New to me: '66 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good Bill. Will be hitting up Rausch October 22-23 if you want to do a shakedown run :)

Very nice work, looks great!

I'm going to be the proud new owner 66 in a few hours.

Good deal! Post some pics. What are your plans for it?

My first plan is to get it running, I did get it to idle but only with the choke fully on...after that I'm hoping just to drive it for a little before doing anything and I'm not sure after that.
If I depress the accelerator nothing squirts, I'll take the carb apart again tomorrow and see if I can find where it's gunked up.

No pictures yet but the previous owner is a mud member, here is a link to his for sale post and there is a link in there to his build thread. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/583784-66-fj40-maryland-7000-a.html

A few updates:

Got my spare tire carrier done. Still want to add fuel can storage. That will have to wait until I get my plasma table setup.
6stc1.jpg

Started working on my half doors. They're done now except for paint. To dark for finished pics.
6dr1.jpg

6dr2.jpg

Got nose guard and stinger from metaltech. Going to install them and the winch this weekend.
6stng1.jpg

Picked up some 35" MT/R w/ Kevlar. Now all I need are for my beadlocks to ship.
6tr1.jpg

6tr2.jpg

My trailer should be ready to pick up next week from Econo-Trailer. I'll be at CMCC running the easy trails. I need to learn how to drive this thing off-road.

I still need to build a skidplate (another project for my plasma table), build some rock sliders and get my cage tied to the frame.

That's it for now.

Bill- the 40 looks great! You have the ssame tires that I am running on my 40 now. Looking forward to wheelign with you next month and getting the first dirt on your rig..........Gary

Thanks Gary! It took me a while to choose those tires. Once they showed up, I was happy with my decision. I only wish I was locked to fully test them out.
My allied beadlocks will be here next week so I'll finally be able to get them mounted. I've got a lot to do in the next few weekends, so I best get at it.
See you at Rausch and look forward to dirtying it up!

Looks great Bill, see you at CMCC.

Thanks Bob. See you there!

I have to finish redoing all my break lines, they are 34 years old and keep blowing out! Wheeled this past weekend in the FJ Cruiser with 2 J**P buddies from work! Had a great time!

The FJ wheels a bit different than the 40 doesn't it. I miss my FJ but can't wait to wheel the 40 in a few weeks. Well, back to getting the winch mounted.

Yes, a bit different, but fun none the less!

Always fun to see what you can do stock!

Well, I got the winch installed along with the the stinger and nose guard.

Also picked up a trailer at Econo-Trailer yesterday. It has an 18' deck (24' total length) open trailer with a 9990# GVW.

Now to get my cage tied to the frame. I cut the mount plates and bushing mounts on my new CNC plasma.

Time to get back to work. Just over 2 weeks to CMCC.

I hear you Gary. Time sure is flying by. I could use more time, but I think it will always be that way. Time to just run it as it is, and go on from there. I guess it'll never really be done.
Well, three tires mounted and two to go. I'm getting really tired of torquing bolts...
Got your 40 ready?

stuff

Yeah Bill you'll be fine, we can give your 40 a good easy shake down run. My 40 is ready- took the top and doors off last week and have been enjoying the old girl once again with just the tube doors. I love wheelign without the top, you will too. Gary

Wheels are done and mounted. Had to do a little grinding to clear the front calipers. Definitely gives it a different look.
bdlok.jpg

Changed the engine, trans and transfer oil tonight too. Diffs tomorrow night.

Bill, Th FJ looks great, you should be very proud of what you have done with this rig. Look forward to wheeling with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom