Only front brakes working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short. Went on a trip noticed my brake fluid wasn't perfectly at the top, grabbed yellow bottle of fluid, topped up res 1tbsp. Turns out I'm a dumbass and it's power steering fluid... Flush system after I realize (three days) , looks like coca cola, run till it's clear brakes feel good. Several days later brakes lighten up as I'm sitting at a stop light and brakes slowly release causing the Lx to roll forward. Bleed brakes again, brakes feel good. Pedal is solid but the brakes fade quick and won't stop quickly. No leaks anywhere.... I'm certain that I need to replace the master cylinder because the power steering fluid ate away the seals. Does anyone concur or disagree?

There's a MC test procedure in the FSM, but I think I agree that it's toast.

You didn't mention bleeding the LPSV which is located behind the gas tank and has a rod running to the rear axle. If you didn't bleed that it could optimistically be part of your problem.

There's a MC test procedure in the FSM, but I think I agree that it's toast.

You didn't mention bleeding the LPSV which is located behind the gas tank and has a rod running to the rear axle. If you didn't bleed that it could optimistically be part of your problem.
I bled the LPSV, each time I bled.

Not to sound like a dick, but you are screwed. Lots of work ahead of you. All rubber in system is likely ruined.

God forbid you have ABS in place still.

There was a sludge in the reservoir, I'm holding out hope that it was suspended in the master cylinder due to the viscosity difference between the fluids, this hope is only slightly reinforced by the fact that the slaves aren't leaking and I haven't activated the abs in months... But yeah, worst case $600 more bones to replace the abs pump and all calipers. Fingers crossed and prayers said hopefully just the master!

ABS delete. Though as I say that I have not seen a bad ABS unit myself. Bleed LSPV use gravity as your friend, and replace MC.

0251 Import Power Bleeder Kit

I'm a fan for life. Someone has a better master cylinder reservoir adapter; it's posted on here somewhere and I have it bookmarked, somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it too.

0251 Import Power Bleeder Kit

I'm a fan for life. Someone has a better master cylinder reservoir adapter; it's posted on here somewhere and I have it bookmarked, somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it too.

I did a thread on a cost effective power bleeder , I used a hose clamp to hold the lid on

20170513_162506.jpg

20170513_162512.jpg

UPDATE: master cylinder replaced, system bled twice using 2.5 Quarts of brake fluid till everything was running clear. I've been in the mountains, towed a heavy trailer and they're grabbing great. Thanks for the advice, I think I had luck on my side on this one. Lesson learned. I'll look into power bleeders this December.

Too crazy... I was just looking for this thread to check for an update.

Awesome news. When in responded earlier I missed the "1tbsp" part.

UPDATE: master cylinder replaced, system bled twice using 2.5 Quarts of brake fluid till everything was running clear. I've been in the mountains, towed a heavy trailer and they're grabbing great. Thanks for the advice, I think I had luck on my side on this one. Lesson learned. I'll look into power bleeders this December.

You were very lucky @OkinawaJoe ! This could have been (an may still happen) a very ugly and expensive issue. We had a hired hand that poured hydraulic fluid into the master cylinder on an International truck with air over hydraulic brakes. It blew out the master as well as every slave. We had to replace all the lines and everything.

Stay on top of them and bleed again if necessary.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom