New Rims TPMS info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to be buying 17 inch rims for our 15 GX. What is the best way to buy the rims with the TPMS sensors installed already? Looking for reputable place to buy from as I will be buying aftermarket rims, probably Black Rhino rims. Will AutoZone program the sensors or do I need to go to the dealership? :()

Thanks in advance

I believe when I purchased my rims, they just used the sensors from my factory wheels. Shouldn't be an issue or added expense.

May want to throw some new batteries and O-rings in for the heck of it.

I bought my wife new rims for her matrix and used old fashioned valve stems, disassemed the instrument cluster and placed electrical tape over the Led that illuminates the tps light. Everyone was happy. Sold it like that too.

What drives the tps system.... environmental regs?

I guess I should have mentioned that I will be keeping the oem rims w tires as a second set, including the spare.
I will be getting five new rims and tires.

I will get a second set for mud tires too. Will likely get the sensors because of the computer screen in the dash.

I get my Toyota parts here-
Local dealers can't even come close to their prices.

I guess I should have mentioned that I will be keeping the oem rims w tires as a second set, including the spare.
I will be getting five new rims and tires.
With your new rims and tires, are they going to be larger with a suspension lift?
If so, why keep the old wheels/tires? Unless you're a hoarder... or some folks like to keep everything they ever take off for the sake of either bringing back to "stock" or if selling, to offer all the original equipment upon sale.
But to your OP, I'm not sure if you'll have to use OEM TPMS and pay $$$$ or f there is an aftermarket equvilant that will transmit through the GX to display on the dash.
As far as a reputable shop, If you were farther west, generally 4 Wheel Parts off pretty good quality and service, but I don't believe there are any in or near New Jersey. You may just have to Google off road shops and look at reviews. Look for the highest AND most reviews. I never trust a product/company with with 5 stars and only 4 or 5 reviews. I feel they were all reviewed by their family... But a couple of hundred 4 star reviews, I'd trust!

When I bought 5 new tires/wheel for the '11 (ouch)

I bought them from Discount Tire on line

shipped free from PHX store...they installed sensors in the pkg deal

I paid for them of course....:bang:

cO0T8bC.jpg

Damn, just realize I have not updated my location. Now retired and living in eastern TN!!
Already have a Dobinson lift and SPC UCA's. Looking to go to 285 70 17 MT's.

When I bought my rims and tires I bought new sensors that had to be programmed by the tire installers with a tool. I believe if you keep two sets of wheels you will have to have the sensors cloned to the old ones.

I got 2018 4runner pull offs, original owner broke the tires down and kept the 4runner TPS and installed regular valve stems.

New tires will be in next week (Michelin LTX A/T2 285/70R17 for the concrete jungle). Did the IronMan 4x4 2.5" stage 2, I'm very happy with the results. Keeping the 4runner rims..... I pulled from the original 2011 GX460 TPSs from the factory 18"s .. Will they fit the 4runner 17" rims??

Justin

Reactions: r2m
I got 2018 4runner pull offs, original owner broke the tires down and kept the 4runner TPS and installed regular valve stems.

New tires will be in next week (Michelin LTX A/T2 285/70R17 for the concrete jungle). Did the IronMan 4x4 2.5" stage 2, I'm very happy with the results. Keeping the 4runner rims..... I pulled from the original 2011 GX460 TPSs from the factory 18"s .. Will they fit the 4runner 17" rims??

Justin
My guess is probably will fit but batteries are supposed to last 5-10 years and they are 11 years old.

Just a heads-up, I just replaced my TPMS late last year for the first time and my rig is a 2013. So take into consideration putting something that old in your rims and maybe having to pull your wheels in a little while to replace them.
I too looked at replacing the batteries, but they're designed to be R&R single use without the option to replace the batteries. I did find a YouTube of some guy replacing the batteries, but for all the trouble. It involved cracking the case open, pulling the batteries, epoxy the case closed and hope they are water and air tight when your done. I just bit the bullet and had new ones installed.

Order the ones order for your year/model vehicle. Or go to a tire shop and have them install some since they will need to be programmed anyway.

Justin

they will fit. toyota has 2 different tpms types, one for aluminum rims and one for steel wheels the only difference is the stem angle. battery life on the sensors are usually between 8-10 years so it may be worth while to go with new

Cool! Got the Schrader brand from O'Reillys. $50 retail $32 each after fleet owners discount.

if the old sensors are still working they should be able to program the new sensors with the old ids so you wount have to program the sensors to the car

FWIW - I use Denso TPMS sensors, swap wheels between the 14 GX and 07 T4R , uploading the sensor IDs during the swaps.

When I bought my rims and tires I bought new sensors that had to be programmed by the tire installers with a tool. I believe if you keep two sets of wheels you will have to have the sensors cloned to the old ones.
Is that possible? Cloning the sensors.
I am going to get a second set of wheels/tires and was planning on doing it when the OE tires needed to be changed. Just grab the sensors from the old wheels and throw them in the new ones. BUT if the current IDs can be cloned, I could build up the second set of wheels now and just put them on when ready.
Do we know of anyone who has cloned their sensors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom