Newbie help: HJ45 Good deal or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys. Long time listener first time caller. I have owned a number of FJ's (62 x2, 80's ect) and grew up with my Dad's FJ40, but I am looking at a RHD HJ45 diesel. List price is around 20k and it runs, drives, stops and turns. It also is titled and registered in US. Been here for about two years evidently. Guy selling it is super cool, but it looks like foot wheels and a good bit of body pan is shot with rust. Frame looks good and then interior will need to be redone as will a freshen up on the drivetrain. Curious what you guys think in terms of the rust and also what I should be willing to pay?

Pics are attached! Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie.
IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg
John

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Last edited:
What is drawing you to this particular truck? Are you wanting a Troopy or a diesel 40’series?

Buy this one. You will easily be $13,000 getting the rusty one this nice.

Land Cruisers Direct - 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ47 Troopy – Japan
Wow this one looks awesome! Have you used these guys before? Landcruisersdirect that is or are you affiliated in some way? The one you sent looks great and yes I agree it will take atleast another 15-20k to get the other one to this point. Thanks very cool. Are there other importers that are trustworthy? John

I’ve never purchased from Steve at LC Direct but he’s arguably the biggest player in the import market. Great guy from all my interactions and trustworthy.
Wonderful thanks. I already sent him a message :)

Yep, and the H is a slug in a ute, let alone a troopy. The 2H is famous for that good Landcruiser diesel indestructibility.

What kind of a HJ47 could you buy in Australia for $20,000 AUD? Figure the exchange rate would cover most of the import cost. A 83/84 would have a split transfer and almost no mods to install a five speed. Haven't followed the Australian market that close but that the route I would go before buying a HJ45 with the H engine and one piece transfer case.

What kind of a HJ47 could you buy in Australia for $20,000 AUD?

For $20k you could certainly do some damage. You'd be able to find a rust-free original 1984 with discs, a/c and low miles I reckon. Or an older resto in VGC. Something fine that's for sure.

Love me some Aussies but that’s not the place that would be near the top of my list of places to buy a used Cruiser from. Those folks use them up good.
It's true :cry::cry::cry:

Seems like Japan is a good option given some of the reading I have done. Any other advice? Thanks again guys.

Love me some Aussies but that’s not the place that would be near the top of my list of places to buy a used Cruiser from. Those folks use them up good.

Curious where would you want one from? JDM, Europe and Middle East have plenty of rust issues. Lately a few threads on those in the Middle East would scare me away. Those from Central and South America have well documented problems. Canada while close has plenty of rust problems plus besides the BJ40/42s Canada didn't really get much that we didn't. I'll take my almost rust free 65 FJ45LP-B over a later one from Canada. The sheer volume of 4X series imported to Australia increases the chances of finding a descent one. Plus we have some very helpful members in Australia who not the party selling the vehicle so will give you a honest opinion.

Not to touch on a nerve but if I was searching for a non-US RHD truck it would most certainly come from Japan. I’ve seen some with rust but not many. Most have light duty use.

I’ve bought 4 Kai Mini Trucks from Japan and they were nearly perfect

That is not to say there are not acceptions to the rule on used Australian trucks but most there seem to really get used hard. It would not be the top of my list of import countries due to that alone.

No affiliation, etc. but this is at least a LHD...

1982 FJ45 Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy. LHD. 2F Engine

Unless you have a hankerin' for the RHD.

I don't know how long this truck has been listed as I don't frequently look for new projects when I have my hands full with my own.

It definitely needs work.

No affiliation, etc. but this is at least a LHD...

1982 FJ45 Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy. LHD. 2F Engine

Unless you have a hankerin' for the RHD.

I don't know how long this truck has been listed as I don't frequently look for new projects when I have my hands full with my own.

It definitely needs work.

That is way more money than I would spend on a project with that much work. Few things on this one say Middle East. I'm hanging onto a 82 FJ40 tub just in case a Late model RHD happens along. Wouldn't be that hard to convert one to LHD if you already have the parts on hand. Guess I'm been spoiled living in the Southwest to me it's all about rust. Would rather bolt in new running gear than chasing rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom