Opinion of the Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about front bumper and skid plate?
I believe most 2007 to 2013 Tundra front winch bumpers will fit a 2008+ Sequoia. However, if you have Platinum, there are some extra gadgets that I hear may not work/fit on an aftermarket bumper without modification, such as the parking sensors and some laser cruise control doohickey. But I didn't have to worry about any of that with a SR5. I've seen the following Tundra bumpers fitted on a Sequoia: ARB, Iron Cross, Iron Bull, Demello, Fab Four, and mine, an ICI Magnum bumper.

Be warned, if you ask manufacturers if their Tundra bumpers will fit a Sequoia, they will likely say no just because they never tried to fit their Tundra bumpers on a Sequoia. The mechanic who installed my bumper said he followed the Tundra manufacturer instructions and it went smoothly.

On my Sequoia, I also installed the optional ICI front skid plate (I had to slightly modify the holes to mount it). Once you lift your truck and install larger tires, there will be rubbing on the stock skid plate (or at least there was rubbing on mine at full turn), which you can address by modifying it or installing an aftermarket skid plate. From what I heard, a TRD skid plate also remedies the rubbing.

Last edited:
Check out Mo's thread if you haven't yet: Mo's 2014 Sequoia Build Thread ... Already In Progress
I've got an 08 SR5 with the airbags and have been very happy with it for the first 8 years and 110k miles. I finally put a bumper on it and have started using it for hunting/exploring and it really performs well. It is a long and heavy vehicle but given that it performs great. No regrets.
Better yet, TexYoung, if you're ever in the Houston area then hit me up, you can see my modifications in person and get a better idea of what you want to and don't want to do to your truck. I've done a little bit of everything.

I believe most 2007 to 2013 Tundra front winch bumpers will fit a 2008+ Sequoia. However, if you have Platinum, there are some extra gadgets that I hear may not work/fit on an aftermarket bumper without modification, such as the parking sensors and some laser cruise control doohickey. But I didn't have to worry about any of that with a SR5. I've seen the following Tundra bumpers fitted on a Sequoia: ARB, Iron Cross, Iron Bull, Demello, Fab Four, and mine, an ICI Magnum bumper.

Be warned, if you ask manufacturers if their Tundra bumpers will fit a Sequoia, they will likely say no just because they never tried to fit their Tundra bumpers on a Sequoia. The mechanic who installed my bumper said he followed the Tundra manufacturer instructions and it went smoothly.

On my Sequoia, I also installed the optional ICI front skid plate (I had to slightly modify the holes to mount it). Once you lift your truck and install larger tires, there will be rubbing on the stock skid plate (or at least there was rubbing on mine at full turn), which you can address by modifying it or installing an aftermarket skid plate. From what I heard, a TRD skid plate also remedies the rubbing.
Thanks for the input.... I will check into to the parts mentioned.

One caveat I forgot to mention is that if you install an aftermarket Tundra bumper, then you also need to install a Tundra grill. Tundra grills stick out further and lower than a stock Sequoia grill. You can probably find a mint Tundra grill on Craigslist for a $100, I did.

One caveat I forgot to mention is that if you install an aftermarket Tundra bumper, then you also need to install a Tundra grill. Tundra grills stick out further and lower than a stock Sequoia grill.
I saw the one on your truck and think it looks great. Did you buy that from a Toyota dealership? How much was it? Did you paint it black or was that how you bought it? Was it easy to install?

I saw the one on your truck and think it looks great. Did you buy that from a Toyota dealership? How much was it? Did you paint it black or was that how you bought it? Was it easy to install?
I bought my grill from somebody on Craigslist for $100 and then took it to Maaco who painted it for a $100. Then the shop that installed my ICI bumper, installed the grill for me just by unscrewing and removing the old one then replacing it with the new one. Install didn't require new brackets.

I bought my grill from somebody on Craigslist for $100 and then took it to Maaco who painted it for a $100. Then the shop that installed my ICI bumper, installed the grill for me just by unscrewing and removing the old one then replacing it with the new one. Install didn't require new brackets.
Sounds good. Thanks! Looks like you live in Texas. I am in Ft. Worth. You?

Sounds good. Thanks! Looks like you live in Texas. I am in Ft. Worth. You?
I live in north and downtown Houston. Let me know if you are ever in the Houston area (because I rarely travel around Texas anymore) and wanna check out my truck.

I live in north and downtown Houston. Let me know if you are ever in the Houston area (because I rarely travel around Texas anymore) and wanna check out my truck.
Will do

Opinion of the Sequoia

If it was a diesel RHD version , I would swap my 75 series troopy on the spot for it.

I had a 93 TLC and now a 05 Sequoia. My wife loves the 05. Plenty of power to pull our 23ft light travel trailer over Mt Hood and great for road trips. Almost 170k miles on it now and only use Mobil 1 with OEM filter.

I had a 93 TLC and now a 05 Sequoia. My wife loves the 05. Plenty of power to pull our 23ft light travel trailer over Mt Hood and great for road trips. Almost 170k miles on it now and only use Mobil 1 with OEM filter.
Ya, I bought an 08 Platinum with 140k. It has been a great truck so far! Rides like a Cadillac, has tons of room for 3 kids and the dog and I have already used it to tow a car with. Very happy. Only thing I dont like is the 5.7 sucks up the gas. Give and take, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom