One Expensive Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nothing like an airbag in your face, or a seatbelt pre tensioner mark across ones torso! Driven this road numerous times and the powers to be thought they should deactivate it with out any warning. Sitting shy of $13000 CDN to fix☹️

Needless to say I will be more careful in future on this road. Truck didn't like reanacting Dukes of Hazard stunts. The ditch is over 3' deep. Smashed my rear glass too. Hit it doing 50 kmph. The bang from the airbags was louder than the hit.

Ouch!

The ARB proved to be airbag complaint when the front bottomed out? Is it a total loss?

Ouch!

The ARB proved to be airbag complaint when the front bottomed out? Is it a total loss?
ARB bumper has nothing to do with the airbag sensors. Any aftermarket bumper will still set off airbags under the same conditions.

OP, that's why I'm always scared to run down country roads at a fast pace... But that's the worst I've ever seen from a suspension/front impact. What all is damaged?

Wow.
Airbags deploy based on deceleration forces, were you braking hard as you hit the up slope of the ditch? That is an expensive trip! I wonder if Toyota would help you out since this should not happen without severe life threatening deceleration.

Close. Luckily I can control the cost to a point as I am a Toyota Parts and Service Manager. Max insurance will pay is $15000 towards repair or 50% value. I sold the insurance company the dash and rear glass at cost. SRS parts almost $7000. I won't allow them to write it off and my adjuster is a personal friend and he said he'll help assist me in keeping it if I can assist with cost, so win, win, win, in the end. Rear hatch, hood and fenders getting repainted too. Kinda lucky situation really!

Yes full on ABS. No passenger. Toyota said that due to rapid deceleration and forceful impact, the SRS system did what it was designed to do and activated full frontal deployment, full stage. Drivers bag tore my left thumb nail off and brushed my nose. The seatbelt hurt for a day. Bit of a bugger getting it fixed with the recall coming out as Toyota doesn't want to sell the Center airbag ECU. I thought about sending them the old ECU as I do feel the psg side bag shouldn't have gone off. $3000 just for that!

Close. Luckily I can control the cost to a point as I am a Toyota Parts and Service Manager. Max insurance will pay is $15000 towards repair or 50% value. I sold the insurance company the dash and rear glass at cost. SRS parts almost $7000. I won't allow them to write it off and my adjuster is a personal friend and he said he'll help assist me in keeping it if I can assist with cost, so win, win, win, in the end. Rear hatch, hood and fenders getting repainted too. Kinda lucky situation really!

I've always been careful working around Airbags. I guess Insurance won't pay if the Airbags go off
while working on it. Yours though was an accident hitting the ditch.
How about cases when Airbags just suddenly deploy like what is happening with 2004-2006
side Airbags?

so let me get this straight... the airbag deployment was enough to blow out the rear glass?

Is it a private road?
I would think that Ministry of Forests or whatever would have posted signs.

Rear glass got smashed from the ladder/high lift jack striking the glass. I cleared some stupid air. I was told afterwards that, a few weeks before, the FSR was majorly washed out and the road halfway up is being deactivated. Signs are to follow apparently. Just my luck really. Two ways to access the road. I came from the top. Bottom up would have been a different story. Anyways, got an airbag deactivation switch going in now, not that I would let something like this happen again. Absolute freak accident. Never had an insurance claim before that was my fault. My buddy in the 4Runner appreciated me getting out after impact and slowing him down in time.

Wow, that is crazy .. sorry to hear about the damage and glad no one got hurt bad. Thanks for sharing , maybe it will be a lesson to others slow down a little..

Maybe the pictures don't do it justice, but that just looks like a small depression in the road. Sorry for the damage and glad everyone is OK. I guess in my head, I always thought it take a dukes of hazzard level jump to get the airbags to deploy. Duly noted. Thanks for learning a lesson for us the hard way.

I want to know more about the deactivation switch you plan to install. After you lifted your truck and realigned, did you do a zero point calibration( that clears the yaw rate and deceleration sensor)?

Greyback FSR heading towards 201. I'll post about the deactivation switch once I get my truck back. I still need to figure that one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom