October ROTM - Casner Trail & Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Camping weather for sure this next weekend, highs in the 60's and lows in the 30's. Might be a bit windy but still early to tell.

I know several of us are heading up Friday afternoon and camping two nights, looking forward to hanging out.

Camping weather for sure this next weekend, highs in the 60's and lows in the 30's. Might be a bit windy but still early to tell.

I know several of us are heading up Friday afternoon and camping two nights, looking forward to hanging out.

Really looking forward to this. Graham and I are heading up sometime after noon on Friday. Want to get there before his dinner time.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one. Just got back from vacation and too much to do in the next few weeks.

Folks,

Bad news. Our builder is really bending us over and our 2nd rental where we could have our dogs with us fell through.

So cancel me for the run. We might camp with the group and bring the dogs, 2 Border collies. However we are leaning towards solo camping this weekend because it will probably make things easier.

The entire thing is upsetting. We won’t be moving in until a day before they are in breach of contract in November.

Our dogs have to stay in boarding because we can’t have them at a friends place where we are staying.

Anyway, not any of the fine CSC folks problem but it is screwing us royally with additional costs and inconvenience.

Have fun on the trail and will let you know by Wednesday if we are going to camp with you.

Thanks for fitting me in.
Chris and Annette.

Meeting place: Safeway on Highway 89 in Sedona (2300 West Highway 89A, Sedona, AZ 86336)
Meeting time: 9:00am
Departure time: 9:30am

We will not air-down at Safeway, but somewhere on FR 525.

Casner is essentially a rough power line road that climbs Casner Mountain from near Sycamore Pass, southwest of Sedona, to the top of the Mogollon Rim south of Flagstaff. It is a unique access area because it bisects the Sycamore and Secret Canyon Wilderness areas, which are at times less than 50' apart. The road offers tremendous red rock views, follows a very narrow ridge at times, and is accessible to vehicles by permit only.

The trip will require a minimum of three vehicles, and a maximum of ten. It is stocker friendly, but includes steep uphill switchbacks, so keep an eye your temperatures. We will most likely stop for lunch somewhere on or above the switchbacks. It should take us about two hours to get to the lunch spot. The entire run, from Safeway to the camping spot takes about five hours, depending on how long we stop for lunch and any side roads we take.

If you get gas in Sedona, I do not suggest you fill your tank completely. The switchbacks are steep and hot, you run the risk of boiling over, or spilling fuel out the filler overflow.

Camping: The campsite is located south of FR 231. There is not a designated road number for the road to the camping spot. The GPS coordinates are: 34.978315, -111.814385. I will post some CSC signs on FR 231 so you can find your way.

*If the camping site is occupied, I will continue farther down (east) on FR 231 until we find an open site. Look for the signs.

Maps attached. We cannot take the Casner trail back to Sedona on Sunday, we have to go out to 89 or I-17.

Attachments

• Sedona to Casner.pdf
    209.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Casner Map to Camp.pdf
    368.2 KB · Views: 83
  • I17 to Camping 1.pdf
    209.6 KB · Views: 86
  • I17 to Camping 2.pdf
    171.2 KB · Views: 104
We have an open space for the run. Let me know if you can make the run, or if someone who is camping only wants to do the run.

Well it appears that I'm not going to make the camping portion of this ROTM. The kid decided to find a date for Homecoming and apparently, taking pics of him and his date for about 30 min before they split are more important than living homeless in the woods for a day or two.. smh...

Well it appears that I'm not going to make the camping portion of this ROTM. The kid decided to find a date for Homecoming and apparently, taking pics of him and his date for about 30 min before they split are more important than living homeless in the woods for a day or two.. smh...

These kids need to get there priorities in order. When I was a kid we would walk 200 miles, uphill, naked in the snow to live homeless in the woods.

If he has TOO good of a time he might be doing full time without a choice. Make sure you buy him a rain coat......or two (he is young):grinpimp:

If he has TOO good of a time he might be doing full time without a choice. Make sure you buy him a rain coat......or two (he is young):grinpimp:

HAHA.. I'll make sure to put a couple, 3 or 4 "RAIN COATS" in his pocket.. :poof:

Folks,

Bad news. Our builder is really bending us over and our 2nd rental where we could have our dogs with us fell through.

So cancel me for the run. We might camp with the group and bring the dogs, 2 Border collies. However we are leaning towards solo camping this weekend because it will probably make things easier.

The entire thing is upsetting. We won’t be moving in until a day before they are in breach of contract in November.

Our dogs have to stay in boarding because we can’t have them at a friends place where we are staying.

Anyway, not any of the fine CSC folks problem but it is screwing us royally with additional costs and inconvenience.

Have fun on the trail and will let you know by Wednesday if we are going to camp with you.

Thanks for fitting me in.
Chris and Annette.

Good luck with that Chris. Stories like this make me happy that the houses I have bought over the decades have all been previously loved. Hope it all works out for you two and the lawyers don't need to get involved.

We're going to have to drop out. We can only make a day trip and it just too much car time for the little man with the drive up, trail, and drive home.. about 11-12 hours. Sorry for the late notice, we were trying to make it work.

We're going to have to drop out. We can only make a day trip and it just too much car time for the little man with the drive up, trail, and drive home.. about 11-12 hours. Sorry for the late notice, we were trying to make it work.

Sorry to hear that. Totally understand if you can only make a day trip.

I believe we are camping Sat night with kids, going up the trail. @Clunky @Pitch or others taking I-17/231 to camp Sat morning? We have some good friends with kids want to try and join in full size pickup. Hoping they could caravan with others from I-17.

I will probably come down (from Flagstaff) on Saturday afternoon, and camp overnight. I would be happy to lead others down, but not in the am.

I believe we are camping Sat night with kids, going up the trail. @Clunky @Pitch or others taking I-17/231 to camp Sat morning? We have some good friends with kids want to try and join in full size pickup. Hoping they could caravan with others from I-17.

I'm going to be a game time decision, so I can't commit to a caravan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom