New Project! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
Waiting and waiting, guess what shows up just after I left for the Desert Rendezvous?

whatsinthere.jpg

Here's some better shots:

shiny.jpg

personalized.jpg

Time to start cutting:D

Unfortunately the gas carrier was MIA.

There were no instructions included but Mud has covered it fairly well so I should be OK.

Very nice. Can't wait to see it installed.

Oh my! You let it get wet? How could you! You must have not driven fast enough after we split off in Dana Point! :flipoff2:

Making progress. . .

cut plan.jpg

scraps.jpg

strippeddown.jpg

Nice. how many blades/wheels did it take to cut the crossmember? :)

Getting closer. . .

tighten it up.jpg

done for today.jpg

Thanks to Brent (Brentbba) for stopping by on short notice to help with the heavy lifting!!

Luke reported that the gas can carrier had some problems with the powder cote and did not pass quality control. He will ship it as soon as the problem is corrected.

I noticed that both swing outs have some white overspray and will have to buff that off tomorrow.:mad:

Attempted to install the tire carrier but the holes on the carrier wouldn't line up with the holes on the swingout. It looks like some welding slag combined with thick powder cote is keeping the bolts from passing through the swing out. It looks like the bracket for the tire carrier may have distorted slightly during welding compounding the misalignment.:mad::mad:

That stopped me for today. Tomorrow I'll have to regroup and start fresh.

Love how it looks!

Nice. how many blades/wheels did it take to cut the crossmember? :)

I started with an expensive carbide sawzall blade and it seemed to cut very slowly. It smoked a bit and seemed to be melting its way through rather than cutting.

I switched to a standard metal blade and it cut great! I think I used five blades total; four long and one short.

Then I used a grinder to clean up where the cross bracing of the rear member was cut off and then a flapper wheel to smooth out the grinds and remove some rust.

Wow....just add rain water & look what happens.

Luke makes great products....Had mine a few years and still so glad I splurged on it..

Very nice Boyd, looks like you're almost done but if you need any help or tools give me a call.

nine four nine two three five one four nine four.

Scott

Happy to help after all the assistance you've provided over the years Boyd! The bumper is very, very sweet. Sorry to hear about the tire carrier alignment issue. Let me know if you can't find your tap and die set for that last capture nut and I'll bring my set up for you to use. I've got cutting oil as well.

Looks great Boyd, nice job getting done right away!

Had to drill out the holes in both swing outs and had to enlarge the holes on the tire support but I got it to work :)

image-1842836886.jpg

Now I have to find my spare lug nuts and get the tire mounted!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

image-1842836886.jpg

WooHoo!

image-2980429629.jpg

Now to move the plate over.

image-2980429629.jpg

Damn that 35" looks big on the carrier. Was going to respond the previous post telling you that the spare lug nuts were in storage! :flipoff2:

LOL! That's exactly where they were!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom