New shock/strut suggestions for 2008 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toyota service told me my fronts are leaking. Awesome! Time to replace all four I guess. Any suggestions? I want the height to remain the same. Barely fit in my garage at stock height. Wouldn't be mad if the front leveled out though.

What I found via search is that Bilstein 4600's are a direct fit and will level out the truck when the fronts are on the top setting.

Am I missing any other options for a daily driver? (Minimal off road) Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

I found this very useful in comparing 9 different shocks including Biltstein B6, Tough Dog 41mm, TJM XGS, OME Nitro, and Koni Heavy Track.

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/images/4wd_action_165_tough_dog.pdf

The review is by 4WD Action | Australian 4WD Action. They really like the Tough Dog 41mm foam cell. Koni, Biltstein, and OME all got favorable ratings in many areas as well (Koni's did better in comfort than OME, OME did better in ride control, etc).

None of the fancier bypass shocks (BP51, Icon, King, or Fox) are on the list and no idea the age of the article but it lists the Tough Dog 41mm as the largest bore available, and I know TD has 45mm and 53mm options now so I suspect it's a few years old. Too bad they didn't also rate a set of factory Toyota shocks for comparison :)

My summary is that there are basically 3 levels of shocks/strut options:
  • Cheap, harsh, floaty in the $500. Rancho, TJM, etc. Factory probably fits in this category as well
  • Mid-tier with better control and comfort in the $1000-1500 range. TD, OME Nitro, Koni, etc
  • High performance with virtually unlimited tweaking for maximum comfort and control in the $2500-3500 range. BP51, King, etc.
Edit: With a bit of searching it looks like the article is from 2010.

Last edited:
what about a stock suspension setup from an upgraded/ suspension modified newer LC? I'd think they would sell it to you cheap, if they swapped in a whole new system, and you'd have an OEM setup.

I see them on CL periodically, guys swapped out for big suspension changes and have the old shocks lying around from a basically new truck, boxed in the garage.

If anyone wants a used stock suspension, I will have shocks and springs with 65k miles on them available next week. Free for the taking - just pay for shipping or pick them up in Chicago. Most likely these will go into the dumpster.

I found this very useful in comparing 9 different shocks including Biltstein B6, Tough Dog 41mm, TJM XGS, OME Nitro, and Koni Heavy Track.

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/images/4wd_action_165_tough_dog.pdf

The review is by 4WD Action | Australian 4WD Action. They really like the Tough Dog 41mm foam cell. Koni, Biltstein, and OME all got favorable ratings in many areas as well (Koni's did better in comfort than OME, OME did better in ride control, etc).

None of the fancier bypass shocks (BP51, Icon, King, or Fox) are on the list and no idea the age of the article but it lists the Tough Dog 41mm as the largest bore available, and I know TD has 45mm and 53mm options now so I suspect it's a few years old. Too bad they didn't also rate a set of factory Toyota shocks for comparison :)

My summary is that there are basically 3 levels of shocks/strut options:
  • Cheap, harsh, floaty in the $500. Rancho, TJM, etc. Factory probably fits in this category as well
  • Mid-tier with better control and comfort in the $1000-1500 range. TD, OME Nitro, Koni, etc
  • High performance with virtually unlimited tweaking for maximum comfort and control in the $2500-3500 range. BP51, King, etc.
Edit: With a bit of searching it looks like the article is from 2010.

THANKS FOR THAT DETAILED REPLY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom