o.e.m. seat covers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to put new vinyl in my 79 fj40 and have been shopping for a while and thought i'd see what you guys think. I had been leaning towards a complete set of fronts and rears from ccot. They are maybe a little more money than s.o.r. but they look a little better on the web site (or maybe its something else on the web site that cathes my eye).
But day before yesterday I noticed a cruiser on ebay owned by the guy who built the "Zebronator". Some of you guys know who I'm talking about. Anyway, I noticed that he was in the dallas area and of course used ccot restoration sheet metal, but used s.o.r. upholstery. Does any one have any pros or cons comments?

I am making some for the 79-84 that is going to match the door panels (new) in gray. The color is an exact match, but I am having a hard time finding the correct color in the heavy grain face that the 79 -84 have. If you dont need them now I will have a cool set in a few weeks.

Need anything else let me know, Shane aatlas1x@aol.com

sear covers 79-84

that sounds like just what i'm looking for. what kind of price are we talking?

I do not know yet, I am sure it will be less that the CCOT. I am going after quality, color and texture! EVERYONES is smooth vinyl and I have purchased them all. I want textured face like original and smooth sides and back. I will also be doing the jump seats to match.

Best,

Shane

seatsq

Shane- when you match the OEM front set, please let me know. I want set number 2. I will recover the seats I just recovered to match my jump seats. I can tell the difference in the seats and it bugs me. Make sure you put me down for the first order. You're parts are beyond belief. So what (beyond being OCD) is the key with your heaters, badges, stickers. I mean what gives in trying to be better than Jonathan Ward or Marv Specter?

Aaron

RIDDLER said:
Shane- when you match the OEM front set, please let me know. I want set number 2. I will recover the seats I just recovered to match my jump seats. I can tell the difference in the seats and it bugs me. Make sure you put me down for the first order. You're parts are beyond belief. So what (beyond being OCD) is the key with your heaters, badges, stickers. I mean what gives in trying to be better than Jonathan Ward or Marv Specter?

Aaron
:grinpimp:

Shane,
What was the original color (grey or black) for 76? Do you make these as well? If so, maybe interested in two complete sets. How much?

Thanks in advance.

Renoron said:
Shane,
What was the original color (grey or black) for 76? Do you make these as well? If so, maybe interested in two complete sets. How much?

Thanks in advance.

From the sets I have for patterns they are a funky bronze grey. I have never seen black covers in buckets.

These pics are a 58k mile 78 with original seats. The color is hard to make out, but the color match is called bronze and has the same high sheen.

No prices yet......Sorry
seats1.jpg
seats.jpg

I have an '82 that is in need of front seat covers as well. Keep me posted on availability and price when the time comes. Thanks

Yes please keep us all posted on your progress here

yes there were black buckets, the 1st year of the bucket seats(whats that 73?) thru around 76 or so, I'd have to dig out my old lit to be sure of the years.

I bought the last OEM 82 fj40 lower DS seat cover......just saving it for a rainy day ;)

AATLAS1X said:
From the sets I have for patterns they are a funky bronze grey. I have never seen black covers in buckets.

These pics are a 58k mile 78 with original seats. The color is hard to make out, but the color match is called bronze and has the same high sheen.

No prices yet......Sorry

Give me a day or so and I may be able to cut off a few samples from my '82 seats. How much material do you need?

RumBum said:
Give me a day or so and I may be able to cut off a few samples from my '82 seats. How much material do you need?

Only if they are not usable please, I got lucky with the 78 color, but he says he will have a match for me in texture.

3x3 of seat face and 3x3 seat side. If they are mostly complete take a piece from center of an open space just incase patterns would be made from them.

I dont have a day off till next Tuesday to make the drive again.

Shane

Shane,
I have the samples you need. Where do you want me to send them?

LandPimp said:
yes there were black buckets...

John,
Would my '77 have black seats as stock? The manufacture date is 10/76.

Thanks,

not sure on the year they changed, I know there was black buckets though, just can't remember what years

Doug_S said:
John,
Would my '77 have black seats as stock? The manufacture date is 10/76.

Thanks,

Both my '76 and '77 had black (or so dark a gray that it looked black to these tired old eyes) buckets. I think the gray gray came in '79. All the replacement upholstery kits for the "black" ones that I've seen are a darker gray than the '79 and up gray but not as dark as the black or very dark gray on my '76 and '77. i.e. a little lighter than the door panels, but it sure doesn't matter to me. One of the best investments I made was a reupholsery kit I got from a place called Sew Unique, an upholstery shop specializing in boats in Tenn that had both buckets and rear jumps for something like $250 (this about 3 or 4 years ago). They went out of business, or at least Land Cruiser kits, not long after I bought their kit.. Easy to install, pretty tough marine vinyl (been in the rain and mud more than once and still look great). I wouldn't doubt if CCOT and SOR are selling kits made the same place and most if not all the other vendors too....just my hunch.
Pete

orig.jpg

pics of factory 74-1/79 vinyl, new viny (what everything is laying on), black leather swatch and black plastic gun......It is NOT black for these years per www.sor.com and Toyota. Now I am sure that some have been replaced and Toyota did what they wanted, but this is what I know as of now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom