No Spark Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ORIGINAL POST:
My 97 Land Cruiser died on the road yesterday and sitting in a Wataburger parking lot. Will check it out this morning.
1. Turns Over
2. No Spark
3. When key is turned on CHECK ENGINE LIGHT does not come on
4. Will not shift out of park with key on and foot on brake (plan to check neutral switch)

Also the orange light above the volt meter came on for about 10 miles before car died it still shows when the key is turned. No sure if related to the no spark problem
Battery is still strong enough to spin motor fast but jumped it also to be sure it was not the problem
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- - - --

UPDATE:
Checked fuses and fusible link, checked OK

I attached a remote code reader, and get error message "NO CABLE CONNECTION" so it is unable to read any codes I'm guessing no power is going to the ECM. To make sure the reader was working I attached to a different vehicle and the reader works

I have checked all the fuses but not sure which relay to check, is their another relay on the vehicle that can be swapped?

When key is turned on NONE of the dash message lights including CHECK ENGINE LIGHT come on

Thanks for the help again

George

3. When key is turned on CHECK ENGINE LIGHT does not come on
When key is turned on NONE of the dash message lights including CHECK ENGINE LIGHT come on

^^^These equal this. >>>

... I'm guessing no power is going to the ECM. ...

Do you have power at the B+ terminal of diagnostic connector (right side firewall)? If not, is there power at the single wire connector by the distributor, big yellow/red wire?

The EFI relay is in the under hood fuse box, remove it, should have power at terminal #2. Can jumper #2 to #4, with this in place, should have CEL lit with the key on, if so the relay is bad. The same type of relay is used in other places, windows, etc.

The EFI relay is in the under hood fuse box, remove it, should have power at terminal #2. Can jumper #2 to #4, with this in place, should have CEL lit with the key on, if so the relay is bad. The same type of relay is used in other places, windows, etc.

The driver-side kick panel has a few of them, although that area isn't labeled (on my 91). The FSM has a diagram of which relay is which, never hurts to pull one and give it a test.

Thank you for the help, swapped out the EFI relay but still no CEL light

1. Pulled the EFI relay and jumped #2 and #4 and got the CEL light to come on when the ignition switch was turned on, turned over but no start.
2. I have 12v at the B+ exposed screw in the engine compartment fuse box
3. I have 12v at the single wire connector by the distributor, big yellow/red wire
4. I do not believe the fuel pump is coming on, removed the fuel bypass hose with key on, no fuel
5. Transmission will NOT come out of park, with key on and CEL light on, could be an important clue ??

Nothing will come out of the fuel return hose with the ignition on, landcruisers only pump fuel when the engine is turning over. I made the same mistake thinking it should prime when you turn the key but a lot of toyotas dont.

"Do you have power at the B+ terminal of diagnostic connector *yes*(right side firewall)? If not, is there power at the single wire connector by the distributor, big yellow/red wire? " *yes*

"The EFI relay is in the under hood fuse box, remove it, should have power at terminal #2. Can jumper #2 to #4, with this in place, should have CEL lit with the key on, if so the relay is bad. The same type of relay is used in other places, windows, etc."

I have done the above tests
1. Jumped #2 and #4 terminal and CEL light came on, stater still spins motor but does not start
2. Installed new EFI relay CEL light does not come on and car still will not start
It seems the circuit that energizes the EFI relay is not getting power

Thank you

Have you replaced the fusible link bundle (attached to the positive battery post)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom