New to FJ40s, getting a 1969 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like I may be getting a '69 FJ40 soon. It's been sitting for at least a year, but ran then, just hasn't been used or even started since. I have limited wrenching experience - it's been a long time since I worked on cars beyond basic maintenance and repairs, and when I did anything significant it was on old VWs and a Jeep CJ5 I once had - pretty simple stuff. This one needs a fuel tank, and the owner said it "needs brakes," too. So, I'm going to need to haul it home to get started.

Since it won't start, getting it onto a rental trailer seems unlikely, so I'm wondering what my other options, short of having it commercially hauled, are.

Also, is there a repair manual that speaks to "idiots" like me? I got a lot of mileage out of the old John Muir "Idiot" repair book for VWs (I still use it for my '67 Bug), and wondered if there is anything similar for 40s. I need a manual, hopefully with parts info, specs, etc. to help me get going.

I appreciate any help. I've been on yotatech for years -- it's helped me keep my '95 4Runner going -- and everyone there said that this is THE definitive site for Cruisers, so here I am. :cheers:

Good year for a 40. I use to be into VW's back in the day and used the "idiot's Guise" in the beginning also, it was very straight forward. I'm not sure if there is one for 40's, but the factory shop manuals are a must have. These rigs are pretty basic and simple to work on. Enjoy.

Factory manuals are better, but I've managed 20 years with a "Haynes" manual. Cars don't get any more straight forward than a 40. Even swapping discs brakes front and rear was something I was able to figure out... without a manual, and before ih8mud.:D

Will it roll?
Come-a-longs, winches, High-lift jacks can all pull a vehicle onto a trailer. Talk to your local rental shop about options.

How far does it need to go?

I used a Come-a-long and loaded mine on a U-Haul flatbed trailer when I picked it up for the first time. Works good and as long as it rolls it should be no problem. I think the hardest part of the job for me was getting U-Haul to rent me the trailer. U-haul seems to be under the impression that a LandCruiser is bigger than a battleship and they don't think it should be moved on their trailers.

I used a Come-a-long and loaded mine on a U-Haul flatbed trailer when I picked it up for the first time. Works good and as long as it rolls it should be no problem. I think the hardest part of the job for me was getting U-Haul to rent me the trailer. U-haul seems to be under the impression that a LandCruiser is bigger than a battleship and they don't think it should be moved on their trailers.

They are also concerned about what you're towing it with. 4000 lb 40 + 2600 lb trailer + minimal maintenance = ?

U-haul seems to be under the impression that a LandCruiser is bigger than a battleship and they don't think it should be moved on their trailers.

YES, lie to U-haul about what you are transporting! Tell 'em its a VW Bug or something. I picked up a Scout some time ago & rented a trailer from U-haul. The first place I went wouldn't rent me the trailer not because their trailer wasn't big enough to haul the rig, but because my tow rig wasn't big enough. Which was complete bull :censor: . My daily driver is a lifted Ford Excursion that sports a V-10, a 18000 GTW class V hitch, weighs in at over 8,000 lb wet, and is 12 inches longer than a Chevy Suburban. I don't know if I could have a bigger non-commercial rig.

Anyway, at the second place I went to I told 'em I was moving a VW & things went much smoother.

Uhaul can be a funny bunch. I've offended them in the past by wanting to check under the hood of a rented truck before driving it... :D

I guess the didn't want me to see the coolant leaks, oil leaks, and other signs of neglect.

If the tires hold air you should be able to roll it onto a trailer. I was in the same situation when I bought mine. Had to remove all 4 drums and get 2 other guys to help me push it out of a backyard and into the road. Once there we were able to roll it right up onto a uhaul trailer with no problems.

They are also concerned about what you're towing it with. 4000 lb 40 + 2600 lb trailer + minimal maintenance = ?

I was towing with a huge Chevy pickup. It was set up to tow a 36 ft. travel trailer. Took a bit of talking to get them to rent the trailer to me.

Hope the buy and haul go good for you. Enjoy your first 40.... and hey, welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Thanks!

Regarding a manual, I see I can pick up a Haynes cheap, a hard copy. I like to turn pages, mark them up and be able to refer to them away from a computer. I'll look for a hard copy of the Shop Repair Manual, too.

I went by UHaul to look at their trailers. First I looked online, put in what I was hauling and with what, and their website said it would do the job. But after reading some of the comments, if/when I rent the trailer I'll tell them I'm hauling a VW Beetle. ;)

If I use a come along, I'm not sure where I should hook it to the trailer. For that matter, where is the best place to hook up the FJ40?

I was towing with a huge Chevy pickup. It was set up to tow a 36 ft. travel trailer. Took a bit of talking to get them to rent the trailer to me.

Same here. Apparently, a 3/4 ton cummins just barely makes the cut. Nonetheless, it made it from California to Texas just fine.

I've used a come along and attached it to the hook loops on the receiver of the truck (vice the trailer) and the tow hooks on the FJ40. Something solidly attached to the frame is best.:beer:

UPDATE

The Cruiser has Landed. (I know. That's bad. :rolleyes:)

Rented a UHaul trailer late yesterday afternoon. Drove 50 miles to pick it up this morning. Two come alongs, two chains with hooks, 3 hours and a lot of sweat later, it was loaded and ready to roll. These things are HEAVY. It is now at a workshop where I'll be able to wrench on it when time permits. First I have to make it GO, and then I'll make it STOP. I'll have a lot of questions along the way, so I'm sure to be a regular here for many months/years to come.

Cheers!

I picked up my first FJ40 a few months ago as well. It's a 69 too! Lots of fun, lots to do, but definitely love it. Good luck with yours:cheers:

UPDATE

The Cruiser has Landed. (I know. That's bad. :rolleyes:)

Rented a UHaul trailer late yesterday afternoon. Drove 50 miles to pick it up this morning. Two come alongs, two chains with hooks, 3 hours and a lot of sweat later, it was loaded and ready to roll. These things are HEAVY. It is now at a workshop where I'll be able to wrench on it when time permits. First I have to make it GO, and then I'll make it STOP. I'll have a lot of questions along the way, so I'm sure to be a regular here for many months/years to come.

Cheers!

Where are the pics??? :popcorn:

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6687.jpg

I know . . . the bezel. But hey, it's a start!

Looks great:clap: Super clean, very minimal rust, very straight. Even has a winch. Do you have any interior pics yet? Looks like your in Louisiana or somewhere down south. Was it stored in a barn? Here's mine when I brought it home. U-Haul too.
IMG_0872.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find, it's a good looking rig. What are your plans for it? Stock Restoration? RestoMod? Please don't say rock crawler!

Why not start with something quick and simple for your restoration?

Flip the Bezel!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom