New Pig Owner w/ Brake Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me 1970 FJ55 (Jimmy Dean). I'm not new to cruisers, but this is my first 55. I have some brake questions.

Since my truck was made between 12/69 and 1/70, I only have a single circuit master cylinder, clearly no booster. I have a spare FJ60 front axle. I planned to swap the knuckles off of my 60 axle onto my 55 front axle so I get disc brakes. Nice! But am I going to run into any issues with the firewall or pedal bucket adding a booster and dual circuit master?

Also, does it matter if I use a 40 booster /master or a 60 booster / master? Clearly I have to run a new hard line, but wasn't sure what other pitfalls might be waiting for me.

Thanks in advance!

You might have to use a spacer behind the booster, so it doesn't hit the firewall. One other thing is the rear line uses 9mm fittings and the 60 will have 10mm fittings, so you'll have to make up a new line from the rear with a 10mm fitting on it.

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the spacer. So you’d go with a 60 master and booster rather than a 40?

I put an 80 series booster and master on my 40 when I did the 60 axle swap. Worked beautifully.

If you have it, switch the rear brakes from the 60 axle to your pig too. The single rear wheel cylinder in the rear is more reliable (IMHO) and the parking brake is better.

You want a hand yell at me, you know I'm close 😁

Thanks, Rory! This is where my OCD goes off the charts haha. I like “here is the part number, I’ll order it.” When there are this many variables and different ways to do it, it sends my mind for a tailspin!

I don’t have a 60 rear, but it seems like a good time to look for one!

If you are going to go dual circuit, also get a proportioning valve. Most guys go aftermarket, but if you’re just doing disc/ drum with Toyota parts, then a 60 series prop valve works fine. I use a stock 60 series prop valve on my dd. They are available new from cityracer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom