New Trail-Gear 80 series tube bumpers... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

whatever works for you.

I do not know if I could justify a trail gear rear bumper as it has not swing out for a rear tire or jerry cans. At that point I feel that a different bumper is not only justified but mandatory. The front i could consider the TG and still am, but the rear; my .02 and it's just my 0.02; why spend the 500 when you still have a tire swinging under your frame or have to strap a tire in the trunk. that idea, kills me.

TG rear bumper wasn't my first choice but this is what my rear looked like when I got the truck

For avoiding CHP tickets and give my rear and sides some protection, I had to put something on. Here's what it looks like now. I was expecting it to be pretty shoddy actually so I am surprised it fit pretty good.

TG rear bumper wasn't my first choice but this is what my rear looked like when I got the truck

View attachment 1926045

For avoiding CHP tickets and give my rear and sides some protection, I had to put something on. Here's what it looks like now. I was expecting it to be pretty shoddy actually so I am surprised it fit pretty good.

it's quite nice actually; certainly made sense in your situation.

I like the trail gear bumper. It would be cool to incorporate a skid plate into the the lower section of the bumper where the receiver is. Doing that and top plating up top I think it would look more complete.

That rear bumper though...:confused:
I have to give them credit, with the way the rear of an 80 frame work is to bolt onto with out cutting is difficult.
That bottom tube has to go... but the strength would be lost.
I just keep going back to @Apounder 's bumper... if they made it like this???
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445563850.449698.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445563869.825732.jpg

Anyone makes such bumpers? 👇

Was looking at TG rear bumper but have two issue w/ it, lack of:
1. tow hitch, &
2. swing arm(s) option for spare

Any suggested workaround or options?

That rear bumper though...:confused:
I have to give them credit, with the way the rear of an 80 frame work is to bolt onto with out cutting is difficult.
That bottom tube has to go... but the strength would be lost.
I just keep going back to @Apounder 's bumper... if they made it like this???
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445563850.449698.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445563869.825732.jpg

Anyone makes such bumpers? 👇

Was looking at TG rear bumper but have two issue w/ it, lack of:
1. tow hitch, &
2. swing arm(s) option for spare

Any suggested workaround or options?

The tow hitch is doable - my buddy said, he can cut a square hole in the bumper where the receiver is supposed to stick out and weld it. Probably not good enough for towing but maybe bike racks and lighter loads. The TG literature said something about being compatible with the factory hitch but I forget now. With the 35” tires, the truck is slow as molasses already so I haven’t bothered looking into towing options and besides, that is what I have a 100 series for 😁

The swing out carrier - I’ve been looking at some parts/components. To my mind, if you look at some rear bumpers that sell an add-on swing out, you notice they are flat and make you weld a vertical tube at the corner where the swing out hinges. If you look at our TG bumper, there is already a vertical short tube. I was wondering if there is some sort of splittable race/bearing that can go over it and allows a carrier to be welded or bolt on it (see pic below). I think I found something but haven’t really bothered following up.

1606790097462.png

Tow hitch - was thinking of welding something as well .. not sure about rating though. With regards to speed, should re-gearing solve the issue?

Swing arm - interesting solution you got there, only concerns is weight. Wondering if it's capable enough to hold large wheel with all the bumps we're putting it through

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom