New Member silly questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, been reading for a while.. and found some good info on site...

I have a few questions...but a little back ground first..
I'm aquiring a 1972 FJ40 from a friend's dad, So I'm going to use a friends truck to go get it... now this cruiser has been sitting in west Texas for 15-20 years so I know I've got a project ahead of me...

Now for the silly questions, what is the best way to get an fj40 that has been sitting that long on a trailer? the tires are well shot... should I get a help along and just work it up onto the trailer?

Also what is your guys recommendation of order of restoration? I'm really in no huge hurry, my goal is to have this thing in nice daily drivable shape in about 3 years.. Should I start with frame and body first? or drivetrain?

Any help or advice from the veterans young and old is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I have always found that using a winch is easier than a come along. I had to do the same with my '67 when I got it.
As far as restoring... it depends on how far you want to go into it and what the truck is like. I am finishing up a 3 year restoration on my '76 and I started with the frame (sand blasting, painting, axels, engine) then had the body blasted and replaced the metal. It is a lot of work, but in the end it is worth it. One thing that I would also look at first is to see if you can get the truck running. This way you know if you need to do anything with the engine.
I'm sure others have advise, but one this I will tell you is to be patient with what ever you decide... can't rush a restore.

get a trailer and a come-along to winch it into the trailer, it works perfectly and is easy. i'd do the frame and drivetrain first followed by bodywork

winch the rig onto a trailer, probably the easiest,,,
as far as rebuilding,, i'd decide on the drivetrain you want, acquire it, set it up in the frame w/ the body on.. then start w/ the frame, clean it up/repairs if needed, next focus on the body and set it up/repair it as needed, add creature comforts (bucket seats, center console, A/C, etc), then rebuild the engine/tranny and t-case and install them,, i'd rebuild the engine last so you dont have a rebuilt engine sitting for close to 3 years while you finish the rest., but then again, i ahve heard of 'correct' ways of storing an engine, but dont know the procedure,, ultimately its up to you, but regardless of how you do it, post pics! :beer:

I wouldn't give up on driving it on to the trailer! My first Cruiser had sat in a buddy's garage for 6 years until his dad wanted the space for his golf cart. I put a battery in it, some 2 stroke oil in each cylinder, and she turned right over but wouldn't fire. I did a little trouble-shooting on the ignition, cleaned the points and replaced the coil, poured some gas down the carb, and got her running. Drove it onto the trailer with basically no brakes because all the cylinders had dried out. I think the clutch master was dry and I added fluid and got it to work to get it home. I drove it off the trailer and into my driveway. I began with the brakes and clutch, complete tune-up bla bla bla. If I were you I'd stick a battery in it and heck you could even drive it onto the trailer with 4 flat tires, or at least inflate the tires with aerosol stop-leak.

Pete

I would put gas in it and a good battery it works for me. The last 4 cruiser I pick up all started up after setting for years.

My 67 sat up in a field for two years. Aired up the tires, put a new battery and new carb diaphram and the old girl fired right up. Drove it home 3 miles and put her in the driveway. Waterpump was leaking, but had good oil pressure. I personally would start with your drivetrain as I am, get it mechanically sound, good brakes, and work the cosmetics as you go. Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
I appreciate your responses.. it is in the town I grew up in, so my father is going to go take some photos, when I get them I'll post them... then hopefully labor day weekend I'll be bringing it back to DFW.

If you can't get the thing started, I'd recommend at least getting air into the tires before winching it onto the trailer, even if the air only lasts long enough to get it up there...makes a huge difference!

Which comes first?

I went through this exact situation a year or so ago with my 69.

It had been sitting since 1984. The previous owner rebuilt the engine then promptly had a stroke.

It sat there next to his barn and rotted away. (it didnt help that he also sandblasted the rear end just before the stroke, and it rusted real pretty)

I happened to have a compressor I used to air up the tires, and they held air just fine. As a matter of fact, they are still holding air from that day. ( a year later)

btw, they are probably the ORIGINAL tires.... H78 Dunlops...

Anyhoo, with the tires up, I used a come-along and that worked fine in about ~5 minutes.

Got it home, oiled up the pistons, rigged a fuel can/tank, a starter by-pass switch, and fired it up.. Runs like a top with high compression in all cylinders...

As far as where to start.. its not called a frame up for nothin...
After a COMPLETE DIASSEMBLY..
Start with the frame, (sandblast etc) then go, brakes, brake lines, shocks, rear bumper, wheels, hubs, mounts, engine back in after detailing (if its in good shape), Tub, dash and firewall, interior, fenders, Bib, hood, misc goodies, etc etc...

Anyhoo, right now I'm in between mounts and engine back in after detailing.

I will be starting a thread here real soon to show my progress.

:cheers:

Sounds like we have all had the same experience, The 71 I got sat under a lean to for 12 years and was covered in everything from chicken crap to almost a half inch of dust. It took me a day to get it loaded tho. I pulled the plugs and put oil in the cylinders and let it set while I worked on airing up the severely dry rotted tires. Only 3 would hold air but better than none at all. I turned the engine by hand while the plugs were still out, installed plugs, poured gas in the carb and had already put in the battery. I couldn't believe it fired up. I drove it on the trailer but the brakes and everything else was empty and / or frozen so the front spring perches hit the front of the trailer. No big deal. The bad part is when I unloaded it. I was by myself and didn't wanna wait for my buddy to help unload so I put sand bags at the end of the ramps, two high, unhooked all the tie downs and raised the landing gear on the trailer as high as it would go. With a little shove on the front bumper she rolled off the trailer, over the sand bags and through my garage door. Boy was my wife Pissed!!!! haa..
Good Luck
Kevin

nspctr1 said:
Sounds like we have all had the same experience, The 71 I got sat under a lean to for 12 years and was covered in everything from chicken crap to almost a half inch of dust. It took me a day to get it loaded tho. I pulled the plugs and put oil in the cylinders and let it set while I worked on airing up the severely dry rotted tires. Only 3 would hold air but better than none at all. I turned the engine by hand while the plugs were still out, installed plugs, poured gas in the carb and had already put in the battery. I couldn't believe it fired up. I drove it on the trailer but the brakes and everything else was empty and / or frozen so the front spring perches hit the front of the trailer. No big deal. The bad part is when I unloaded it. I was by myself and didn't wanna wait for my buddy to help unload so I put sand bags at the end of the ramps, two high, unhooked all the tie downs and raised the landing gear on the trailer as high as it would go. With a little shove on the front bumper she rolled off the trailer, over the sand bags and through my garage door. Boy was my wife Pissed!!!! haa..
Good Luck
Kevin

LOL, that sounds like something I would do. We had similar drama when we went to pick up a parts truck recently. My Dad had the ramps to my trailer so I brought some drive on ramps figured they would do the trick. Not even, the ramps cracked, it took two high lifts, a floor jack, and two comealongs to get it on the trailer. After which the 36 inch tire fell through one of the rotten boards on the trailer. It was one of those days. We can laugh about it now. And why these trailer company's don't use treated wood on these new trailers is a mystery to me. They could make a good "Real Men Of Genious" song for our kind. LOL.
:beer:

Keep in mind, it's much easier to work on the engine and tranny if the body is not in the way. If you're gonna restore the whole thing, I would pull the body first.

Got another silly question, I tried to search but the criteria is too small for it to work.

F vs 2F engine. What is the advantages / disadvantages of the F engine that in theory is in the 72 I'm going to go pick up over Labor Day weekend.

Also I'm ignorant when it comes to these engines right now... reading anything I can find... so any good websites about the F and 2F engine would be great.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom