No Brakes!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading all these posts is making me leary of owning a Land Cruiser. They seem to have a lot of electrical failures that when they fail can be dangerous. When the TPS goes you lose throttle without any warning. Now I'm reading about a master cylinder failing that could leave you without brakes! What happened to redundant braking systems? I thought almost all vehicles had that. I know the UZJ faithful will be upset, but anyone interested in a 99 Land Cruiser with 65k?

calamaridog said:
Find out what the price breakdown is before you do anything else. I bet you can save some major $$ by ordering the parts and shipping them to him if he is overcharging the parts.

For the whole assembly including the Master, accumulator, and pump, you are looking at $1419.36 from Conicelli Toyota (for example).

Why he started with rotors and pads I can't imagine other than they needed to be replaced badly? I just had my SP slotted rotors and Hawk hi performance pads installed plus wheel bearings inspected and repacked for $250 labor and $250 parts.

Is $2800 the total cost for everything including the rotors and pads, and master/pump installed and all buttoned up? I could ALMOST see it costing that much TOTAL on a bad day:rolleyes:

yes thats the total for the pads only (rotors were only turned) the whole master cylinder assembly and labor!

i have decided to tackle the job myself i'll be ordering the part from https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html for $1310.18 and save me over $1000.00 and will have the priceless glory of knowing I did it myself!!! i will post pics as i do the job! Thanks for the Help, much appreciated!

I don't have tools to lend you since I'm in San Diego but I have the FSM. If you need me to scan some stuff, let me know.

"Bad azz Cruiser i have decided to tackle the job myself "

That is the what makes the forum stronger! Hey you can't (usually) mess it up worse, and the thread the pics and what you learn will prove very valuable for others down the road. I hope that it goes well!

Collective knowledge is a good thing!

ff347 said:
"Bad azz Cruiser i have decided to tackle the job myself "

That is the what makes the forum stronger! Hey you can't (usually) mess it up worse, and the thread the pics and what you learn will prove very valuable for others down the road. I hope that it goes well!

Collective knowledge is a good thing!

you are so right!! this forum you could say gave me the confidence to do the job!! I'll post a write up on the job and some pics Thanks to all I'll keep you posted!

smart man doing it yourself. My car pictured in my avatar pic has a similar brake system, no vacuum because lack of it during boost.

I had to do that swap myself, mostly because of cost, and even never doing it before it wasn't bad at all, might help to have a 2nd person for part of it as you bolt it into place and a few #6's couldn't hurt either.

good luck.

snap a few photos if you have time.

rule303 said:
Reading all these posts is making me leary of owning a Land Cruiser. They seem to have a lot of electrical failures that when they fail can be dangerous. When the TPS goes you lose throttle without any warning. Now I'm reading about a master cylinder failing that could leave you without brakes! What happened to redundant braking systems? I thought almost all vehicles had that. I know the UZJ faithful will be upset, but anyone interested in a 99 Land Cruiser with 65k?
Yes. Me, if it has a rear locker. I'm glad I have thse newer designs in my 2001. While repairs might get expensive, the systems improve the vehicle greatly IMO. $$$? Color? Smoker? I want a 99-00 100 NOW so I can park my 01 investment. :)

99 silver with rear locker. Just had the 60k service plus some other things. New fan belt. Almost new Michelin tires. No dings whatsoever. Runs perfectly.
Looks like it's about two years old. It did have the TPS failure once, but that hasn't returned. Non- smoker. New alternator. Overall a very clean vehicle. My wife is driving it 90% of the time and frankly she doesn't really appreciate it so I'm going to sell it and get her a crappy minivan and I'm going to get back into old Porsches like I used to have before marriage and kids. For all she cares it could be an Explorer so its really wasted on her. I only bought it a few months ago, and with all the repairs and maintenance I've had done I've got over $26,000 invested. I'd take $22,000 for it. Oh, and the dealer I bought it from had repainted the front and rear bumper covers for some reason. But never wrecked. PM if your'e interested.

Rule, sounds like a decent price for a low mile vehicle. Good luck with the sale and enjoy the old Porsches. I'm fond of the early 70 something 914's myself.

rule303 said:

Rule,
I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, but one or two people are having the issues you refer to in your post above. The 100 is a very dependable vehicle. There are tons of them out there that have zero problems. I wouldn't over-react over a few that have had issues. keep in mind, these are mass-produced vehicles, there will always be a few that have problems. Just my 2 cents.

Not only that, but many people find their way to boards like this one only because they ARE having trouble. The ones who are happily driving their vehicles daily with no problem would never have a reason to show up, unless they are nuts like all of us...

Hence, IMO, the number of problems reported on boards are way out of skew with the "real" failure rates of all the vehicles in service...

You guys are probably right, I'm still on the fence. But its really only a grocery getter for my wife (only 8-10k miles year) and one of the reasons I used to justify buying it for( reliability) has been sorely tested. Its left her on the side of the highway twice in three months, although for minor things breaking. ( TPS and alternator). I'm used to high repair costs having owned 3 vintage Porsches, but a $2000+ brake master cylinder job and a $800 starter job for a Toyota seems absurd. Its not like these are some rare limited production vehicles. They're as common as dirt world wide. I think Toyota gouges a bit on the parts because they know people shelled out $60k for them originally and they can get it. If I really NEEDED a Landcrusier I'd keep it for sure. Its a nice vehicle. But like I said, it could be a KIA for all my wife knows. This is the same lady who once drove my prized 92 Pathfinder around town with the part time 4wd engaged. I asked her why the horrible tire scrubbing and vibration didn't cause her to stop. She said she had never driven a "truck" and she thought all trucks must drive that way! To her its all about size and cup holders. She thought our Expedition drove OK and that thing was a death trap. Talk about bad handling. So I'm really warming up to the idea of putting her in a nice used boring vehicle and using the difference to buy that mint black 1986 944 Turbo with 300 HP. After all, she can't complain about me buying a 20 year old car can she?

So, you had your eye on that one at RennSport too, eh?

Rule, buy the parts from a discount site, or Parts Dan, and save a ton. Find a good independant mechanic and you are set. The cost of these things doesn't have to be so high.

Bad azz - Please get your replaced parts so we can get a thorough post mortem on the broken unit. If there is anything that can be done maintnence or mod wise to improve the life span of these units I am sure folks on this board will be eager to develop and test them.

At very least the unit might provide donor parts to a board member who s unit fails differently and wants to try a DIY fix given the expense of the part.

NMuzj100 said:
Bad azz - Please get your replaced parts so we can get a thorough post mortem on the broken unit. If there is anything that can be done maintnence or mod wise to improve the life span of these units I am sure folks on this board will be eager to develop and test them.

At very least the unit might provide donor parts to a board member who s unit fails differently and wants to try a DIY fix given the expense of the part.

part is on order won't be in till thurs posibly friday will keep you posted on finds and the progress of the job!

Man i mis my cruiser!!! i've been riding my honda enduro motorcycle around and man i miss my cruiser!!!! any way parts on the way!!!

rule303 said:
its really only a grocery getter for my wife... If I really NEEDED a Landcrusier I'd keep it for sure. Its a nice vehicle. But like I said, it could be a KIA for all my wife knows.... So I'm really warming up to the idea of putting her in a nice used boring vehicle and using the difference to buy that mint black 1986 944 Turbo with 300 HP. After all, she can't complain about me buying a 20 year old car can she?

Ahh, gotcha! Now when you put it that way, I don't blame you! If I could talk my wife into a cheaper vehicle so that I could buy a sports car, I'd be all over that too! I just didn't want you to sell because of a few issues. Good luck on your new purchases! :beer:

Mscott, you mean the Rennsport Porsche for sale on Ebay? I wasn't that impressed with that one frankly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom