Odd GX460 issue, HALP!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AlV

Threads
Anyone ever have ECU issues on a GX460?
This whole debocle started a week ago when I started the truck after driving perfectly fine all day, and got a flashing 4-low light check engine and stability control off light on the dash. Drove it home, 3 blocks and it was bogging and running rough, almost like in a limp mode.
Took into Lexus dealer the next day and they found P0977 code, “shift solenoid b circuit high”. They traced it to a bad pin and repaired it. They also did SAIP recall while there and told me I have a t-case input shaft seal and front pinion seal leak, but not serious enough to address yet.
Picked up the car, drove it for 2 days, and then while driving, same lights and odd driving happened again. Take it back to dealer and turn it off. They turn it back on and no lights or codes. I leave it there for a few days. And today I get a call saying that they think it may need the engine ECU replaced. They’ve already opened a case with Lexus corporate and have someone helping them trouble shoot the issue.
It’s a 2011 GX460 with 85k miles. I’ve owned it for a little over a year and has a good service history without any standout issues. Recently did a fluid exchange on all the fluids. What the heck is going on here? Any advice or input is appreciated.

Wonder if vehicle ever got affected by water intrusion via sunroof or bad windshield seal? Water can then get into various ECUs.

ECU replacement is part of the FSM flowchart

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.27.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.30.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.31.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.31.17 AM.png

How old is the battery? My 100 did some odd things when it’s battery was ify. Acrad is prob more on point than me, and I’m sure the dealer would of checked the battery.

OEM windshield? Water can enter from a poorly installed windshield and wreak havoc with ECU's. My 4Runner was also flaky with a weak battery. Did they shed any light on "why" they were leaning towards ECU? That's usually a very pricey repair, and you're well past any warranty, even with them "opening a case".

Battery is always the first thing to check in more modern electronics-laden vehicles. If it's older than 3/4 years, you should have the battery health checked first and triage from there. Sometimes the easiest thing is actually the problem, especially when there are multiple systems s***ting bricks simultaneously

As above, make sure the battery and alternator are working properly before going down the rabbit hole.

Anyone ever have ECU issues on a GX460?
This whole debocle started a week ago when I started the truck after driving perfectly fine all day, and got a flashing 4-low light check engine and stability control off light on the dash. Drove it home, 3 blocks and it was bogging and running rough, almost like in a limp mode.
Took into Lexus dealer the next day and they found P0977 code, “shift solenoid b circuit high”. They traced it to a bad pin and repaired it. They also did SAIP recall while there and told me I have a t-case input shaft seal and front pinion seal leak, but not serious enough to address yet.
Picked up the car, drove it for 2 days, and then while driving, same lights and odd driving happened again. Take it back to dealer and turn it off. They turn it back on and no lights or codes. I leave it there for a few days. And today I get a call saying that they think it may need the engine ECU replaced. They’ve already opened a case with Lexus corporate and have someone helping them trouble shoot the issue.
It’s a 2011 GX460 with 85k miles. I’ve owned it for a little over a year and has a good service history without any standout issues. Recently did a fluid exchange on all the fluids. What the heck is going on here? Any advice or input is appreciated.
First off, I think you may have an honest dealer! Any dealer/mechanic that says to just keep an "eye on it" is looking out for your best interest and not trying to immediately soak you right away by trying to sell you everything they have in stock to fix the problem.
I almost always see a red flag when a shop says everything they find is a "You gotta do this now or... (fill in the blank) will happen!" But an honest mechanic will tell you "You're coming up on needing (example) brakes are getting thin, so maybe in another 6 months you may want to change them out." or "We'll keep an eye on that slow leak/seep damp spot next time you come in."
I much prefer being forewarned and having a heads-up than being told everything is an emergency has to be done NOW or else!!
But to your point about the ECU, apologies I can't help with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom