New member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
Just joined. I recently picked up this 40th Anniversary edition Cruiser. I previously owned an 03 4Runner and always regretted selling.
This truck has some issues and money is tight. I have new suspension coming in along with front bearings, seals and Birfield. I am hoping that will fix the loud moan I am getting from the front end when I get to highways speeds over 60. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also have a question, if my shifter handle moves when going over larger bumps is that mean motor mounts or something else?
Happy to be aboard. All help from prior experiences with this truck is appreciated.

IMG_0537.JPG

Grease in the Birfields. Add it. Valvoline Palladium. Probably the shaft bushings.

Check fluid levels too.

How many miles?

:flipoff2: Welcome!!

Nice 80. Love the 40th. Hit the stuff @BILT4ME said, and do the front axle when you can.

Good looking cruiser. I have not heard of the shifter moving but the trans mount rubber would be my guess. It's fairly inexpensive. I'm in your boat with having a tight budget. When I get down about having to fix things I remember it is a 20 year old vehicle and a cool one at that and when I overhear people at the office talking about how their 2 year old vehicle is in the shop again I smile. Mine is a lot older, has a lot more character and is easier to fix with help of the experience shared from this website. Enjoy it and welcome to the addiction.

Welcome to the addiction.
You're on the right track for things to check. Definitely check the fluid in the front diff and add some grease to the birfs and u-joints. You can remove the inspection plug (square bolt) on top of the knuckles and stick a long cable tie in them to check the grease level and to see if any oil is mixing in them. You can add grease through the same hole without a complete tear down.

:banana:;):cheers:

Spindle bushings can cause noise. It can also be your ring/pinion. Does the pitch change as you increase speed? If it does and then vanishes when you let off throttle it could be ring/pinion. It was for me.

Look for Zuk. He's the guy to rebuild your diffs if needed. It's all he does.

Spindle bushings can cause noise. It can also be your ring/pinion. Does the pitch change as you increase speed? If it does and then vanishes when you let off throttle it could be ring/pinion. It was for me.

I was going to mention such but didn't want to scare him. Hence the fluid check suggestion.

It does change depending if I am in throttle or letting off. It is a real deep sound when I let off and is higher pitch when in but still a deep growl sound versus high pitch.

Also what does something like that run for replacement cost?

Depends on if you need a new ring and pinion or just new bearings. Parts along could be +$600 if all is needed.

That said, I have a set of stock front gears I would let go for a song. PM me once you know more if interested.

Also what does something like that run for replacement cost?

Well, nothing about your Land Cruiser will be cheap. For labor budget at least $500 for the rebuild. Parts will be more. Check justdifferentials.com for kit pricing. It makes sense to plan for front axle service and rebuild your diff while servicing your front axle.

Your best bet is to do the front axle service yourself so you'll need to order those parts. Also budget for new axles with as many miles as you have. Don't buy them yet - examine your axles to see if the seal wore a groove in them. If there is a groove then you need to replace them. Pull the front drive shaft while the axles are out and remove the front diff. Box it up and ship it to Zuk for rebuild - he's pretty fast.

Does your truck have factory elockers?

Depends on if you need a new ring and pinion or just new bearings. Parts along could be +$600 if all is needed.

That said, I have a set of stock front gears I would let go for a song. PM me once you know more if interested.

Good call - I've also got a hogs head sitting in my garage. That's your fastest bet. The diff housing is different on a locked vs unlocked axle. My spare is for an unlocked truck.

I'd check all drive shaft u joints for the groan. Loose. Or dry. Grease the slip joints.

Trans bushings for the shake.

As for a bad pinion.. if it's been ran bad for awhile usually the seal will leak from the extra vibration. And if oem gears, and has fluid it's likely fine. The oem gears are stout.

Welcome Mud brother. I would start with the easiest and cheapest items to inspect and service first and then work your way up to the more difficult and expensive components. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Chk Knuckle Grease Level
Chk Front Diff Level (always loosen top plug 1st)
Chk Knuckle Stud Bolts and Caliper Bolts (takes 5 mins, peace of mind priceless)
Chk Radiator Fluid Level

Welcome to the Fetish.....tell your loved ones now your likely going to need an intervention

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom