One rocker not oiling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my F.5 idling and I checked the valve train and most rockers have a least a dribble of oil coming from the hole on the rocker arm. One spurts pretty good. One other has no oil coming from the hole at all. I ran a piece of wire in the hole hoping it was plugged but didn't get any improvement. What can be done to help that one rocker get oil?

Should be an easy one Since you are getting oil to the rockers. I’d Pull the rocker assembly. Disassemble. Soak it in diesel or similar. Blow out with air. Reassemble. Piece of cake.

Good advice from Bluegrass40.
Remember there are two exit holes in each rocker. One feeds onto the valve and one feeds onto the push rod & down to the lifter. The valve feed hole is obvious and right on top. I can’t remember exactly were the push rod feed hole is but I’m thinking it’s as shown in this pic. Hopefully someone can confirm or correct me.

When I took apart my F.5 rocker assembly, I used fishing leader wire and torch tip cleaners to un-clogged them. The clogs seemed baked in and were semi hard like carbon deposits. Because of excessive wear, I replaced the rocker shaft and the bushings.

rocker 01.jpg

Not sure how critical it is but when I did mine, I kept all of the rockers and springs in the same position when reassembling. (I was working with a 2F but I’m pretty sure they are very similar).

forgot to suggest a good inspection prior to cleaning. Will give confidence in the fix!

Good advice from Bluegrass40.
Remember there are two exit holes in each rocker. One feeds onto the valve and one feeds onto the push rod & down to the lifter. The valve feed hole is obvious and right on top. I can’t remember exactly were the push rod feed hole is but I’m thinking it’s as shown in this pic. Hopefully someone can confirm or correct me.

When I took apart my F.5 rocker assembly, I used fishing leader wire and torch tip cleaners to un-clogged them. The clogs seemed baked in and were semi hard like carbon deposits. Because of excessive wear, I replaced the rocker shaft and the bushings.

View attachment 2243705
Where do you find a rocker shaft, and bushings?

Mark,
Can a late 2F rocker assembly be mounted on an early 2F head? The later rocker shafts seem less wear prone, they have holes and slots for oil, not just holes.

Mark,
Can a late 2F rocker assembly be mounted on an early 2F head? The later rocker shafts seem less wear prone, they have holes and slots for oil, not just holes.

I have never investigated that possibility, so I don’t know. Still have about 40 sets of used rocker arm assemblies, so I never had the need to know.

Where do you find a rocker shaft, and bushings?
I got the shaft and bushings from SOR but that was in 2000. I see they're now NLA.
A quick search turned up the Toyota shaft part # of 13901-60022 but didn't find any available.

Last edited:
Toyota # for bushings is 90999-73043. These might work. "BUSHINGS".
Amayama shows the shaft in stock but that doesn't mean they have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom