Made it to Valencia Toyota and gave up when they didn't even have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom