New radiator sources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HMP

Threads
Where are yall getting a new radiator for your trucks?
Ive got a bit of a leak at the top of mine - someone used some JB Weld or something and tried to patch it up a bit, well, it's weeping out now. Sometimes a lot comes out, sometimes a little. I need a new radiator.
Called 1800Radiator - they said they had nothing.
Checked RockAuto - nothing. (unless Im missing it on there)

1988 FJ62, 3FE engine

I bought the:

No issues yet and installed easy according to my mechanic.

Reactions: HMP
I don't know why CR lists the same radiator for FJ60/FJ62 - it's a CSF radiator and CSF lists different part #s for 60/62 2708 (60) and 2709 (62). I've never had them side x side to see what the difference is, if any, but there have been many threads of people buying rads for '88 FJ62 and getting one that doesn't fit. You might want to do a through search here and find some of those threads to see what the issue was. IIRC it was specific to '88 model year, like something of a transition point mid-year...

Many seem to go for an Aluminum radiator (best is Ron Davis radiators), but my preference is for a heavy duty all brass/copper.

If you use an Alum Rad, be sure and also use a 'Ground Kit' to avoid electrolytic corrosion between Iron block and alum rad.

Last edited:
Some troubles with radiator shipping:

Buyer beware.

I got the CSF 2708 through RockAuto, I don't see one listed for the 2709 as available through them now however. Running it now for about 5 years or so. No issues for me but have seen lots of threads where the CSF doesn't last very long (poor welds, etc.) or gets shipped damaged. A quick google search for the CSF will reveal options for purchasing them. As @Spike Strip points out you will want to get the grounding correct if you go the aluminum route.

Maybe consider supporting a solid mud vendor and go the CityRacer route if sticking with the copper setup. HTH.

Last edited:
I can't say which is better but I have been very pleased with the aluminum radiators from Cruiser Corps. I have them in two 60's for several years and they installed and have performed perfectly. They seem to be fairly priced and are very well made.

My experience trying to purchase copper radiators for other vintage vehicles has not been good, they all seem to be cheaply made junk. I can't speak to the copper options discussed in earlier posts because I have not seen any of them.

I can't say which is better but I have been very pleased with the aluminum radiators from Cruiser Corps. I have them in two 60's for several years and they installed and have performed perfectly. They seem to be fairly priced and are very well made.

My experience trying to purchase copper radiators for other vintage vehicles has not been good, they all seem to be cheaply made junk. I can't speak to the copper options discussed in earlier posts because I have not seen any of them.

So I see that some have a transmission cooler built in - does it use stock lines or do you have to redo the hoses for that?
That's a hundred bucks less than other two options presented, that's cool.

Is the aluminum better than the old style?

Generally, the aluminum cools better than copper. Need more rows in copper to get the same cooling capacity in Aluminum. My copper one does just fine for me in Texas August heat so no problem there. I wouldn't run Aluminum because of the electrolytic corrosion potential @Spike Strip mentioned earlier(just another thing to worry about IMHO), but lots of folks run them without issue. They seem generally better made than the CSF copper stuff which likely contributes to the extra cost but again I have not had any issues with mine yet. Get what you pay for however so it is what it is. Guess it comes down to replace once and pay big on the front end or replace more often and pay less each time. There may be some additional trans cooling benefit between copper and aluminum I don't have to consider so need to keep that in mind. I don't have direct experience with the Aluminum and I am personally too much of a purist to go against what the mothership originally intended for these trucks so for me its the brass/copper all day. But the aluminum is a solid option for many. HTH.

Last edited:
So I see that some have a transmission cooler built in - does it use stock lines or do you have to redo the hoses for that?
That's a hundred bucks less than other two options presented, that's cool.
The ad says it uses factory hoses etc. so I assume the cooler threads are sized for factory 62 trans cooler lines. However I have only installed in 60's so I can't say 100%. You could probably call and verify.

do you currently have a radiator?
Where I live we still have an old school radiator shop that does great work. For my older rads, copper/brass, they go to the local shop for repair, they will rod them out and preasure check or re-core if needed.

I am running a couple of CSF rads in the 40 and 60, both were purchased over fifteen years ago and are doing fine, it is disappointing to see the current quality is poor, along with the shipping snafus / damage. Perhaps getting the original restored, as 3puppies mentioned, is the best course of action?

Perhaps getting the original restored, as 3puppies mentioned, is the best course of action?

I got my original restored and it got me just another year out of it. Switched to the CSF I have now after that. I think getting the original restored by a reputable shop is not a bad idea. Originals are far better than current options but I don't think the current options are bad. Its hit or miss on the CSF. There have been some issues clearly but prolly worth taking a chance on if you don't want to mess with the Aluminum or restoring the original for whatever reason. The CSF worked for me. HTH.

get OEM radiator re-cored if possible.

buy 4 core type aftermarket replacement for OEM radiator....rock auto.

Dont see anything listed on RA, I'll inquire at a local rad shop about fixing mine. I dont know the extent of the damage under the JBweld that someone put on there

I'm guessing that you can use a older radiator thats for a manual trans FJ60..(that has no built in transmission cooler) and install an aftermarket trans cooler.

Too bad CSF no longer makes the 2226 radiator, which was the 81-90 60-series w/o oil cooler ... It had a slightly larger core because of that.

Maybe group buy and they'll make 50 ? ;)

Dont see anything listed on RA

I'm guessing that you can use a older radiator thats for a manual trans FJ60..(that has no built in transmission cooler)

I think all the 2708's have the trans cooler now. @HMP , just change your year model on RA to 1984. You will see them then (keeping in mind what @Spike Strip mentions on 2708/62 fitment). They don't show on RA for your year model. I think CSF stopped making two radiator models, one with and one without the cooler and just started making one with the cooler. Likely RA just no longer has stock on 2709 for your truck, but thats a pure guess on my part. My 2708 with the cooler hole plugged with yellow plugs as I don't need the cooler:

IMG_5086.jpg

62015884653__75CAD88C-A0B6-4DE7-B7A4-9D197DE9B9FD.JPG

Another option @HMP:

Amazon product ASIN B000CFRLE6
Lots of options here. HTH.

Last edited:
Reactions: HMP
According to the CSF website, 2708 and 2709 are still being made. Website says 2708 is 4-core. 2709 is a 3-core. I'd certainly want a 4-core.

I was really impressed with the price and quality of the 3 core Champion Aluminum radiator I got, although I ended up not using it with my engine swap. I will eventually go back to using the champion and a different intercooler, just because of how nice the radiator is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom