Official ONSC HAM Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
I know there are a couple of HAMs in this club, so I figured I'd pose the question. I can handle the studying portion with a book I've got in addition to hamtestonline, but what I need is a testing location. A quick search turned up RARS - The Raleigh Amateur Radio Society and Wake County ARES as local HAM clubs and it looks like they administer tests pretty regularly.

I intend to get my HAM license for the trip out west this spring, so I was looking for some help in finding a good place to register for, and take, the HAM test.

- What club did you use to test with?
- What are the 'good' clubs around the Raleigh / Morrisville / Cary area?

Thanks guys!

RDU Repeater List:
http://rars.org/repeater/trirpt.htm

Last edited:
I tested at the New Hill FD. I haven't joined a local club yet, I'm a slacker.

I just used the on-line resources to study as well as an iPhone app that has all the test questions. I literally studied ~ 1wk and passed.

You'll never want to go back to CB once you use a HAM radio, the clarity and distance are so far above CB it isn't funny...

That's what I've been told, hence the reason why I want to take the test! I need to schedule an exam date so I can force myself to start studying.

Is the New Hill FD at this address?

3045 New Hill Holleman Rd
New Hill, NC 27562

Let me know when you schedule yours Johnny, I might take it also. I've been testing myself on my Droid App...

There are lots of options for tests in the area. Most tests are open and you can just show up. RARS club tests every other month. Next Tues. Feb. 7th there will be one. I'm a member and I'll be there.

There's another test in Hillsboro Sat. Feb. 11th. and RARS Fest is April 7th. there's testing there and more ham radio gear than you'll see all year. There are other options I'm leaving out, those are just the ones I know about off the top of my head.

There are a few active clubs in the area. I'd recommend getting your liscense and a radio and listening to the local repeaters. Each club/repeater has it's own personality. Then decide which club you might want to join.

I'm still pretty new to all of it too but if you've got any questions let me know.

-Sean

Let me know when you schedule yours Johnny, I might take it also. I've been testing myself on my Droid App...

My schedule may or may not be pretty open, right now next Tuesday looks nice and clear. Based on Sean's response, I think I'll try for next week!

There are lots of options for tests in the area. Most tests are open and you can just show up. RARS club tests every other month. Next Tues. Feb. 7th there will be one. I'm a member and I'll be there.

There's another test in Hillsboro Sat. Feb. 11th. and RARS Fest is April 7th. there's testing there and more ham radio gear than you'll see all year. There are other options I'm leaving out, those are just the ones I know about off the top of my head.

There are a few active clubs in the area. I'd recommend getting your liscense and a radio and listening to the local repeaters. Each club/repeater has it's own personality. Then decide which club you might want to join.

I'm still pretty new to all of it too but if you've got any questions let me know.

-Sean

That is some excellent info Sean, thank you! Can we meet up for the meeting on the 7th? Are you going to be at the meeting in Apex tomorrow?

Great, hopefully you and Brian can make it next Tues. I'll find out what time the testing starts and try to get there a few minutes early. I'll send you a message with the time and my number.

I made the last ONSC meeting but will have to miss this one. I'll try to make next month too.

-Sean

Just a reminder about the test tomorrow night at the RARS meeting in N. Raleigh.

There are some refreshments before the meeting and testing start at 7:30.

Hope to see a couple of people there.

Too early for me, I'm still learning! :)

I'll be there. Been studying lightly for the past couple of days and tonight is the big study night. For some reason I thought it was Wednesday! Thanks for the reminder Sean. Send me a PM with your #.

Tonight, I passed my Technician exam and Sean passed his Extra exam! Add another ham to the list!

Sean is the man:D

Has anyone else gone and gotten their HAM license? Every time I'm at a larger TLCA event more and more and more people are using these things and ditching their old CB.

I need to, but have had my CB's for so darn long now kinda attached.

Has anyone else gone and gotten their HAM license? Every time I'm at a larger TLCA event more and more and more people are using these things and ditching their old CB.

Nope, I was studying for a little while, but stopped. Need to pick it back up.

August 6th is the next test and 2 weeks away. Plenty of time to take a few practice tests online and be ready to get your license.

The questions are all multiple choice and picked from a pool of questions that you can look at online with all the answers.

The license is about $12 and good for 10 years.

Good info from the Raleigh club here...
http://rars.org/becomeaham.htm

Yeah, I'll be back in Wilmington that week on vacation. But, I'll keep studying and eventually take the exam.

This is the radio I've been scoping out, as I think it deals with the type of activity and has some good features. Power, not sure? I'll let the experts comment..

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...B1B4B2CB4DA49BCF88&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Got some good features:

• Plenty of RF Power Output – 50W on 2m / 40W on 70cm
  • (Industrial First) Detachable waterproof front panel with incredibly versatile mounting options
  • (Industrial First) AF Dual Monitor function - listen to AM/FM and monitor a ham frequency at the same time
  • (Industrial First) Intercom feature to communicate with fellow passengers
  • (Industrial First) Automatic Volume Control to adjusts the speaker volume relative to nearby noisy environments
  • (Industrial First) Text Messages – transmit alphanumeric messages with sender ID. Pre-program up to twenty
    16-character messages
  • (Industrial First) Unique VOX function – automatic audio delay on transmit to insure transmission of all words
  • (Industrial First) Bluetooth accessories coming in the future!
  • Large Multi-function dial & durable keys that are easy to operate even when wearing gloves
  • Independent AM/FM broadcast receiver
  • High power 8-watt audio amplifier for effective PA communications with optional speaker
  • Smart Key on front panel to access the most frequently used radio functions
  • Club Channel Monitor – always monitor a designated user-defined frequency
  • Smart Search – scans and loads frequencies automatically where activity is found
  • Automatic Range Transponder System – provides audio and/or visual confirmation of another ARTS equipped
    station within communications range
  • Time-out Timer – ends a continuous transmission after a preset time

Brian, that's the exact same radio I picked out. It has 50w transmission power and a waterproof, detachable head unit. I was just bidding on one that was on ebay yesterday!

Nick pearl in GCLCNY has that radio in his 4runner and he loves it.

I got my Tech license in May. I'll be testing for General in September.

My Yaesu ft2900r convinced a couple at the event to start working towards ham. We would be less than a quarter mile apart on the trail at times, but due to obstructions would have difficulties communicating. We were able to make contact with others from the event from as far as 65 miles apart on 2m simplex. 15-20 miles was a non issue.

It seems much more intimidating to get the license than what it really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom