Ok this sounds like a rip off to me. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok when the AC switch is pushed in at any time the car won't run. So if you are driving along and you press it in the car will just shut down and stop just like if you turned the ignition key off. Sometimes if you start eh truck with the button pushed in it will run but this smelly ass stuff comes through the air conditioning vents. So baisically you can't press the button in at all or else the truck will shut off. I am assuming if the clutch is broken this is what is causing it.

Earlier today I pushed the AC button in prior to going the dealership and nothing happened. I think this is because prior to going the dealership I didn't have an AC belt. So maybe something is triggering it in the AC somewhere now that I have an AC belt back on my truck?.

P.S. I wouldn't pass it by me if I have some type of weird ingnition kill setup. I mean after all I do have the famous 80 series lights that turn on and off automatically when turning the car on and off. Pretty cool I know. :D

ac cltuch is one of the easier things to do, especially if you need a belt too, biggest problem is sometimes they get stuck on the tapered shaft (if it is like the one on my 62) you might need a puller,, I made one and it works great, I think I gave it to Dave before I moved out,,,,if the vehic shuts off bc of the clutch that is wierd as it is an electro magnet the magnet is weak until you give it power then it grabs the compressor, my guess is the compressor is locked up,,, and the clutch is doing its job,,

see the clutch spins with the pully, when you activate the clutch it grabs the compressor, and starts compressing freon,, if the compressor is siezed and the clutch grabs it it might stom the motor, but I would think the belt would spin and break,,, just my thoughts

This is difficult without more information. IF the vehicle will run without the belt on and the A/C switched on AND it will run with the belt on as long as the A/C is not turned on, that leads me to think that perhaps the compressor may be involved. If the belt free-wheels with the A/C off that would normally indicate that the clutch bearing is OK. In the case of a siezed compressor, engaging the clutch will lock it up. I sort of doubt that there would be enough drag to stop the engine though.

3pits said:
see the clutch spins with the pully, when you activate the clutch it grabs the compressor, and starts compressing freon,, if the compressor is siezed and the clutch grabs it it might stom the motor, but I would think the belt would spin and break,,, just my thoughts

Hmm... good point. May be why the belt had to be replaced to begin with. What say ye Sparky?

the electrical side of it is really just an on off switch to the electro magnet,, so electrically speaking you would have to have one F'd up problem,, grounding out somewhere,,

my guess based on my previous post:
did not cut off today bc no belt
the smell is the belt burning

what dealership did you go to? micheal kohn at mall of ga is great!!

I think Cdan wins the blind diagnostic prize of the day.......

I'm only a 1/2 banana, but I had a compressor go out on a lesser vehicle and it had enough grab to stop the engine......or burn the belt at higher RPMS like happened to you today....

I think you may need a compressor as well, but defintely another opinion, like from an AC shop....

Sounds like the dealer wants to start with the clutch....and then lead you by the nose to a compressor, or maybe it is unintentional but you will probably end up in the same place.....

2nd opinion, 2nd opinion....

Glad to see you back! :)

Whatever you do, find out what parts you are going to need, buy OEM from Dan, and either tackle it yourself :eek: or just pay labor..... ;)

yeah I work in parts at a Toyota dealership ...and just happen to drive a cruiser. I just happened to find this site a few days ago searching for an ARB bumper.

So if you guys need any help with anything just let me know.

Casey

Hello Casey,

Welcome to another dealer guy. I am The Parts Manager at American Toyota in Albuquerque and have been at it since 1979. Where do you hang your hat?

here's another 2 cents...

it sounds like the bearings are out in the compressor. I think the clutch is working fine.

Usually when a compressor starts to wear out, it makes a God-awful noise whenever you turn the AC on, then it eventually seizes.

my bet is the compressor, but I have called and spoken with mechanics at dealerships, and they have usually been pretty helpful. Just ask to speak to one when you call the service dept.

Good luck with it...

-Lance

CPJONES1231 said:
Performance Toyota in Memphis TN...Im not the manager, I just sling the parts over the shop counter.

welcome casey and if the mood strikes you please feel free to enter into an ih8mud price war with Dan. I hear his dogs are dining on foie gras these days. :D

seriously, welcome and any advice or help you can offer is appreciated. What year cruiser do you have?

semlin said:
welcome casey and if the mood strikes you please feel free to enter into an ih8mud price war with Dan. I hear his dogs are dining on foie gras these days. :D

seriously, welcome and any advice or help you can offer is appreciated. What year cruiser do you have?

Thanks for the welcome, I have a 93 Cruiser. I will try and help you guys any way I can ...I dont know about the price war though, I just have some spare stuff lying around that I can get rid of. I can order new parts if needed they just wouldnt be as cheap as I would sell some personal stuff Ive gathered thru the years.

Casey

I've found in dealing with AC problems for a large number of fleet pickups, etc over the years that an AC specialty shop is way better than any regular shop or stealership for AC problems. Just don't wait for the first hot day to get it fixed....

Stuck,
sorry to hear about your bad dealership experiance. As for the a/c compressor. It sounds like a good deal. For the ones I have done, have ben in the range of 200-500$ for the compressor/clutch ass. Then you have to factor in shop labor rate. Ours is 95$ an hour, dont know what it is out there... And we charge 1.2hrs for a/c evac and recharge. If you want to see if your getting riped off, call c-dan and get a price for aa a/c compressor and clutch then call the dealership and see what they charge for the a/c compressor and do the math. If/when you do the a/c compressor always make sure to replace the clutch with it, and watch out fot the spacers inbetween. A good check you can do on the a/c compressor is when the a/c is turned on, watch the compressor clutch, it should turn on and of every couple seconds.. Good luck.

CPJONES1231 said:
Thanks for the welcome, I have a 93 Cruiser. I will try and help you guys any way I can ...I dont know about the price war though, I just have some spare stuff lying around that I can get rid of. I can order new parts if needed they just wouldnt be as cheap as I would sell some personal stuff Ive gathered thru the years.

Casey

93 was a very fine year :D.

P.S. It also pissed me off because I showed them my Georgia Cruisers card and my TLCA card and they didn't give me a discount on any parts. But that is another story I guess.

The agreement was made with certain dealerships, not all of the ones in Atlanta.

stuck in GA said:
Ok when the AC switch is pushed in at any time the car won't run. So if you are driving along and you press it in the car will just shut down and stop just like if you turned the ignition key off. Sometimes if you start eh truck with the button pushed in it will run but this smelly ass stuff comes through the air conditioning vents. So baisically you can't press the button in at all or else the truck will shut off. I am assuming if the clutch is broken this is what is causing it.

Earlier today I pushed the AC button in prior to going the dealership and nothing happened. I think this is because prior to going the dealership I didn't have an AC belt. So maybe something is triggering it in the AC somewhere now that I have an AC belt back on my truck?.

P.S. I wouldn't pass it by me if I have some type of weird ingnition kill setup. I mean after all I do have the famous 80 series lights that turn on and off automatically when turning the car on and off. Pretty cool I know. :D

I also vote compressor...sounds similar to my dealings with a Toyota Celica A/C system. Replaced the compressor for less than $300 myself in a short afternoon of work.

btw...you are joking about your lights right? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom