Noob: Soon to be owner of GX470 joining forum from San Diego, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Assuming there are no issues found during the PPI I am having performed on a GX470, I will be a "new" owner of a 2007 GX470.
GX470.jpg

I'm a former Jeep Wrangler owner and SDSJ club member. Great club with nice and really helpful people that have various level of Jeep Wrangler and wheeling obsession.
Psgr side.jpg

For many years I've been thinking about restoring an old LR Defender and more recently a Landcruiser, as I lived in Europe for a number of years and also travel quite a bit all over Europe, Asia incld AUS and NZ where the Defender and Landcruiser (less so) are fixtures in the countryside and farms/stations. I originally bought the Jeep because I didn't think an old school Defender or Landcruiser was going to be possible. I don't know why I wasn't previously aware of the GX 470 platform, but over my last few trips to AUS (country that is crazy of 4x4s), I started noticing the Prado. After some research and discussion with my Aussie buddies, I decided to sell the Jeep and dive head first into a GX, particularly from the older GX platform.

I'm a little apprehensive about the poor gas mileage, particularly in these times of unnecessarily inflated prices, but really looking forward to augmenting the platform with a few choice mods and using it's capabilities. Also looking forward to learning from and contributing to this community based on experience with cars, motorsports, outdoors, etc.

I'm in San Diego so if there are GXOR members in the nearby areas (SD, OC, Temecula, RS, etc) please reach out, would be great to talk "shop" and know a few people around town with similar interest/s.

Is there a GXOR, Lexus/Toyota OR Entusiast wave I should know about? I'd hate to be rude, if someone in a GXOR or Toyota OR vehicle waves at me and I don't respond with the official wave :).

Welcome…nice looking GX.
No official wave that I’m aware of…maybe that’s a Jeep Thing?
Enjoy your new rig.

Welcome…nice looking GX.
No official wave that I’m aware of…maybe that’s a Jeep Thing?
Enjoy your new rig.

Definitely a Jeep thing, but only Wrangle owners. I think to show solidarity and comradeship amongst enthusiast owners of vehicles with special “particularities” such as incredible OR capability, tweakable platform and poor gas mileage 😁. More importantly, generally unconditional commitment to help other OR-sets in need. In any case thanks for the welcome. I should know today if I’m going to officially be a GX470 owner.

Hi all,
Assuming there are no issues found during the PPI I am having performed on a GX470, I will be a "new" owner of a 2007 GX470.
View attachment 3080362

I'm a former Jeep Wrangler owner and SDSJ club member. Great club with nice and really helpful people that have various level of Jeep Wrangler and wheeling obsession. View attachment 3080360

For many years I've been thinking about restoring an old LR Defender and more recently a Landcruiser, as I lived in Europe for a number of years and also travel quite a bit all over Europe, Asia incld AUS and NZ where the Defender and Landcruiser (less so) are fixtures in the countryside and farms/stations. I originally bought the Jeep because I didn't think an old school Defender or Landcruiser was going to be possible. I don't know why I wasn't previously aware of the GX 470 platform, but over my last few trips to AUS (country that is crazy of 4x4s), I started noticing the Prado. After some research and discussion with my Aussie buddies, I decided to sell the Jeep and dive head first into a GX, particularly from the older GX platform.

I'm a little apprehensive about the poor gas mileage, particularly in these times of unnecessarily inflated prices, but really looking forward to augmenting the platform with a few choice mods and using it's capabilities. Also looking forward to learning from and contributing to this community based on experience with cars, motorsports, outdoors, etc.

I'm in San Diego so if there are GXOR members in the nearby areas (SD, OC, Temecula, RS, etc) please reach out, would be great to talk "shop" and know a few people around town with similar interest/s.

Is there a GXOR, Lexus/Toyota OR Entusiast wave I should know about? I'd hate to be rude, if someone in a GXOR or Toyota OR vehicle waves at me and I don't respond with the official wave :).

The official GX wave is literally just a simple hand wave. Seriously, nothing special other than the rig. Welcome to the club. Don’t worry about the gas guzzling, the immensity of the reliability and very low running cost will offset it. If everything is sorted and the timing/water pump and fluid flushes were recently done you’ll have 10,000s or 100,000s trouble free miles before needing that sort of attention. I do recommend upgrading the brakes to heavier duty rotors and pads ASAP. These are heavy with slightly undersized brakes. I had an ‘08 I sold and still have my ‘10. These are superb lifetime vehicles, you’ll love it.

I think the engine and the transmission are superbly reliable, but age and off-roading exploration are stating to drive repair and maintenance costs on mine. I have 2003 and it will be 20 years old in March 2023 when I celebrate 6 years of ownership

And thise costs do not include all the functional and optional cosmetic upgrades I’ve done.

If you can fix some issues and do some maintenance yourself, you will save on labor costs.

Fortunately, my engine and transmission sound smooth and you wouldn’t think it’s almost 20 years old.

Last edited:
Fortunately, my engine and transmission sound smooth and you wouldn’t think it’s almost 20 years old.
95% of the GXs of any age and mileage are like that. It’s an amazing thing. My ‘08 I sold in January with 183k miles and my current ‘10 with 158k miles feel and run new

GX470 newbie as well, former LX/80 series owner. Got mine from Miramar as well, great experience ,IMHO. any fellow GX owners in Rocklin,Ca area?

How was your buying experience with Miramar? I’m looking at a Gx there and any info would be great.
Miramar is pretty good. Personable people and they seem to have a good selection of vehicles. Only issue Ive had is the dang phone / BT app disappearing from the Nav sys but I honestly don't think they had anything to do with it. When I initially checked out the car, it didn't have TPMS working, but when I went to pick it up, they had TPMS working again. I doubt getting TPMS working somehow affected the Phone/BT functionality in the Nav system, but really strange that there is no phone icon on the Nav system any longer. The Lexus dealer that performed the PPI told me they've never seen that before, but I'm not to impressed with them so I'm going to try asking another dealer or Lexus HQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom