North Van Ham course (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If anyone's interested, the North Van Amateur radio Club is doing the Basic course in January. Saturday mornings from January 14-Feb 25, includes the test.

North Shore Amateur Radio Club

and scroll down to "courses"

To keep the idiots off the radio and to retain a professional decorum on the airwaves. It's pretty cool talking to someone in Hawaii or Australia, being part of a society... some of whom are older and are pretty excited that a new generation is carrying on. When the world goes for crap, Ham radio will be revered.

cruiserham. yes do not get it myself , but i dont even have a walkie talkie ,and never get cell service when im out and about. thinking about chipping my serious radio to the 2 way comunicatian upgrade

To keep the idiots off the radio and to retain a professional decorum on the airwaves.

They should make the drivers test more like the ham radio test too then, wait they should make a dirt bike course manditory to keep idiots off the trails too, wait, they should make a life course to keep the idiots locked up in their houses and keep them off our streets and backcountry! Would be a much better world all together. :hillbilly:

They should make the drivers test more like the ham radio test too then, wait they should make a dirt bike course manditory to keep idiots off the trails too, wait, they should make a life course to keep the idiots locked up in their houses and keep them off our streets and backcountry! Would be a much better world all together. :hillbilly:

I right with you until i think of the folks that get to define 'idiot' and then i am entirely against it.

Just shoot me first. Did the online test and what a bunch of electric nerd speak. Why the hell do you have to know about sunspots, weather patterns, and a whole lotta electric mumbo jumbo just to talk on a freakin' radio?

So you're not putting up your hand then? :lol::lol:

One reason you need to know that stuff (more for HF) as your signal can possibly be heard around the world. That stuff helps you understand how it gets there.

I do think that the test should focus more on being a good operator and less on the heavy electronics/tech stuff. It seems to be a remnant from a bygone era.
To be honest, I'm sure I've forgotten 95% of what I learned, but at the time I found it quite interesting. I may go take the course and try to get it to sink in more...

.. but probably not :D

Norm, let me know if you hear about a Fri/Sat/Sun course at one of the LM clubs. Having to work weekends and evenings makes it hard to do a course spread over a month or longer. I ended up having to miss about 1/2 of the Surrey club's course.

As for the tech stuff, yes it is a pita to remember but interesting to learn.

I don't go on BC4x4 much anymore, but it appears you just missed a 2 day course in Chilliwack this weekend.
Guy says they'll do another if there's interest, so post up over here:

Why You Need a Ham (VHF) Radio

How'd you do Kim?

I'm betting that everyone got flying colours at the Chilliwack course. How did you do Kim and what were your 3 call sign picks?

Last edited:
I did very well. Those guys sure know how to teach a course. :D

My 3 picks were VA7KMR, VA7KDR and VA7KKR

I just posted on BC4x4 about the weekend course, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I wonder if VA7DER is available... I'm studying mine and have read the study guide twice and still get about 97% wrong

I don't go on BC4x4 much anymore, but it appears you just missed a 2 day course in Chilliwack this weekend.
Guy says they'll do another if there's interest, so post up over here:

Why You Need a Ham (VHF) Radio

Three up now. I bet if we could get a few more we could do the course in November and I might actually be able to take a whole course and get my license.

I was hoping for VA7CL. Just like how Victor Alpha Seven Charlie Lima rolls off the tongue. I guess Victor Alpha Seven Charlie Lima Whiskey will have to do. Any call sign that ends in Whiskey can't be all that bad. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom