OME Dakaar Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which one is better? Doesn't matter anymore, as I mentioned... there are no more original OME kits available :D;)

As for the Dakkar kits... So far so good, they are a great kit just as the OME's were, and for the reduced price :D

I got the dakar lift from david in february and I love em. Smoothest and most supple suspension lift I've ever rode in. I went with 1.5" longer shackels for a bit more tire room for 33's and couldn't be more happier. Well, there is a slight "rake", probably due to the bumper and winch, but I'm in the works trying to figure out a way to level it. As far as the dakar lift, wouldn't use any other, completely impressed with the ride. :cheers:

Last edited:
I second FJKai's opinion on the Dakar's. I helped him install them and have wheeled in his rig with them. Very supple and flexy off road and much softer than stock on road.

And I give a thumbs up to David, a great guy to deal with IMO. :beer:

Nice rig FJKai!

I'm thinking of a way to convince my wife to let me embark on another spendy project once this 350 swap is done. I'm definitely gonna go with Dakkars.

I hear you Nick. I my Dakkars have been moving down the list too.

Nice rig FJKai!

I am trying to decide if I should swap my stock rims out for rock crawlers when I add the suspension.

What are the major advantages of the rock crawlers that soo many of you guys are putting on your rigs?

Thanks for all the great feedback!

If you are running 9.5 width tires stick with stock wheels, it will look sweet. Some people even put 10.5 on them, but you will get some people saying that is too wide for the wheel.

I just got a set of Rock Crawlers. I don't think there are any advantages to them. They are cheap. They come in the proper backspacing and don't rub the calipers. They are steel. Go Steelers.

I needed new wheels to go to 12.5 tires.

9.5 gives me a disadvangtage in sand correct?

I think I would at least want 10.5 for running on the beach and in the dunes. I guess if 10.5 is too wide for the wheel that would give merit to the rock crawlers (besides them just looking real good).

My stock wheels have some rust around the welds. Has anyone heard of using Naval Jelly to remove the hard to buff surface rust from them with success?

Thanks again for the feedback! This site has helped me so much it is rediculous.

I've run these 9.5's in the dunes no problem, went anywhere I wanted. Hell that pic is at the Oregon coast dunes for proof. Just aired down to about 15 psi (others I've seen went down to 7 and even 5, but they had bead lock rims) and it was no prob, shoot, half the time I didn't even need to put it in 4wd, unless I was going up a steep dune. I have to admit though, if I had 12.5's it would be even better, but the 9.5's can hold their own in the sand aired down easily. What is really needed in the sand is good ole fashion POWER!!!! The sand is all about power (and light weight if you can do it). Those 9.5's would really tear up the dunes with a V8 spinning em. The stock 2F torque just doesn't generate the wheel speed needed to get up the big dunes, but I was still happy with where I was able to go.

Last edited:
You would be able to air down even further with 10.50s on your stock rims. And no, it's not too wide a tire--I and many others have run this setup.

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

FJKai

I am a former east coaster who has never been up there. I had no idea that Oregon had dunes like that. (Sounds as ignorant as someone in So Cal saying "you don't sound like your from Virginia" to me) I have friends in Portland, how far is the sand from there?

You run a 33' that is 9.5? What is the actual height of the lift on your truck?

Great color on that rig!

As I mentioned earlier, I have about 3 inches of lift in front and 2.5 in the rear with the OME med heavy kit. 33 9.5s fit perfectly and allow me to wheel where I had not wheeled before! I did have to mod the muffler mount in the rear though. In teh spring (2006) I intend to get new 33s BFG MTs.

Fearnofish

That sounds great. Did you say you are also running stock wheels? I have read that the OME kits are pretty bolt on ready. Got any feedback/pointers for my near future install?

Do you have some pics?

Hokie,

The dunes are between Florence and Coos Bay. I’d guess about 3+ hours southwest of Portland. Not sure of your dune experience, but the oregon dunes are like speed bumps compared to Glamis and Dumont dunes (so-cal transplant, as probably 85% of oregon, or at least california anyway). I have to admit though, they sure are a lot more prettier though. There is also the Christmas Valley dunes southeast of Bend. Never been there yet, but they look pretty cool due to the high desert surroundings.

As far as the lift height, I went with the dakar lift that david from urbanlandcruiers sells. I think it comes as a lift between 2" to 2.5" (maybe david will chime in). After a few emails back and fourth, we figured in order to get the lift and look I wanted, the dakar lift with 1.5" longer shackels than what they normally come with would do the trick. I’d guess it gave me a lift of about 3" to 4". TOY 350 helped and has all the numbers, I’m sure he’ll chime in. Do a search for “dakar lift 1.5" over shackels” or something like that and the thread about it should pop up. Right now I’m waiting to hear back from david (check you email man) about how to keep the smooth ride and bring the front end up level with the rear since there is a slight rake to it right now. I’m sure the heavy ass front bumper and winch contributed to this. I would seriously consider the dakar lift if you are looking for a suspension lift. I’ve been in some bad suspension lifts that did the lifting part ok, but as far as quality of ride, they were like an old wagon with wooden wheels so be careful. Also, the lift install was by far the easiest thing I’ve done so far, just make sure you have at least 2 floor jacks and it’s cake. Good luck.

We (FJKai) went with the heavy Dakar kit as per David's suggestion. I think the lift will be 2" with the kit. We wanted between 3" and 4" of lift and thought the Dakar kit would get us close to 3". David said to go with 1.5" over shackles to get us a good ride height with 33's. We didn't want to go over 4" and were taking David's word on this one. All said and done we got about 3.5" with the Dakar's and the 1.5" over shackles. You could run 33's with the Dakar lift but you might rub if you went with anything wider than a 10.5 tire. Personally I think the 1.5" over shackles and the kit fit 33's perfectly. I would say just the kit and the shackles that come with it would be perfect for 31's.

The install was easy. The hardest part is getting your old stuff off. Get the Toyota Service Manual and follow the directions and it actually should be fun.

FJKai

Thanks, I will need all the luck I can get.

I have to get her back on the road first (see my other threads). I am doing it myself so that I can keep my lift savings.

Thanks for the feedback!

TOY

I can't wait to get the lean my rig has out of it with the OMEs. I agree it should be a blast.

From all of the feedback, I think I have decided to run 32s with @ 10.5 on the basic kit with no lift.

I am mainly a pleasure cruiser and don't think I will use the benefit of the 33s, but want the width of the 10.5. I think the kit comes with around 2.5 worth of lift and from the feedback and reading I think that should be plenty to avoid any rubbing.

Talking with you guys has got me all fired up to get the check in the mail ASAP and get those badboys in my garage.

The lift should be great with 32's as well. Good luck and remember to soak all the bolts for at least a day before you begin to take them off, it will save you frustration and maybe a couple of knuckles. When we did FJKai's ride, it wasn't even my rig but I was excited when it was done and the way it felt, night and day difference.

PB blaster worked for about half my bolts. The other half were scarred off by a sawzall. Tips... don;t be afraid to break out the saw. The old componets (if your truck is like mine) were about frozen with rust. SO when teh PO said it had never been off roaded now I believe him... they had no travel! ANyway, the install is straight forward. I did one wheel at a time. I also used a bottle jack to compress the springs when trying to line up the springs with the pin in the spring seat. Scarry at first but doable. I also ended up CUTTING off my spare when I couldn't get enough room to hammer out the rear bushings. I removed one end of a hacksaw blade and slid it through then reconnected it. Carfully and slowly I cut the bushing into pieces from the inside and then tapped it out. I didn't srach the inside of the the spring mount at all!!! Also carful not to grease the outside of the bushings. It's tempting as they don't really want to go into the mounts on the truck but you only want the inside to be greased so the bushing wont turn but the pin will. I also panted all the components with a POR-15 knock off paint to help keep the demons at bay. Make sure you have a floor jack and about 6 jack stands. 2 of them will beed to be 24" of you'll have to place them on stumps. But then back up the "rigged" stands with two stands on the floor next to them. Can't be too safe when you have springs off and an axel loose. you might need additional washers for your spring mounts. Oh yeah, I got my U-bolt bolts tight then carfully drove to a service station and had them tighten them up to about 90psi. they didn't even charge me!

Good luck

I'll try to take some pics soon. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom