New to me... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang, tough crowd

Fortunately for you, it's just the internets and chances are we are prolly just a bunch of 14 year olds in our parents basements.

Often times I wish I was still a 14 year old in my parents basement with out the interwebs and with alcohol hidden between my mattress and box springs.....not that this happened.

Not sure I want to ask this opinion of a "hater", but, what is it that I will I be doing "again" in a year?

Lifting the body off the frame to replace head gaskets (probably has a cracked head too), oil cooler, high pressure oil pump, disassemble the turbo to clean up the unison ring, replacing another ipr that got destroyed with shrapnel from the high pressure oil pump. Assuming egr was deleted, if not your coolant will be part of your exhaust and lead to another head gasket job and probably heads too.

On the bright side, you can probably get it done for under 4k if you do all the work. But you may want to throw a set of $2200 injectors in while it's apart. And a ficm

Kind of what I did for the last four years. Regular 6.0 maintenance.

Last edited:
Lifting the body off the frame to replace head gaskets (probably has a cracked head too), oil cooler, high pressure oil pump, disassemble the turbo to clean up the unison ring, replacing another ipr that got destroyed with shrapnel from the high pressure oil pump. Assuming egr was deleted, if not your coolant will be part of your exhaust and lead to another head gasket job and probably heads too.

On the bright side, you can probably get it done for under 4k if you do all the work.

Yea that whole body off frame is a brilliant design, same is true for some of the SD Ford trucks, like the one I just got rid of, although it never gave me any problems. Not sure if ford engineers are paid extra for that or just unsupervised tards (sorry if that offends anyone).
So this is a 90k mile truck, that's really had a easy life. I bought it August '16. It's an '05 which had some vital improvements from the failed original release in '03. '04 better than '03 and '05 better than '04. The head gaskets and milling was done when ARP head studs were installed along with the Ford head gaskets. The turbo was replaced with an upgraded '03 turbo for the exact reason you mentioned above. EGR deleted. Blue spring kit installed. Cooler deleted and Bullet Proof oil cooler installed. Injectors were replaced along with injector harness. Other misc things unrelated to the engine also done. With trying to achieve some reliability of these, the regular maintenance is vital because of being a heui fired motor, I don't have issue with regular maintenance. I know a couple guys that own a diesel shop and they gave it complete going through before I purchased.
I wanted something that I can comfortably haul 6-7 people and also be a decent tow vehicle so I landed here.

Hopefully it will be trouble free. Eventually you'll come over to the Patriot side and enjoy the luxuries of the most American built truck like myself :D

Yea that whole body off frame is a brilliant design, same is true for some of the SD Ford trucks, like the one I just got rid of, although it never gave me any problems. Not sure if ford engineers are paid extra for that or just unsupervised tards (sorry if that offends anyone).
So this is a 90k mile truck, that's really had a easy life. I bought it August '16. It's an '05 which had some vital improvements from the failed original release in '03. '04 better than '03 and '05 better than '04. The head gaskets and milling was done when ARP head studs were installed along with the Ford head gaskets. The turbo was replaced with an upgraded '03 turbo for the exact reason you mentioned above. EGR deleted. Blue spring kit installed. Cooler deleted and Bullet Proof oil cooler installed. Injectors were replaced along with injector harness. Other misc things unrelated to the engine also done. With trying to achieve some reliability of these, the regular maintenance is vital because of being a heui fired motor, I don't have issue with regular maintenance. I know a couple guys that own a diesel shop and they gave it complete going through before I purchased.
I wanted something that I can comfortably haul 6-7 people and also be a decent tow vehicle so I landed here.

I'm with Joe, it's a bold move. But finding something to haul that many people and pull a bigger trailer limits you to X's and 2500 Suburbans. Then if you want diesel, you are just down to the X in either 6.0 or 7.3 flavor. Sounds like it's been gone through pretty well though, especially if you trust the shop that did the work on it prior to you purchasing it.

Hopefully it will be trouble free. Eventually you'll come over to the Patriot side and enjoy the luxuries of the most American built truck like myself :D

Im not up to speed on your wheels.
You driving a Tundra?
I don’t know of any pick up that will haul 6-7 peeps like I was needing.
If I were kid less this conversation wouldn’t be happening. Another point for the no kid camp that is common around here.

I'm with Joe, it's a bold move. But finding something to haul that many people and pull a bigger trailer limits you to X's and 2500 Suburbans. Then if you want diesel, you are just down to the X in either 6.0 or 7.3 flavor. Sounds like it's been gone through pretty well though, especially if you trust the shop that did the work on it prior to you purchasing it.

The diesel shop had a lot to do with it actually, these 2 guys are super smart, give good non bias advice on all diesels and I totally trust them. As you know, no diesel in 2500 suburbans and a gasser wasn’t going to cut it. Plus I have a little suburban attitude, my v6 Tacoma will out tow my wife’s 5.3 suburban. Her next will be some form of Yota in a couple years.
I had stock 7.3 X a while back and I wasn’t happy with its towing prowess, felt no different than v10. 6.0 is what it is but it has some balls for sure, it tows great. Sure it’s a risk but I did my Home Work and bought the best one I could find. If it blows up I’ll put a Cummins in it.

Well, you could get a 6.5TD in a suburban, but I am pretty sure that would not be any improvement over a 6.0. And much slower.

The diesel shop had a lot to do with it actually, these 2 guys are super smart, give good non bias advice on all diesels and I totally trust them. As you know, no diesel in 2500 suburbans and a gasser wasn’t going to cut it. Plus I have a little suburban attitude, my v6 Tacoma will out tow my wife’s 5.3 suburban. Her next will be some form of Yota in a couple years.
I had stock 7.3 X a while back and I wasn’t happy with its towing prowess, felt no different than v10. 6.0 is what it is but it has some balls for sure, it tows great. Sure it’s a risk but I did my Home Work and bought the best one I could find. If it blows up I’ll put a Cummins in it.

My friend has had his 6.0 in and out of the shop since summer, it keeps blowing out an oil port plug on the back of the block, only does it under load. He's not happy. It did tow pretty awesome until it hit 100k when the s*** hit the fan and it started falling apart.

Last edited:
My friend has had his 6.0 in and out of the shop since summer, it keeps blowing out an oil poet plug on the back of the block, only does it under load. He's not happy. It did tow pretty awesome until it hit 100k when the s*** hit the fan and it started falling apart.

I'd get rid of it then.

That's what I told him

Or maybe try a different shop, might have the wrong guy working on it.

Or maybe try a different shop, might have the wrong guy working on it.

Meh not my truck, don't care. He's having a kid in a month or so, so I predict gooseneck, wheeler, and tow rig will be sold shortly after.

When he drove to Missouri, was it Flat Nasty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom