Noisy GMRS while moving (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy and I have bought and installed some Midland micro mobile units. He has the MXT115 and I have the MXT275. Basically just small 15w transceivers. The issue is when we are on the move, the conversation is almost unintelligible, but when going slow or stopped it's crystal clear. Btw, we tried some little handhelds, and while a little better, still got noisy while going down the road.

It's not alternator whine, it's just a bunch of static and crackle or the picket fencing or both. We both have the little 3dB stubbies, so I bought a Nagoya mag whip to see if it would clean up the signal. It made no change.

I have a Ham license and used to have a 2M mobile I used back in the day. It was a cheap Kenwood unit running off a cigarette lighter and whip on top, and it was crystal clear all the time.

So is GMRS just bad for comms while on the move, or do I need to change my setup? We have a 3 week trip coming up, so figuring this out would be really nice.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

How are you powering the device? Are you off the lighter adapter or straight to the battery for both positive and ground? That might make a difference on what interference you are picking up. Another option is a chuck on the power which might help eliminate other signals coming in. GMRS does not have the same wave pattern as say 2m or 70cm and is very much effected by concrete and structures around it. Have you tried using it in a more open environment vs an urban environment? You could be picking up a lot of bounce off other objects or as you noted the picket fencing. Just a few things to try out.

A buddy and I have bought and installed some Midland micro mobile units. He has the MXT115 and I have the MXT275. Basically just small 15w transceivers. The issue is when we are on the move, the conversation is almost unintelligible, but when going slow or stopped it's crystal clear. Btw, we tried some little handhelds, and while a little better, still got noisy while going down the road.

It's not alternator whine, it's just a bunch of static and crackle or the picket fencing or both. We both have the little 3dB stubbies, so I bought a Nagoya mag whip to see if it would clean up the signal. It made no change.

I have a Ham license and used to have a 2M mobile I used back in the day. It was a cheap Kenwood unit running off a cigarette lighter and whip on top, and it was crystal clear all the time.

So is GMRS just bad for comms while on the move, or do I need to change my setup? We have a 3 week trip coming up, so figuring this out would be really nice.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
GMRS is very similar to 70cm. I use GMRS in my Jeep and it works just as good as my 2m/70cm radio. It sounds like you have some noise from the vehicle. I had an older BMW and I ended up giving up on putting a radio in it because I could never get rid of the noise. What are you driving?

Check your antenna and make sure they are completely compatible. Power source independent of any other devices. Squelch???

I've had poor antenna connections make noise when moving. Radio is fine while stopped then, antenna starts to vibrate when moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom