Oil Change - yes i searched first (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fatalscenarios.com
First I did try and find a post with a similar question first.

I just picked up a 92 fj80 with 180k on it. I am not mechanically inclined but I forcing that to change.

From reading the the forums it seems most are going with a high mileage 5w or 10w 30 or 40 and it seems there is concern about switching between synth and non-synth. I will be purchasing parts from autozone.

If I could get a suggestion on oil and filters that would be great. I have no brand loyalty so all suggestions are welcome. Just looking for someone to say get this and this... and I will and say thank you in return.

-I live in Grass Valley Ca, (Nor cal) cold winters and warm/hot summers.
-No idea whats in it no or what has been used.
-180k on motor.

If it were my 80, I would stick with regular oil (non-synthetic) and a Napa Gold 1515 filter. As for what weight, any of those you mention will work fine, but again, if it were my 80 I would lean towards the heavier weight oil.

Have fun!

The 3FE will pretty much run on anything. 10w30 Shell Rotella T5 and a Purolator oil filter is what I am currently running. I change every 3k miles.

Why heavier oil? I run 5-30 synth in my 96 and have for 150k + miles, doesn't burn or leak a drop.

I had a 92 80 and ran 20w50 all the time in South Alabama. I sold it with 350k miles. My 96 LX now has 399k miles and I also run 20w50. It does have and has had the normal leaks that I haven't fixed but leaks less with the heavy weight. Can't imagine getting better service from another oil.

Why heavier oil? I run 5-30 synth in my 96 and have for 150k + miles, doesn't burn or leak a drop.
92 has a 3f-e with flat lifters. I run 20w-50.

I'm running 5w 40 Rotella T6/ Napa filter and happy all-around with this in my 1991 3FE.

X2 on the Rotella T6 5W40 and Napa filter. Working great for me too! 216,500 miles and not burning a drop!

I read something about not switching between synthetic and non-syntehic oils on here... should I pay much attention to this?

Jibber you pretty much nailed it. The more reading about the topic I do, it seems I almost get more confused.

Welcome to the 3FE club, we get there slowly, but we always get there !!

When I pulled my rocker cover to do valve clearances, I found it to be very "gummed up", so I have been running some 15W 40 Diesel oil (high detergent to clean it out a bit), and I bought 20 litres, so it should cover 3 changes.

Mine had done 230 km's so a little less than yours.

there is a superstition that if you have been running regular dino and switch to synthetic, the goop that has been preventing your oil from leaking all these years will be washed away and your engine will leak from every seal.

I'm sure it's happened to somebody but i think the same thing could happen if you switched to a lighter dino oil, or another dino oil of the same weight that happens to have more detergents in it.

I run 10w30 in my 91 but I leak. Im thinking 10w40. Im a little afraid of the 20w50 and the cold temps. I also substitute a quart of oil for a quart of atf every few oil changes.

switched from the standard penzoil high mileage 10w-30 to mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 with the Mobil1Extended Performance Oil Filter [Part No M1-209] from advanced auto.

figured that with 216000 miles I don't care about the whole non syn to synth switch and the lighter weight.

Mobil 10w30 high mileage with Howard's Max Z.P.M additive......also OEM Toyota small filter.

Read-probably on here somewhere the 15-40 diesel oils are better because they contain additives no longer used in gas engine oils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom