Oil Filter Wrench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have changed too many oil filters to count and generally twist them off with my hands; occasionally using a filter wrench when the filter becomes stubborn.
The factory filter on my 1993 PZJ75 is being VERY stubborn; I have tried a rubber strap and chain strap wrench, but it is difficult to fit the wrench in and have no room to move the strap due to the intake manifold, injector pump and tubing.
I have measured the factory oil filter and it appears to be 95 mm with 15 flutes (facets).
Searched around on the forum to see what other members use for removing the oil filters from their 70 series LC.
Mostly there is reference to using a large pair of channel locks or twisting the filter off with their hands.
What do you use for removing the filter ??

I am presently in the PI and will be here until November; tools are difficult to come by here....
Looking around locally for a 3/8" drive 95 mm 15 flute cap style wrench, but haven't found any.

My last resort will be to order something online in the US and have my wife bring it with her when she flies over....
Any recommendations for a good quality filter wrench ??
Thank you for your assistance....

After searching around online I found an aluminum alloy 95 mm 15 flute 3/8" drive cap style filter wrench.
Ordered it and need to wait until it arrives in the US.

The OEM one that is listed as SST (don't remember the P/N) in the RM183E FSM is the best wrench I have used to date to remove the oil filter. @beno managed to order me one awhile back.

I use large channel locks, never had much luck with the proper tools. A worst case option is a flat head screw driver and a hammer. Pound the screw driver right through the middle of the filter....now you have a handle to turn it (and a mess...LOL).

Hands, with the filter wrapped in a cloth for grip. They dont need to be all that tight. Ive been doing them that way for years, never had a leak.

i found one of those circular expanding dealies to be just the trick. I have 2 extensions on it and a 3/8s cheapo ratchet. Looks like the below. dont use the tri tip expanding ones, they dont work. No effort with the below

DSC_0024.jpg

a piece of bicycle chain tied with a bicycle brake cable onto your 1/2 universal joint adaptor. then put that onto your normal ratchet. I used it (costs nothing) for a year or so untill I found the same "tool" made by draper.

I have a cheapo locking vise grip filter wrench that works great. Also have used a piece of sand paper mainly for putting filter on.

The OEM one that is listed as SST (don't remember the P/N) in the RM183E FSM is the best wrench I have used to date to remove the oil filter. @beno managed to order me one awhile back.
I looked up the SST filter wrench in the C section of the RM 183; the part number is 09228-22020.
The part is out of production and doesn't appear to be available anymore....

I looked up the SST filter wrench in the C section of the RM 183; the part number is 09228-22020.
The part is out of production and doesn't appear to be available anymore....

Here is the one that Beno got me. 09228-10002 My apologies if the one in the book was incorrect.

I might as well add that the SST for the fuel filter has also made it easier for me to remove that as well. Beno got me that one as well.

P/N: 09228-64010

With motorcycle oil filters I buy K&N filters and they come with a hex nut fixed to the end of the filter. No wrench needed. Anyone make those in larger sizes?

15 flute. I had the tool in my truck so I brought it into the office to measure. Not sure how you measure one of these properly but it is close to 100mm ID and 100mm OD.

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg
IMG_3194.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom