OEM split TC parking brake fits ALL Split Cases?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I have an Aussie split transfer case (attached to an H41). Will it's OEM attached parking brake assembly bolt up (with no mods) to ANY split transfer case (specifically a US spec case)?

THanks

What do you mean ‘bolt up’?

The main shafts are not the same, so unless you are going to split the case apart and swap everything over, it is not a ‘bolt on’ deal.

I mean can I take the OEM parking brake assembly that is on the transfer case that is attached to the H41 off and bolt it onto the back of a split transfer case that did not come OEM with the parking brake.

I'm guessing the rear part of the output shaft is different then...
I'll have to pull the TC apart to install it anyway, can I just get the "right" output shaft? Is it a multi banana job to swap the shaft?

I'm guessing the rear part of the output shaft is different then...

Yes, significantly.

I'll have to pull the TC apart to install it anyway, can I just get the "right" output shaft? Is it a multi banana job to swap the shaft?

I have an Aussie split transfer case (attached to an H41). Will it's OEM attached parking brake assembly bolt up (with no mods) to ANY split transfer case (specifically a US spec case)?

What is wrong with the output shaft that you currently have?

Nothing wrong at all.... I have an H55F I'm putting into a 40. I currently have a H41 with a split TC and attached parking brake in that 78FJ40. I would like to sell the H41 and split TC to a guy that is putting it in a later 40 that has rear axle housing mounted drum parking brakes and does not need the parking brake that is on the H41/Split TC combo. I would like to have a TC parking brake for my 40.
I can keep the TC and put it all on the 40
I can spend $$$ on a conversion kit
I can swap the "right" output shaft into a "new" split TC (?) and keep just the parking brake assembly from the TC I am selling mated to the H41

I'll have to pull apart the "new" TC to put it on the H55 in any case (no pun intended).

I have an H55F I'm putting into a 40. I currently have a H41 with a split TC and attached parking brake in that 78FJ40. I would like to sell the H41 and split TC to a guy that is putting it in a later 40 that has rear axle housing mounted drum parking brakes and does not need the parking brake that is on the H41/Split TC combo. I would like to have a TC parking brake for my 40.
I can keep the TC and put it all on the 40
I can spend $$$ on a conversion kit
I can swap the "right" output shaft into a "new" split TC (?) and keep just the parking brake assembly from the TC I am selling mated to the H41

I'll have to pull apart the "new" TC to put it on the H55 in any case (no pun intended).

If you want to keep that parking brake, you are going to be spending a lot of time and money on swapping transfer cases between the H41 and the H55, and then trying to find another split case to make that H41 complete, minus the parking brake.

can I just get the "right" output shaft?

Might be able to....

Someone was talking about trying to piece together the parking brake conversion kit, instead of purchasing it from SOR or MAF....I am pretty sure that they ended up just getting the conversion pieces from SOR...

Is it a multi banana job to swap the shaft?

Have you ever been into a transfer case?

Have you ever built a transmission?

Can you set up a differential?

If you want to keep that parking brake, you are going to be spending a lot of time and money on swapping transfer cases between the H41 and the H55, and then trying to find another split case to make that H41 complete, minus the parking brake.

Why, will the split TC for the H41 be something special?

Have you ever been into a transfer case?

Yes, a couple of times I have swapped split TCs on/off of 4 speeds. (in addition to below)

Have you ever built a transmission?
I have rebuilt a split TC, not a tranny

Can you set up a differential?
Never tried...

Someone was talking about trying to piece together the parking brake conversion kit, instead of purchasing it from SOR or MAF....I am pretty sure that they ended up just getting the conversion pieces from SOR...

Thread on above

Why, will the split TC for the H41 be something special?

How many known good split transfer cases do you have sitting around?

If you remove the parts from the one currently behind the H41 that you want to sell, what are you going to replace that with?

Swapping the main shaft, after the transfer case is split apart, is really just a matter of removing the snap ring that retains the front drive coupler gear, and then un-stacking the gears from the main shaft, and then removing the rear bearing and sliding the low speed gear off the shaft.

You then need to verify that your main shaft bearing pre load is correct, and put things back together for good.

How many known good split transfer cases do you have sitting around?
Just the one on the H41. I would be looking to source another TC, likely a standard late model FJ60 USA spec split TC.

If you remove the parts from the one currently behind the H41 that you want to sell, what are you going to replace that with?
Plan was as above: USA split TC

Swapping the main shaft, ...
Looks to be $170 (plus some small parts) instead of $460 for the SOR kit... and the work would be the same yes?

Then I will source a "regular" case for the H41 and keep my parking brake equipped case for my H55 install... any issues with that plan? (There is an ongoing thread of mine in the 60 Tech regarding the split TC variants...)

Then I will source a "regular" case for the H41 and keep my parking brake equipped case for my H55 install... any issues with that plan? (There is an ongoing thread of mine in the 60 Tech regarding the split TC variants...)

Should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom